Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: long term econ tests: aftermarket coils and other stuff

Did you get the injectors cleaned/checked???

If not I wouldtake a punt on the injectors being the source of the drop in economy.

Fuel composition varies, even at the same octane rating, and from the same retailer, and at the same time of year. Even if you only compare data from the same servo, at the same time of year, variations still exist and will effect power, and thus economy.

Lubricants break down and get contaminated over time. Replacing them with new, and where reasonable thinner, fluids should help.

Aerodynamics are a major factor at and over 80km/hr. That's part of the reason your mates wagon is more economical than your ute.

Had new wheels and tyres on this

In one thread you say you went from 17's to 18's

That makes a difference

- I run injector cleaner regularly. And though ute now runs smooth as fuck, getting them tested is still on the 'to do' list.

- Ute is well maintained with quality lubricants and shit. Anything to do with engine and suspension is regularly checked and repaired to keep car at optimal level.
    For the year i have been doing the econ tests, there are slight variations recorded from tank to tank for various reasons, some you mentioned, and have allowed for small % +\- variation from tank to tank. Increasing drop and dramatic drop recently would not be due to those slight variables.

I'm not trying to build the most economical car in Oz, so comparing against other cars is irrelivant.
    I'm simply exploring to see what i can do to make my car as economical as possible.
    Goal is to get it down to 9-10L\100Ks.

- Don't see why running 17s then 18s would make a difference, the end result is the tyre circumference will still be the same.
    17s run 45s and 18s run 40s...plus econ tests were either reset when i put 18s on, or that's when i began testing.

Halfway through 2nd tank since manifold clean, car is now slowly increasing econ while crusiing at 80-100Ks.
    I've now dropped to 12.4 L\100K. Still way off my original of 11.3.
    Heading into Lonnie today to chat with Dyno tuners.
    "Let's not jump to conclusions" - Mike - MST3K

If I had to guess as to a cause of the difference I would say your o2 sensor was unhappy with the bottle of manifold/engine cleaner that was put through it.

Also I like this thread because I feel competitive with my 1uz at 10.9L/100km.

Since you've only been monitoring it for a year it could still involve seasonal, and long term variations in fuel composition.

Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    Since you've only been monitoring it for a year it could still involve seasonal, and long term variations in fuel composition.

Quote Originally Posted by ls400x View Post
    If I had to guess as to a cause of the difference I would say your o2 sensor was unhappy with the bottle of manifold/engine cleaner that was put through it.
    Yep, quite possible. I ran injector cleaner in 2nd tank. Started increasing econ during higher speeds by halfway, but not by much.
    Just filled 3rd tank in Lonnie, with an ECU reset @ petrol station. Had 20-30% thrash on the way home in the rain, 40 min run. Econ went from 12.7 to 12.4.
    Normally does not increase econ while caning it.
    Possible run to Hobart on sunday. Drive sedately all day with 3-4 hrs of 110 K speeds.

Also I like this thread because I feel competitive with my 1uz at 10.9L/100km.
    I like this thread too...without any competition feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay17 View Post
    - I run injector cleaner regularly. And though ute now runs smooth as fuck, getting them tested is still on the 'to do' list.

- Ute is well maintained with quality lubricants and shit. Anything to do with engine and suspension is regularly checked and repaired to keep car at optimal level.

For the year i have been doing the econ tests, there are slight variations recorded from tank to tank for various reasons, some you mentioned, and have allowed for small % +\- variation from tank to tank. Increasing drop and dramatic drop recently would not be due to those slight variables.

I'm not trying to build the most economical car in Oz, so comparing against other cars is irrelivant.

I'm simply exploring to see what i can do to make my car as economical as possible.

Goal is to get it down to 9-10L\100Ks.

- Don't see why running 17s then 18s would make a difference, the end result is the tyre circumference will still be the same.

17s run 45s and 18s run 40s...plus econ tests were either reset when i put 18s on, or that's when i began testing.

Halfway through 2nd tank since manifold clean, car is now slowly increasing econ while crusiing at 80-100Ks.

I've now dropped to 12.4 L\100K. Still way off my original of 11.3.

Heading into Lonnie today to chat with Dyno tuners.

Though I note you started your econ tests afterwards, I will say that a heavier wheel/tyre takes more torque to get up to speed (look up moment of inertia). Though as a counterpoint this helps maintain speed. Depending on the nature of where and how you are driving, 18s could be dentrimental.

Quote Originally Posted by th0r View Post
    Though I note you started your econ tests afterwards, I will say that a heavier wheel/tyre takes more torque to get up to speed (look up moment of inertia). Though as a counterpoint this helps maintain speed. Depending on the nature of where and how you are driving, 18s could be dentrimental.
    I agree 18's are heavier, thus more fuel used to get up to speed than running 17's.
    But running 18's for the past 12 months has nothing to do with the slowly decreasing econ over the past 12 months...unless the wheels have been slowly increasing in weight over that amount of time.

