Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Nurburgring track days - advice needed

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    What software does it use?
    Not sure, it was 75k to set-up I know, can ask.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    7 gears versus 6 I'd say - we topped out at 223 with two 115kg guys and luggage.
    Funny you should say that. I had a new X3 with a 2.0 diesel and 8 speed last week. Best I could manage was 223kph. Fucking amazing car though- flawless active speed sign recognition and display on the HUD was the highlight. Never realised how much less stress there is when you donít have to keep wondering what the last sign was you went past.

Overall a good whip- can cruise at 180-190 all day whisper quiet and took a belting like a champ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5FC3C9E5-C9FE-43A9-B4C8-A3DBA5FD4190.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	111882

First time coming up in 3-ish weeks. Not hiring a car from the 'ring but going to lap it in my in-laws Touraeg. Those excesses for the 'ring hire cars made me do a little pee. No thank you.

When you get there they sell you a reduced excess for a couple of hundred Euro. I ran the gauntlet and didn't crash so happy with my decision but they have priced it intelligently I think.

You'll have fun in anything don't worry

The weather was only just starting to come right when I was there early this month so didn't go to the ring. Post snow I did have some fun on the autobahn touching 270 indicated and much time at 240 - 250 having little races with various fast German cars.

Went just into Austria for all sorts of enjoyable roads on the edge of the alps as well.

Car was brand new (24 kms only on the odometer). Lots of fun had, will do again next year and hopefully also a shot at a rental on the ring.

Name:	m2_snow.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	111917

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    The big insurance excesses from the ring hire co's are a good excuse to drive with your noggin and not try to set pb's first time there

The bulk of the accidents seem to be people in their own cars so maybe its a good deterrent

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...

Quote Originally Posted by TriPod1 View Post
    The weather was only just starting to come right when I was there early this month so didn't go to the ring. Post snow I did have some fun on the autobahn touching 270 indicated and much time at 240 - 250 having little races with various fast German cars.

Went just into Austria for all sorts of enjoyable roads on the edge of the alps as well.

Car was brand new (24 kms only on the odometer). Lots of fun had, will do again next year and hopefully also a shot at a rental on the ring.

I was there last week and it was min 8C and max 24C. Raining 2 out of 5 days so not great but not snowing

Quote Originally Posted by sssgtr View Post
    First time coming up in 3-ish weeks. Not hiring a car from the 'ring but going to lap it in my in-laws Touraeg. Those excesses for the 'ring hire cars made me do a little pee. No thank you.
    FML. Nordschleife closed all this week for the 24hrs. Poor planning 6 months ago on my behalf, otherwise would've made time to stay for the whole race. Might try to get in next week if we have time.

Quote Originally Posted by TriPod1 View Post

Nice! May I enquire as to rental cost?

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    The big insurance excesses from the ring hire co's are a good excuse to drive with your noggin and not try to set pb's first time there

The bulk of the accidents seem to be people in their own cars so maybe its a good deterrent
    Totally agree. Lots of internet heros until you start seeing people crash in front of you. Especially Russians with money and no talent.

I was most worried about being caught up in someone else's crash and being an innocent victim. RSR told me this would still be my cost.

Which is why the guy who seemed to be having the most fun was driving a stripped Pug 105 on R-specs. Car was probably worth $1-2k max and he likely gave no farks for if he crashed it.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

The costs don't only just come from the car - it's a minimum of like 600 Euro if they have to send the truck out for you, and if you damage fencing its per m, etc etc.

I think you can do the ring at 8/10's and keep a margin for error and still have the most amazing experience.

I've probably discussed before but RSR were awesome to me and my mate.

It rained so hard out of nowhere on the second lap they red flagged the circuit for an hour - RSR gave us that lap back and extended our time on the rental.
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Quote Originally Posted by StanM3 View Post
    Nice! May I enquire as to rental cost?
    About AUD$200 per day out of Munich Airport (Sixt) - 300km limit per day and about a 1 euro per km after that. Its quite hard to exceed the 300km limit without actually living in the car (villages, traffic and corners make your average speed quite low).

Managed to get a ticket for 39km/h in a village with a 30km/h limit - 9km/h over in Germany is the grand total of Ä15 ..........................

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I think you can do the ring at 8/10's and keep a margin for error and still have the most amazing experience.
    this.

Also +1 for RSR, nice bunch of guys to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...