Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1388

Thread: Open Wheeler Toy

Wow!
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Why not slot the 5.7 into the current car?

Can you flip the ring gear in the merc transaxle to get the crank centreline lower?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

No. On both counts, LS weighs 50 kg more than what I have, that's too much more and sadly no, I can't flip the transaxle, the ring gear will not fit on the other side of the pinion.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

So lots of engine tilt/high cg/smashed cvs is the answer? Can't help but think a subaru transaxle is a better deal.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Yes, will just have to live with the high centre of gravity. The whole venture has no real reason or purpose, these things just happened to fall in my path so I picked them up....

Lets see where it all goes? I've got some other bits and pieces to add to the mix, alloy calipers? 5 stud 114.3 wheels & discs, A Ford Probe bodyshell, Toyota Yaris electric P/S, some fabricated uprights for front and rear & etc.

A Velo seat and a set of harnesses...

Gee these LS are easy things. I was looking at it, thinking, I reckon if that inlet was facing the other way that would suit my fitment better, wonder if I can do that? Google : yes you can. Easy!

Hmmm well imagine that....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fly-Garage-VW-Caddy-V8-37.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	111629

I dragged the LSJuan out of the shed and gave it a quick bath with the pressure cleaner to knock most of the rat shit off it. Popped it back in the shed and removed the intake to rotate it around to get the throttle at the rear and stripped the wiring for the COP's as Microsquirt has to run wasted spark, so needs to fire 2 plugs at once. Strange thing I found, an earth wire on the PCV pipe? Anybody know why?

I've just looked at the above photo, and thought, ute, where would I find a ute? Ah, fuck me there is a bloody XH ute of my father's round the back of the shed!.....

So the "earth cable" is actually a heat transfer cable to stop the PCV valve freezing up, straight to the bin for it.

I was looking at what is required to run the LS from a Microsquirt and something kinda dawned on me, there are very few sensors required and one of them is crank angle, and of course because of the wasted spark arrangement it only needs crank angle. Ordinarily (without wasted spark) it would also need need cam angle also...

The thought of an LSJuan in the tray of a Falcon ute is tickling my fancy....We don't have inspections here in SA could just run it around illegally till it gets defected.....

Stock LS computer should do anything you'll ever need.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Except that I have a Microsquirt and don't have a stock LS computer...

Is loading the racecar on it's trailer on thursday afternoon to early for a sunday meeting?

Feels a little scary but I'm sure I've done everything that was meant to be done.

Haha good work, that's something I never managed. Getting it on before lunch Saturday must've only happened a couple of times in 5 odd years.
    If in doubt, flat out!

Off to Collingrove again tomorrow, Lets hope things go smoothly, it's been a bit of a rough trot for the start of this year. Between timing issues on the track and an engine failure we really haven't had a good run at it. Sadly the weather forecast isn't smiling on us, 95% chance of 5-15 mm, so probably just a long cold day at Collingrove with a damp slippery track for the 15" slicks to slide around on........

Good luck mate, ratings racing just got to take the heart off your sleeve for a few hours and get to business. Are you steering?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

I had a lacklustre day, I wasn't in the best frame of mind after the Lib's won the election, How the fuck did that happen? I mean really are people so self centred as to elect that bunch of criminals again. Fucking Barnaby Fucking Joyce is back in I can't believe it. Mutter mumblefuck......

The car is making strange noises from the transaxle, muttermumblefuck, fucking engine's got a miss, hmm still got the plugs it had in the wreckers yard, change them, miss goes away.....fuck that box is making some noise, and it's popping out of gear, mumblefuck, tighten up the detent springs, not really better.......It is still terrifyingly quick, still needs tyres with grip and today the young fella set the faster times of both of us, no great surprise.

The weather was kind to us, I got caught in a brief hailstorm at the top of the hill, I think each of us only had one wet run out of 8 runs, then it pissed down as we were finishing loading it at the end of the day.

So I'll have to pop the back off the box and have a look at what is going on in there......

How wide are your tyres? Considering you only want to hill climb it and it's almost always cold and moist at collingrove, have you though about a narrower grooved slick? A smaller tyre should help to get some heat into it quicker over the run and the grooves might also help with cold grip.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by da9jeff; 19-05-19 at 08:19 PM.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Groove the tyres and life will be way better I reckon.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

I've got a pair of 315/660-13's in A15 on their way......

A bucket full of gears....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0928.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	111743

Nothing to serious wrong, 2nd gear dog ring pretty sad and the gear dogs showing some wear and tear, a replacement dog ring and it will all go back together.

