Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vic Time Attack - Philip Island 1st April 2016

Was an epic day but also a tough day at the office for some. Watched some poor buggers pride and joy off chops time attack evo burn to the ground. Minor engine bay oil issue apparently kicked it off and the rest is history. Commiserations. You never want to see that. But, shit like that tests the mettle of the organisers and they did the best they could in the circumstances as far as making everyone safe and getting the show back on the road. Yeah, I am biased as promoter is a mate, but fucked if I would put my arse (and wallet) on the line to run these when so many things completely out of your control can go pete tong.

As far as the day went, there were some interruptions earlier in the day with cars finding their mechanical and talent limits, but it got rolling hard in the afternoon and made for an epic day. Seeing the Sigsworth PMQ emo up close was a highlight. That thing is a work of art and quietly punched out a 1.29. Bonkers!!!! (Demonstration class....a data gathering exercise aroubd tyre stress at PI in the hope pro level cars get to play in the future.) The rest of us mortals stumbled around in the 30's. The Vspec guys fronted up with some epic GTRs including a legit R33 400R (in midnight purpo) and some bespoke nismo awesome. On or off the track there was something worth a look.

For me, PI is fkn epic. I don't completely love aero, but I do love sequentials and boost. So it was a good day.

Fucken mint. Burying the jandal et al.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

1.29 holy shit! You'd have to have some balls to steer anything round PI that quick. Mick is a pretty underrated driver imo.

Really sorry to see the evo burn to the ground, like setting a match to $200k, so cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by cossie55 View Post
    Good luck Dougmo, hopefully you can win it outright this year, certainly you seem to have the equipment to do it this time...
    surprisingly i wasn't last!

^^^ If there was a spirit of the event award you would have nailed it

Some video of one of my laps. Not my best work. Lit the tyres up out of MG which hurt my exit speed and also got a little untidy through 12. Linked it together a bit better later in the day but suffered the flat camera so no evidence so it didn't happen Only get to drive the car once a year so its tough to get it under control in one day. Had also had some much heavier springs installed. Maybe a bit too heavy as it did seem to want to slide fully hooked up in high gears (turn 12...nicotine stained undies) where it didn't last year. But was an epic day. I definitely need a sequential and maybe some boost in my life more often. Bring on next year!!!!

mega effort mate, next time it may be best if we stick just with beers....

here is video of my rocket, as you can see very similar pace to blaise above

Quote Originally Posted by dougmo View Post
    here is video of my rocket, as you can see very similar pace to blaise above

Classic stuff George! Looked like you could have had your elbow out the window listening to the AM/FM. Very calm.

i could even put on a dvd, with the A/C on too pat

Jason was nice enough to let us run the sports sedan in the demo class, didn't mount up the dorian but was nice to finally go sub 35! some awesome machinery down there.
    Profi

Quote Originally Posted by profi View Post
    Jason was nice enough to let us run the sports sedan in the demo class, didn't mount up the dorian but was nice to finally go sub 35! some awesome machinery down there.
    top effort man

Jeez BP that RX7 is pretty stabby but very fast.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Couldn't find a thread anywhere else, but figured here was a good place to start. I've not raced my MX5 for a really long time, but have coerced some of the guys who used to race to dust them off and have a run next month at Morgan Park. My car has been doing sprints at Lakeside with the old man driving, so we've been using 2nd hand Kumho V700's & Nitto NT01's. When I drove it I found slightly more time out of the Kumhos, but it wasn't much. All the tyres we have are well past their best, so I'll buy a new set. What's the latest hotness in 225/45/15 semis?
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Not sure on sizing but the yokie 050 or hankook seem to be the hotness for outright pace on semis.

Thanks, Yokies is what I was thinking. Getting sick of Kumhos delaminating too.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Have heard of guys struggling to get the hankook to wear evenly too. Yokie would be my choice. The Medium compound is a pretty good all rounder. Ran mediums on the time attack car. Serious guys run softs. Run a soft front medium rear on porka. Seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougmo View Post
    i could even put on a dvd, with the A/C on too pat
    Haha...mate at least you're out there and having a bit of fun. Good for you.
    Looks like a good event. Must get down there one of these years.

this event is coming around again for another year, looks like a great turn out too

and pmq and tilton will be a sight to see at PI

BP in the rx again with more upgrades (and BP i am bringing reinforcements from Tasmania over for friday night)

ill be there in the starlet again (that now sounds good with quads but is still epicly slow)

lightyear still in?

dates?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

friday 6/4

The fast MX5 that I am building for Time attack Clubsprint won't be ready. So I have to enter my stock 1.8 powered MX5 into Modified Class. I don't have a hope of getting into the top times with 90kw's. But I am making aero upgrades, and getting the car looking nicer for the event. Best I can imagine is a 1:48 for this car. It needs a V6 conversion next. But that will have to wait until the other cars are done.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

I will be heading down to watch. there is a dinner happening the Friday night from what i understand with the time attack builders facebook group. but who knows if that will go ahead
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear View Post
    The fast MX5 that I am building for Time attack Clubsprint won't be ready. So I have to enter my stock 1.8 powered MX5 into Modified Class. I don't have a hope of getting into the top times with 90kw's. But I am making aero upgrades, and getting the car looking nicer for the event. Best I can imagine is a 1:48 for this car. It needs a V6 conversion next. But that will have to wait until the other cars are done.
    stock
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Geez this has come around fast. Mega line up. Looking forward to coming over for the action on and off the track. Dougmo, you didnít need reinforcements. Now I am afraid. Looking forward to hearing the ITBís sing a song. Should be a great event. From what I know the dinner is definitely on. Check the Vic time attack fb page. I think they need confirmation of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    Geez this has come around fast. Mega line up. Looking forward to coming over for the action on and off the track. Dougmo, you didnít need reinforcements. Now I am afraid. Looking forward to hearing the ITBís sing a song. Should be a great event. From what I know the dinner is definitely on. Check the Vic time attack fb page. I think they need confirmation of numbers.

There will be plenty of time to hear them sing down the straight mate (as it takes a long time to get from one end to the other in russell!)

yep dinner looks to be on, cant wait

if the planets all align i wouldn't be surprised to see tilton in the 24/25s

Saw on FB that the MCA VR38 powered 86 won't make it down unfortunately. Looking forward to seeing it in a couple of weeks at Jap Nats in QLD though.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Sounds like Sigsworth is out as well which is a bugger. Such an amazingly built car.

Whys that ^ ?

siggworth said work commitments, mca car not ready

tilton is testing at pi tomorrow i believe so its game on

Phew..thought he had car dramas.
    Thanks George.