Did a 90 minute cruise to the rainforest this morn, econ quickly dropped to 12.0

Hasn't been that low for a few months, so the manifold clean is a huge improvement.

Got resistence numbers from Goss coils the other day to check how they're doing since installed 6ish months ago.
    Just to check if there's anything screwy with my electrics and has damaged the coils.

On the list thus far now is...
    - injectors damaged\worn\clogged and aren't being cleaned by regular use of injector cleaner fluid.
    - one or more of 5 sensors faulty.

Definitely heading to Hobart sunday arvie. Will stay in cruise mode to see if it'll drop to under 11.0

Suggestions. if you have a laptop download forscan and buy a cable for it, or if you have a android phone getting torque and a Bluetooth adaptor, will allow you to see stuff real time, would recommend forscan over torque for the better choice
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Quote Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
    Suggestions. if you have a laptop download forscan and buy a cable for it, or if you have a android phone getting torque and a Bluetooth adaptor, will allow you to see stuff real time, would recommend forscan over torque for the better choice
    Cheers, looking into this...Forscan also comes as an Android app.
    So many adapters and price ranges to choose from...

Did the Hobart run...econ down to 10.9L\100K...nice !
    So the manifold clean was definately required. Dirty manifold was a major element to the econ.

However, when i did the same run early last year when i went there to grab me mags, i ran 10.7...so i still got more work to do
    And i notice ute chews it more when i get up it compared to last year, and there's an inconsistency with how the engine runs,
    just slight things noticed in the various driving situations i experience.
    Seems your Forscan advice is well timed, Tripper, as either i got one or more uncleanable injectors or there's one or more sensors playing up.

Been a while since i updated thread.
    But imma still doing my tests.
    Been months since i did manifold clean, and ute is still consistently running 11.3, so that's a good thing, thoug i imagine i can still get that down some more.

Haven't done any more econ improvements due to discovering i might have serious structural issues to deal with,
    as after slight suspension upgrade, outer edges of tyres were prematurely wearing out at a fast rate, thus getting full structural analysis done in march.
    ( suspension and steering is all at optimal levels)

Everything, more suspension and DBA rotor upgrades are on hold till this is done, even though i got me front DBAs and race pads sitting in my tool shed,
    bought them before becoming aware i might have severe structural issues.
    Last edited by Jay17; 12-01-17 at 02:59 AM.

I loled at severe structural issued.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Did you end up getting an ultrasonic injector clean?
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Definitely this guy is dealing with some severe issues.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

when will you be publishing your SAE paper?

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by Jay17 View Post
    Been months since i did manifold clean, and ute is still consistently running 11.3
    That's fucking stout. What MPH?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Did you end up getting an ultrasonic injector clean?
    Nope, just basic manifold clean. I'm back to econ i had when i first got ute, so i'm okay for now.
    Structural inspection is march or a bit later.
    No more econ improvements till after report.

Though thorough clean of injectors remains on the to do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Salim Mehajer View Post
    Definitely this guy is dealing with some severe issues.
    How so..and specifically what issues have you determined?
    Last edited by Jay17; 18-01-17 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    when will you be publishing your SAE paper?
    When they approve my grant.

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    I loled at severe structural issued.
    Considering you don't know the specifics of the possible structural problems...

Quote Originally Posted by crack View Post
    That's fucking stout. What MPH?
    Thread is about econ...11.3 is L\100kms

What sort of business does vehicle structural inspection and what do they charge? Genuinely interested

Serious question how does some tire wear lead you to structural damage?

Has your wheel aligner queried accident history? Can you visibly see cracked welds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

How much money have you spent so far chasing poofteenths of a decrease in fuel economy and how much have you saved in fuel as a result?

What sort of business does vehicle structural inspection and what do they charge? Genuinely interested
    Gary Presnell Bodyworks
    Invermay

Spent a long time explaining the history of the car i acquired after i bought it, and the type of things i wanted checked.
    Want the most thorough inspection they got.

$500
    Full structural inspection for all possible issues. With certified written report.
    I like these guy's attitude and professionalism.

There's also F.T Guy bodyworks in Lonnie, but he don't do certified written reports.
    Also maybe Micra Accident Repair Centre out on the hiway roundabout heading south out of Lonnie, may do them.
    One would think they do considering the size of the bloody place.
    Last edited by Jay17; 20-01-17 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Serious question how does some tire wear lead you to structural damage?

Has your wheel aligner queried accident history? Can you visibly see cracked welds?
    I follow the clues and evidence, seeing as the ute was a repairable rightoff.
    Obtaining documents a year after i got it shows repaired structual damage.
    Problems only started showing up after slight suspension upgrade.

Might be nothing wrong structurally but won't know unless i do thorough inspection.
    All i know is, based on inexperienced measurements of body and wheelbase, there's something screwy with the front end, be it crossmember, suspension or subframe.