Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: BEAVIS' White NB Turbo Track Car

Tony - could the issues you experienced be somewhat attributed to restrictor? *

* I have no dog in this fight but interested in your thoughts.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

VALVE SPRING UPGRADE
    While the engine block was away, we kept ourselves busy installing the Supertech Dual valve springs.
    First time I'd had the cams out of the head for this car, thankfully it again all looked quite nice and the process was fairly trouble free.
    Slightly frustratingly, one of the titanium retainers was a mismatch from the rest of the set - must have just been a mis-pack in manufacturing. Trackspeed arranged a replacement sent directly from Supertech which arrived within a couple of weeks.

And, naturally, here's a video of the install process, somewhat of a guide but don't take my word for it, seek professional advice:

Quote Originally Posted by bbeavis View Post
    Interesting, I've not heard of main caps being a big issue in my travels. I believe the target power level be well within the capabilities of the OEM mains for now.
    The new pistons did indeed come with upgrade gudgeons.
    And thankfully already running some ARP head studs.
    Yeah. Of the four circuit cars I know of that have run bp motors all four cars have broken std caps.
    Somehow mine was the most reliable in that area only ever cracking one in 5 years.
    One of the others used to have a broken cap or two after a couple of meetings before we had main cap straps made.
    They were all ipra cars requiring big boost down low, so you might get away with it if you don't have that big whack of boost down low.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Tony - could the issues you experienced be somewhat attributed to restrictor? *

* I have no dog in this fight but interested in your thoughts.
    A fair bit as ipra cars go all in down low but you don't need a restrictor to get lots of boost down low.
    Originally Posted by Tut
    THEY SHOULD ANALYY RAPE THEMSELVES WITH A FUCING CACTUS UPSIDE DOWN WITH COCONIUTS AND PINEABPPLES AS CHRISTMAS BALLS THE FUCKNIG THIEVENG CUNTS ID RATHER DIE FROM HAVING A RAINBOW UNICORN URETHRALLY RAPE ME THAN TO FUCKNIG DO BUSINESS WITH THEM CUTNST EVER AGAN

Quote Originally Posted by bp18t View Post
    Yeah. Of the four circuit cars I know of that have run bp motors all four cars have broken std caps.
    Somehow mine was the most reliable in that area only ever cracking one in 5 years.
    One of the others used to have a broken cap or two after a couple of meetings before we had main cap straps made.
    They were all ipra cars requiring big boost down low, so you might get away with it if you don't have that big whack of boost down low.
    Ahh, I think that puts it a little more into perspective... IPRA competition is probably a lot more fierce than me verus myself and a stopwatch
    I won't be over 16psi or so, and power is indeed higher in the rpms.

Should be fine then.
    Originally Posted by Tut

ENGINE REASSEMBLY BEGINS
    Once the block was ready, Beavis senior and I booked ourselves out for a weekend, and got to work on the re-assembly.
    All went fairly well, as it's mostly just reinstalling OEM Mazda parts. There were the odd little hurdles and gotchas. Such as the need to clearance the windage tray slightly to fit the larger ARP main studs, and the general tense moment that is gluing the oil pan back to the block.
    I also took the opportunity to utilise the Madjak sump baffle template and cut out some sheet aluminium to hopefully aid in maintaining oil pressure under high-g braking.

Here is the montage cut of the Engine in the rebuild phase:

Quote Originally Posted by bp18t View Post
    Yeah, i reckon you would have been running more boost down low than beavis will run all up
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

ENGINE BACK IN THE CAR
    By the end of the second day, the engine was back in the bay.
    And then a couple of evenings after work later I had all the engines 'appendages' back together with all the various plumbing all sorted.
    This meant essentially everything was almost ready for that 'first-start' moment.

The video of the completing the engine reassebmly and install into the car:
    Last edited by bbeavis; 03-01-19 at 07:26 PM.

TIME TO FIRE IT UP
    Suffice to say, this was a strenuous and tense moment. Firing up the 'new' engine for the first time.
    It all went about as well as we could've asked. As suggested by my Dad, we pulled the spark plugs and spun the motor over for a while to build oil pressure. Then, with the plugs back in, the car started up almost instantly and ran like a dream.
    Literally the most thrilling moment you could ever ask for. It really sounded so smooth, and of course that was on the old tune....

The video of that thrilling first start:

Which neatly takes me onto the next step in the process. Dyno time! But more on that to come soon, for now I'll leave you with this picture:
    Last edited by bbeavis; 13-01-19 at 09:14 PM.

The suspense is killing me!

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Well kinda good news, have had the car out for one test day at Phillip Island. It was a bit of an adventure but overall I can call it a success.
    Still taking the time to go at things slowly and not try not to break anything. So with some help from engine management genius Alex, we added some safetys to the ECU, got the car all setup, and started to put some laps in.

In general, the car drives perfect, it's sitting at nice happy oil/coolant temps, and pulls pretty well with the circa 220rkwk/300rwhp.
    We fettled with trying to get the electric water pump to be more efficient and responsive to coolant temps to try achieve target in the mid 80's, said fettling came with some pros and cons but in the end I think it's working pretty well now.
    I did hit AFR safety cut a few times which can be concerning. Reviewing logs it may be a result of an alternator cutout setting in the ECU resulting in voltage drop, fixed now, we hope, but it'll need another track day to confirm.
    And, I am really not enjoying gear changes at all, this 6spd is fairly fresh, but it felt really difficult to use and hard to find the right gear. I'm going to see if I can try a different trans fluid in the hope it may help.