I went through and checked the set up of everything, but it all still makes sense and seems to be where it should be.....I'll have to put it all down to operator abuse!!

Bronte Rundle Motorsport had an open day at their new facility on saturday morning. They have been around forever but I've not really had anything to do with them, but a guy whom a good friend gave an apprenticeship has landed up there (after a spell with BMW and Ferrari here in Adelaide) So I thought it would be fine to catch up with him and have a nosey around. There was a great turn out, many familiar faces.

BRM run F4 cars for several people and they were there to be examined, the overwhelming impression was, cheap ! I guess being a one make series they might as well be, but as a race car they were very much a pragmatic construction. All four uprights are the same and cast iron! The floor/diffuser is plastic and wrapped in an imitation carbon wrap! I reckon the rear wings were extruded alloy. Still, I suppose it doesn't matter, given they are all the same and changes allowed are minimal, choice of 3 different springs, sway bar settings and set up, is as far as it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    All four uprights are the same and cast iron!
    Iron? Or steel?

Cast steel? Fucked if I know! certainly didn't look like aluminium.....

Opens
    Yearly running cost for the F4s is marginally less than FF in their heyday, getting a nicer upright would only add $$. There's plenty up here with the mounting ears ripped off. Wings are basically for looks rather than function, so no point spending money there either. Most accurate indication of the design cheapness is the big bit of alloy plate they had to add behind the pedal box to stiffen the bulkhead when they arrived here.

There were about 7 cars at the last round and with Cams offloading management a few weeks back, have thoughts they might join the other OW attempts of recent decades.

Apparently the alloy plate was a result of Billy Monger's accident...

I do wonder why the mentality regarding racing cars is so different in Australia compared to New Zealand, there seems to be more in N.Z., more tracks, more involvement, just seems to be a larger part of the Kiwi life?

Opens
    From memory, the Mygale homologation update preceded that accident, applying the brake was flexing the whole shebang and giving inconsistent pedal. There's a small loose leaf book of things that have been approved to fix various issues. They've certainly been built to a price, mongs assembling them used heater hose submerged in the fuel tank on some to the pump, as one hilarious example.

One advantage of NZ is they can run in summer, whereas here, most people's idea of hell is the track at 30 degree plus. Be interesting to see what the new F5000 does here, but even a 2 litre OW car has capabilities far beyond what the demographic, who will likely be buying them are capable of controlling.

I have to wholeheartedly agree with the 2 litre OW having capabilities beyond....I do sometimes wonder why I bought a transaxle capable of taking 1000 hp and building a twin turbo V6, when an FT 200 Hewland and a stout 2 litre 4 cylinder would have been plenty scary enough !!

Another day at Collingrove, done. I didn't enter, I had not renewed my CAMS license promptly enough and once I had I didn't get my shit together to get an entry to this meeting, just a stupid clusterfuck on my part. Young David however, did enter, so I supported him, well, I say supported, yes I got the car back together and got it up there for him. Only to realise that I'd not filled it with fuel, a quick trip to Nuriootpa for $25 of BP 98, sorted. Lesson No.1.

First run there was a bit of a miss, hmmm, How's the battery voltage ? 8 volts, rising to 10 at 4000 rpm. So I jumpered one of the start batteries onto the car battery and before the second run we had 12 Volts in the car battery and the miss was gone. It seems the battery is only good for one day with both of us running the car and should be recharged before the next meeting. Lesson No. 2.

Lesson No. 3 is, take a hint from Pilots, make a check list and use it.

The rest of the day went well, but it was cold and times were ordinary. He tried a couple of different things and had a couple of offs but I don't think it was a waste of time.

I picked up a new wheel bearing hub for an AWD Magna rear from sprints this afternoon ( I already had 1 and presumed I'd lost one, but perhaps I hadn't.....) it had me reflecting how quick and easy it would be if one were simply purchasing and assembling pieces.

I'm using the drive flange and CV from a Mercedes Benz 100D van ( because that fits the driveshaft and inner CV of the MB 100D transaxle that I'm using) I had to dissmember the mercedes front upright to remove the drive flange then spend a few hours in the lathe turning the drive flange down to fit a Mitsubishi Magna front disc over it and then had to turn it down to fit it inside the bearing hub and further turn it so there was a flat face on the rear should it be necessary to fit wheel studs. All of this so that I've got a smaller lighter bearing hub and one that bolts onto the fabricated upright that I have and can use the 5X114.3 stud pattern so many manufacturers use.

We got a set of shafts made for the previous one, that was an $800 hit I wanted to avoid this time!