Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: Project Car: 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner build thread!

The guy with what appears to be 3 car holes and a hoist needs a big shed. Cunt.

Bugger on the box, good to know I am in the ballpark though as I got a quote to rebuild mine today - $2.5-3k depending on what they find inside (may already have a shift kit, whether it's a mess or not etc). Who doesn't like breaking the news that you're going to spend another few grand on the car you drive 2-3 times a week.

Progress is progress nigger, is a good thing!
    Hide yo' wife!!!

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    About $2-2.5k for a "built" box is about right, depending on how much of the core is fucked. My $2k turbo 400 is good for about 800 NA or with a small shot of gas. After that then you need to look at shafts if you constantly want to beat on it. If you put a brake in it, then definitely needs shafts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Hey just because I have shed 'realestate' doesnt mean its useful I kinda wish I could fuck off a few carpark spots and add 2m to the height of the workshop. Might look a bit ugly though to be fair....
    2-3k seems normal for the box. The annoying thing is, $1500 of it is fucking labour, not parts. Pity I dont know shit about boxes (mechanical or female if im honest).
    You drive your car 2-3 times per week? Shit son! My roadrunner has done less than 1,000k's since I built it. That is 2013 to now.... Though i'm hoping to rectify that issue.
    I need to install child seat anchor points while I am at it....

Yeh I've priced the parts, but I can't buy the knowledge or skill sadly.

Yep - twice a week doing the drop off/pick up for daughters AFL training and at least one joy ride a weekend if not two.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

1000km since 2013! Mine's done more than that and it's been in pieces since September, 2014. Get to it!

I noticed that with my A-518 rebuild as well. It was about $4k with the OD and supply of the gearbox, a stupendous amount of that was labor. I imagine that's just how it works.

Thats the go man. Emerald is actually a good place for this, as my car is on club rego, and everything is less than a 14km radius from home. Sweet.
    I need to check out what is needed for anchor points. My beast doesnt even have rear seatbelts so probably need to fix that too....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    1000km since 2013! Mine's done more than that and it's been in pieces since September, 2014. Get to it!

I noticed that with my A-518 rebuild as well. It was about $4k with the OD and supply of the gearbox, a stupendous amount of that was labor. I imagine that's just how it works.
    Yes im not proud.There was no real reason to not drive it before with the big block if im honest, but it was just such a pain in the arse as I literally couldnt use it outside of winter months. It would get hot as fuck almost instantly (probably because of the megatonnes of fuel it was converting into heat and noise every second).

I've actually got a set of front and rear sway bars to fit up as well, which will improve the around town cruisability factor. I should probably install those too.

Quote Originally Posted by 68RNR View Post
    Thats the go man. Emerald is actually a good place for this, as my car is on club rego, and everything is less than a 14km radius from home. Sweet.
    I need to check out what is needed for anchor points. My beast doesnt even have rear seatbelts so probably need to fix that too....
    John at Gasoline Alley in Brisbane should be able to sell you some period sympathetic looking seat belts to match the interior.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Fuck I love this thing...

+1 for Hoff/Cleveland Exhaust tuna.. Not at all bias though...

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    John at Gasoline Alley in Brisbane should be able to sell you some period sympathetic looking seat belts to match the interior.
    I had no idea they had that sort of stuff... I thought those guys just did resto and repair work. I'll check it out mate thank you! I think I already have the mounting points in the car, but if not it isnt a huge deal to make something up anyway.

Opens
    Nice work dude, let me know if you need anything

Opens
    Love this car. This thread needs more YouTube links.

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Nice work dude, let me know if you need anything
    Thanks big dog! I will know on the weekend if everything works properly or not. I think electrical-wise we are pretty sorted. I will give you a yell when I can get the thing down to the Hoff, as I expect you will want to be present.....

Quote Originally Posted by myliberty View Post
    Love this car. This thread needs more YouTube links.
    Agreed. There has been a serious fucking drought of video content due to the car not actually working. Hopefully this weekend I can rectify the situation.

