Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 4WD Chat Thread

Good to hear. I don’t think mine are. Is there a way to check? What’s the difference?
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Don't the 1HD blocks do some expensive shit at around 400k? I reckon his has done something terminal in the block so he's swapped the FTE block in.
    Early 1hdts had big end issues, toyota replaced them, even outside warranty period. Ft and fte blocks are identical, no stamping difference to determine between the 2 apart from an engine number

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Good to hear. I don’t think mine are. Is there a way to check? What’s the difference?
    They have “G2” on them
    The sidewall “treds” are also unique and different shapes on each side.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Yeah i looked at the difference between the 1HD-FTE in that 80 compared to a 100 series and your right it looks heaps different?

It Places the lotion in the basket!

Its and FT, not an FTE - FT came in 95-97 80 series so the add is partly correct.

So i looked at Newcastle Diesels Facebook page mentioned in the ad and it is an FTE Coverted to FT.....For reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    So i looked at Newcastle Diesels Facebook page mentioned in the ad and it is an FTE Coverted to FT.....For reasons.
    Best reason is to piss off all the Toyo fanbois who can't afford the only decent motor they sell
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

So want a cheap 4wd for use about once or twice a month for offroad /camping trips. Pretty set on a Prado vj95 but finding one with less than for around 5-6k with less than 300,000km on it is not very easy. The ones that are around that price have all fucked paint and/or rust. That said, seems like 500,000km is fairly easy with these. Seems like thousands of these driving around Brisbane, but relatively hardly any come up for sale. I guess says something about reliability, and people wanting to let them go.

Alternatively I can buy a Pajero NM or NP for around 4-6k any day of the week with about 2xxx,000km good paint, and look to be in overall better condition and about 4-5 years newer. I know not much love for the Paj among the bogan brigade, but are they all that bad?

Is it really going to matter considering how often I'm going to drive it?

Don't even know whether I want 3 cars longer term tbh... So it may end up I end up selling my lib and just driving the above daily... even though fuck the liberty shits it in (7.x L/100km and 12L city) while being great to drive. Not sure I can do the soccer-mum mobile daily.
    Last edited by fury; 31-01-19 at 08:40 PM.
    your former friendly cambodian dictator

Nothing wrong with Pajeros, and no Toyota tax. The Pajero as a model is coming upto 40 years old in the next couple of years, with current models basic bodyshell nearly 20 years old. So they can't be a bad vehicle.

Yeah getting the best possible Pajero in your budget is not a bad choice. Try and get a 3.5 if possible not a 3 liter V6.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah getting the best possible Pajero in your budget is not a bad choice. Try and get a 3.5 if possible not a 3 liter V6.
    This! You want the 3.5 at minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Associate took a new Uras out to the beaches on the weekend.. seemed to manage the soft sand tracks pretty well from the vids he was posting on Insta.
    @coconutphotography for anyone keen for a gander.

lambo on the beach? that is fucking keen. I'm betting it wasn't his.

Oo___oO

Couldn't see Urus pics on beach on his page just a small vid on a dirt track.

Couldn't see Urus pics on beach on his page just a small vid on a dirt track.

https://www.instagram.com/coconutphotography/

In the Urus stories should be more than just pic/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    lambo on the beach? that is fucking keen. I'm betting it wasn't his.
    Owned by a car business he's partners in.. so i'd avoid buying it off them if looking for 1

are there any maps out there for trails on stradbroke? i want to go down some of the inland paths, but not sure what is sand mining roads only etc.
    camped ages ago at a spot near black snake lagoon, got there by boat. can't figure out what path to take down there without just winging it
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Haha as you do.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    are there any maps out there for trails on stradbroke? i want to go down some of the inland paths, but not sure what is sand mining roads only etc.
    camped ages ago at a spot near black snake lagoon, got there by boat. can't figure out what path to take down there without just winging it
    Straddie is a tough one. Your vehicle permit will come with a map, however only really shows the main drives across the island. There are huge amounts of tracks, some with awesome views, but gates need to be driven around for them to be enjoyed and therefore aren't mapped. The drive down to Jumpin Pin (sp?) is well worth it for a good drive and a fish. Whole day thing though with tides.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Straddie is a tough one. Your vehicle permit will come with a map, however only really shows the main drives across the island. There are huge amounts of tracks, some with awesome views, but gates need to be driven around for them to be enjoyed and therefore aren't mapped. The drive down to Jumpin Pin (sp?) is well worth it for a good drive and a fish. Whole day thing though with tides.
    Cheers. Didn’t get a map, may have to acquire one next time from their office. I actually don’t want to go on the beach if I can help it, hence following inland trails.

Rocking some 32s on the q7 now

Already been up some stupid rocks that it previously just spun tyre on

Might go a 2 inch shock spacer for abit more lift ( the no pics was not impressed when I ripped the side skirt off)
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Quote Originally Posted by summoner View Post

Saw one of these in the flesh today. They look pretty aggressive. Much better than Bentley’s attempt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Quote Originally Posted by fury View Post
    So want a cheap 4wd for use about once or twice a month for offroad /camping trips. Pretty set on a Prado vj95 but finding one with less than for around 5-6k with less than 300,000km on it is not very easy. The ones that are around that price have all fucked paint and/or rust. That said, seems like 500,000km is fairly easy with these. Seems like thousands of these driving around Brisbane, but relatively hardly any come up for sale. I guess says something about reliability, and people wanting to let them go..
    So I waited a bit more.. I ended up picking up a VZJ95R for not much more than a station shitter.. fuck I love chinese students! Paint on the roof is fucked and some spots on the bonnet, but everything else seems to work fine - and it doesn't look like it has done heaps of offroad. Well at least minimal rust/bashed chasis. Engine top end is leaking like a sieve; but then again so were most of the ones I looked at that were a few k more. A couple of hundred $ in gaskets and a days mucking around should see that fixed I am pretty sure.

After some cleaning/polishing the rest of the car came up pretty nicely.. at some stage may get the roof + bonnet resprayed I guess. Anyhow, need a few things before I get offroad, but can't wait to get out there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190223_174929123_HDR-01.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	110504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190223_175027228_HDR.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	110505  
    Last edited by fury; 03-03-19 at 07:24 PM.

nicely done. they're a solid old jigger. valve stem seals are the only real issue my olds have had with theirs, but it does pretty damn well considering how horrendous they are at maintenance.
    '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
    '09 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrad
    You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

Valve stem seals don't seam to be a problem on this yet.. no smoke at idle or things. Thats the impression I get for these sorts of cars, people get lazy on maintaining them as they just keep going. One I looked at was leaking power steering fluid everywhere when I crawled under. Alternator had been replaced too. When I mentioned this all to the seller they were like "oh really" (woman, hot, either acting dumb, or not acting )

Driven it a few decent trips so far now.. typical Toyota blandness, but its not too gutless around town. Driven a little in low range, everything seems to work well, even the quaint up/down pop up aerial thing. Found out the yumcha stereo even has bluetooth, score!

About to order all the top end gaskets from partsuoq, so I can fix the oil leaks and then getting around to the endless accessory trap.

Has anyone got any experience/feedback on EFS shocks?

Fury,
    throw some valve stem additive / softener in the oil at the next change - it's cheap insurance..

Has anyone got any experience/feedback on EFS shocks?
    I had them on my first GU - ride was pretty firm (hated speed bumps) but had it for a few years and no leaks/worked OK.

No idea what version they were but I would hesitate to use them again due to the firmness of the ride on and off road.

cheers
    Gaz
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au