Somewhere along the way I also managed to find the time to redesign the dash again before the track day, made the dash more usable/functional and with again some Lambo inspiration.

The bad news, only had the car out for the one track day so far :-(
    Just been busy / otherwise occupied with things and haven't had a chance to get back out. I really need to find a quiet test day to put in a lot of laps and dial everything in, it's hard to do that on a typical busy sprint day, so I think a Friday at Winton is in order.

Video from the day nonetheless:

More LSRX8!

Nah this is great. Love that the mx5 is finally back on track

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rowdytoot; 12-04-19 at 08:36 PM.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

plenty of poke, what tyres you running Beavis ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    plenty of poke, what tyres you running Beavis ?
    A050 in 225/50/15

On the upside, I do have some good excuses for why I haven't had the NB out and about.

For one, we had a great day of fun in both the BEAVIS NA's at Haunted Hills. The red car has more grip, the white car has more power. Ending in somewhat similar laptimes. Both cars run Hawk HP+ brake pads, which performed perfectly. However the red car desperately needs some real shocks, the original stuff from 20 years ago is not doing the car justice.

Secondly, I foolishly spent a day in ankle deep rain supporting the local MX-5 car club skidpan driver skills day. It was actually really great fun, and I wish I'd brought my car along to have a proper go.... but I instead had a great time just helping others in practicing skills in a safe environment. Hopefully next time we'll have a little less rain pouring down.

A video of the Haunted Hills track day for your interest:

I didn't actually know you had a build thread on here - I came across your Haunted Hills video on YT that you shared above (found it as doing a HH Day for first time on 18 May and went looking for Vids) and then spent about a day watching some of your other videos over the long weekend
    It would be great if you could do more of the same style (Talking through laps of track) at other tracks

Quote Originally Posted by albo View Post
    It would be great if you could do more of the same style (Talking through laps of track) at other tracks
    I would like to, but they take a LOT of time and practice to get perfect... someday when I get out on track more and spend less time working for the man like a pleb I'll hopefully be able to put some guides together

What times are you running with the new setup? Looks like a bit of an escalation, which is always good hehe

Quote Originally Posted by blue_s15 View Post
    What times are you running with the new setup? Looks like a bit of an escalation, which is always good hehe
    Still gotta find some spare time to get out on track so I can actually set some laptimes. Stay tuned!

Well it has been a while since I've been to Winton.
    But, finally got back there over the weekend (well, Friday actually) for a test in the Turbo NB. Despite some pretty soggy weather, I am generally quite happy with where the car got to by the end of the day and how the car performed in terms of consistency and reliability.

It's come a long way, have spent a lot of time on building this little fella, it feels good to drive it again. My utmost thanks to Alex for his assistance on the day and his electrical/ECU/etc expertise, the car is running near flawless and it is largely to his credit.
    Still more time to improve as always, some slightly damp spots on track and I need to improve brake cooling.

Nonetheless, got a nice 1:32.3 lap in video:

Top work. Makes me wonder how all those seppo MX5s get away with the flat plastic front bar cover that gives zero ducting to brakes.

My Italian 510

A lot of them take the hoses off the same inlet used for the radiator.
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

I suppose there are many ways to skin a cat. I'll put some proper ducts together before the next outing.

Lots of them look like they are just sticking the open end of a duct into the air stream, which i cant see being overly effective. Perhaps if they added a NACA duct or similar to promote lamina attachment, but even then im not sure there is enough distance between the front surface of the bumper and the radiator to maintain surface attachment through the NACA.

Some good stuff from Willem Toet on the AM Nimrod brake ducts here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/air-d...ns-willem-toet
    Last edited by takai; 16-05-19 at 12:46 PM.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I put my ducts into the radiator opening. why make more holes in the bumper?
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Well the MX-5 Club of Victoria & Tasmania had the opportunity to visit our interstate friends in NSW for some friendly competition. I went along with no intention of doing anything silly, and no high expectations from myself or the car. My number one priority was to bring the car home safely, and hopefully unbroken.

Firstly, some pics:

So at the end of the day I took the car out for one last session. By that time I'd started to get comfortable with the car again and pushed about as hard as I felt safe into the braking zones. Somehow, I found about another half a second improvement on my previous best that I'd set in the session prior to net a 1:02.9. I believe it is a new club lap record for the MX-5 Vic club & also faster than the existing MX-5 NSW club record?

I don't know how the car did it, in the grand scheme of things its putting out a comparatively conservative 300hp. That is perhaps a lot of grunt for an MX-5, but there are MANY MX-5's easily pumping out a lot more to the wheels. And it runs the same A050 Yokohamas as many other vehicles, so again, there's nothing that outrageous or special about the car.

A huge thanks to the MX-5 Club of NSW for hosting the event, and putting on a wonderfully efficient day. And thanks also to my fellow Victorians for helping bring home a club victory.
    Finally, and most importantly, utmost thanks to Beavis senior for acting as crew chief for the weekend.

As is the norm, here is a video of a lap around Wakefield Park. This was my best lap of the day with a 1.02.9 in the Turbo NB.

That's a cracking time! Congrats!

My Italian 510

Thanks Guido.
    Definitely beginning to get my confidence back with the car.

Bit more grip and its going to be a weapon.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5