If it helps at all, I did take some shit videos while i was trying to sell the big block. Did these with a go-pro, so the sound is a bit average, but you get the idea. Might keep you amused for now....

John/Gas Alley did my belts when they complied it back in 2013, still look mint. Only regret is not getting inertias in the back too.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Yep, Gasoline alley have their own belts manufactured. Can get what ever colour as well.

If you just need belts, a call is all that's needed. If you need mounting points as well, they can do that and sign off on the mod plate.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Did my seat belts on Monday. Rare Spares bloke had Australian made and ADR complied belts with 150mm drops. Lettuce know if you want details and Ill check the paperwork when I get home - I'm sure it was $170 each side.
    Name:  Buckle.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  69.0 KBName:  Belts.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  51.4 KB
    Last edited by mizone; 02-08-19 at 03:25 PM.

Mornin' lads.
    Been a few weeks since the last update again. Lots of shit to sort out.

Had some ongoing issues with the haltech to sort out. I got on the phone to Haltech on Friday, they remoted in through my laptop and had a fuck about with the tuning. Essentially since I locked the VVT out (locked the cam phaser) it had put the trigger offset out. I ended up sticking a timing light on it and finding the correct offset. We then found out that I was 360deg out. Once we fixed that, Vaughan from Haltech was able to get it running.
    Fast-forward to Saturday - Car wouldnt start. Got Timmy on the phone and we stuffed around with a few things before deciding the plugs were all fouled (again). So I then set about the fun task of removing and cleaning 16 fucking plugs.
    Once that was done, we tried again. Car was doing a weird thing where it would start easily, then just die in the arse after about 3 seconds. No amount of throttle seemed to help. It ended up being a combination of things, but primarily some weird shit in the fuel and ignition tables. Timmy worked his magic and we got it running pretty nicely! Positives are A/F ratio is good, and the timing isn't leaping about all over the shop like it was before the cam phaser lock went in. So it looks like we are on the right track!!

I made a couple of vids of it idling. It really needs a tune as it isnt revving out very cleanly, but you get the idea.

So after all that, I slipped the thing into gear, and it is again trying to move the car / stall the engine. It isnt actually as bad as before though. I initially thought that I was going to be pulling the converter out, but after a few calls this morning, I spoke to Brinks who suggested it is probably just that the idle is too high. So I bought the blood pressure down and am just going to dyno the thing before I get carried away.

Only other issue is this fucking cunt of an alternator. Still cant get this thing to work. Chain of events as follows:
    1. Tried Chinesium solid state voltage regulator - Initially didnt work
    2. Re-wired chinesium regulator - worked, but over-charging the system and trying to fry everything (running at 17v and slipping the belt).
    3. Ordered you-beut best ever setup from Alternator Man in the USA - modified driver for the alternator, and a new mopar-style regulator. Installed everything as per instructions, alternator does absolutely nothing. Not a thing.

So fuck me. Why is this so hard? Have emailed USA man to ask WTF. Kinda hard to run this car properly without an alt. FML.

Vid of it running (sorta). Fuck my shed is a mess. I blame my children.
    Last edited by 68RNR; 19-08-19 at 10:20 AM. Reason: because fuck you

Got feedback from Alternator Man in the USA. I wasnt running a dedicated ground to the voltage reg, so he advised I do that. I did that last night and still no bueno. Fucking fuck. I hate auto electrics. I emailed him back again and he rekons the voltage reg is fucked. *sigh*. So he's sending me another.
    It really shouldnt be this hard.

Damn it. What a pain over such a simple part!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Damn it. What a pain over such a simple part!
    Yes. It is pretty frustrating. It really shouldnt be such a bitch.
    The new modified driver that I got from Alternator Man, I believe that changes my alternator to the same style of 'regulation' as your unit, so I can then just control it with the same style regulator you have (they look the same anyway). So I can only therefore assume that if I get a reg that works, then the system should be fine... Now I have to wait for the reg to be shipped to the aus post forwarder in the US, then shipped here..... etc etc. FML.