Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: ECU Tunes and Installs

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    20v 4A's don't have dampers, and I am using a custom top feed rail anyway. so no damper
    did the damper sort the issues?

Oo___oO

Sorry to say that I havent had enough time to plumb it in between supersprint rounds and working on that piece of shit BHG soarer. The AFRs are safe so it hasnt been super high on my priority list.

Will report back once I get around to it. About to go to yurop for 4 weeks so will probably happen after that
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

so for those that havent seen the build thread, i've been un-fucking the wiring in my soarer for the past few months. it runs a vipec V88 ecu for the engine, and a suprastick V4 for the transmission

From this:

To this:

The milwaukee M12 soldering iron I recently picked up was super useful also when the fuse box caught fire and I needed to splice in a new fuse box on the street

Also fuck the vipec software is clunky af..

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    You know what though, I still love the test injectors and test ignition options!
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

do not many ecus have that? adaptronics do (and iirc haltechs do? but cant say for sure)

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    I think only Link Adaptronic. It's so fucking useful.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

MegaSquirt's do as well

Anyone want to recommend a good wire crimper, looking for something that can do Toyota spec connector pin's.

not mil spec items just your general loom item's
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Should be in the next or the one after on Haltech. The next might be the live data actually..
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Quote Originally Posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
    Anyone want to recommend a good wire crimper, looking for something that can do Toyota spec connector pin's.

not mil spec items just your general loom item's
    Something like this.

https://rhinotools.com.au/product/pa...minal-crimper/

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    Should be in the next or the one after on Haltech. The next might be the live data actually..
    Has having Andy on board at Haltech sped up development/new features much? It seems Haltech seem to be implementing new things fairly often now?

Also noticed there doesn't seem to be much new happening with Adaptronic?

I know my mate (ex adaptronic engineer) who has recently joined has been powering through updates for the haltech software. Adaptronic stuff I hear about the odd thing in the background but definitely seems to be priority #2 compared to making the haltech software less shit

So much I want to say but can’t.. updates coming fast are not always a good thing
    im a cunt

Opens
    So much I want to say but can’t.. updates coming fast are not always a good thing
    double edged sword...
    bleeding edge vs leading edge
    etc

yeh, the big updates have been worth the wait tho, and the bigger ones will be worth the wait
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Motec and Emtron do. Very useful for chasing faults

you will notice the first part of this is done in ESP 2.38, it now shows live data for all inputs in the wiring allocations page, even for unassigned inputs...
    im a cunt

you will notice the first part of this is done in ESP 2.38, it now shows live data for all inputs in the wiring allocations page, even for unassigned inputs...
    so if one was to invest in a haltech. how long should we wait before the best hardware updates/tweaks come into effect? or is it firmware and software thats changing
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

The hardware for the current range still has a good 5 years in its life cycle if you go off the life cycle of the sport 2000,

All future firmware updates will be as normal and user updatable,
    im a cunt

I don't know if this is a generic ECU thread or not so apologies if this is terribly off topic but have any of you done much with the Haltech VMS?

Very, very tempted. I get to keep the superiority of a carburettor while enjoying the benefits of EFI and it looks fairly future proof for different engine combos.
    Last edited by chartreusehj; 15-12-18 at 03:18 PM.

i have one on a car.. its only running 6.20@225mph..
    im a cunt

Is the price difference to a 1500 worth limiting yourself in the future? There is no reason not the get an ecu and repurpose injection channels or leave them incase you decide to go to an injection throttle body or manifold in the future?

a VMS is $1495 RRP with a terminated harness... a 1500 cannot do direct fire on a V8... so if you don't want to run waste spark you need a 2500..

the VMS is a fucking insane unit for the price,

we removed everything off this car, IE MSD Grid, electromotion timer box, shift control box etc and replaced it all with a VMS and now we are doing the trans control with it that the grid couldn't do as well as a heap of other things, the car has droped .15 off its PB in only a few meets,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OtsSPT8eXs
    im a cunt

Price structure makes it worthwhile then.

That thing looks remarkably settled for the speed.
    Last edited by Slides; 10-01-19 at 09:45 PM.

General question to anyone,

Is there anything you wished you wired up to your ECU but didn't?

Talking like just random thing's instead of one o2 sensor maybe individual, or better hall effect sensor on the crank?
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Opens
    I wish cared about idle control 15 years ago.

Talking like just random thing's instead of one o2 sensor maybe individual, or better hall effect sensor on the crank?
    after going from a Cam mounted crank sensor (RB26 CAS) to a proper 36-1 crank trigger the engine runs WAY better. night and day difference. wish It was my first mod is retrospect. nothing wrong with the optical sensor itself, but worn camshaft drive keyway and being driven by a rubber belt is a shit system. when my engine was going together the only option was Ross but they had big problems back then with belt alignment and were only rated to 600hp. lots of off the shelf options now with a 1000hp ATI so was its far easier to DIY it these days.

Initially didn't have an exhaust manifold pressure sensor when I did my setup. not so much an issue for wiring, but installing it into a ceramic coated manifold that is installed the car is a bit of a mess.

I've also found using a pre-throttle map sensor to be useful on the Emtron for a Modelled throttle mass flow and optimizing the boost control.

also, leaving a short auxillary 12v/Gnd/CANH/CANL/120ohm resistor accross it on a deutch plug ready for an inevitable canbus connection is also a good idea. I've ended up adding a EGT box and GPS unit to mine, and it was plug and play. didn't have to touch an ECU plug.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 11-01-19 at 09:59 AM.

Oo___oO

If the car is in constant development (always upgrading, changing things between events, etc) then data is everything.
    Fit in as many temp, pressure, position, etc sensors that you can and log it all.

i initially didnt set up a fuel pressure sensor in my aw11. remedied that fairly quickly however

So, in Jan 2019 is it still worth getting an Adaptronic M1200? I.e. are firmware updates still coming out, etc
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence