Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Targa Tas

Targa Tas

Anybody going? Anybody competing?

I am in Burnie and have some free time this week and don't know how easy it is to get to good photographic locations. (Although Hellyer Gorge is pretty local). Anybody care to hook a brother up with some location tips?
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I know Marlin is down there on the spanners and support for Close/Reeves in the 991 GT3 Porka. I am sure there are plenty of others involved. Not much help on spectating as have only been a competitor and you don't seem to notice where the good vantage points are.

Main site is here https://targa.com.au/tc/

Road closures here https://targa.com.au/tc/page_standar...asset_id=24144

Maybe look to see where a stage makes a 90 degree turn from one road onto another. You should be able to use the part that isn't on the stage to drive in and out and not be affected by road closures.

Already some stories. Close/Reeves lead in GT2. YT in the Dodge Viper cops a 1 min penalty on the very first stage for breaking out of the minimum time by about a second or two. The idea being they set an easily achievable base time for all day 1 stages to give people a chance to get their eye in and not have to go too hard out of the box. And on stage one it has a minimum time you aren't able to go faster than which is unique to that stage. They will be kicking themselves as 1 minute is a heap to make up and there are questions as to whether their tyres would go the distance as they only have the choice of a soft OEM Kumho? Its looking dry for the first few days and now he is going to have to push to find time.

Regardless of the easy base times, someone had a decent shit mixer on stage 2 (BMW 2002) resulting in the stage being downgraded. Pretty devo to end your campaign 1 stage in.

Reeves is a good mate of mine, his 9th Targa as a nav I think. Member here also, but not active anymore. Unreal car they are in - I thought it was a GT3 though from memory.

Have always wanted to go a spectate at Targa. Is Targa spectator friendly, or do you just sit at a corner waiting for cars to go by?

Quote Originally Posted by tipper View Post
    Reeves is a good mate of mine, his 9th Targa as a nav I think. Member here also, but not active anymore. Unreal car they are in - I thought it was a GT3 though from memory.
    He is a gun nav. And yep, car is 991 (latest model) GT3 Porsche.

Re spectating, I think if you have a bit of a plan as to where to be and get from stage to stage it would be good. But essentially it would be finding a good spot on a stage you can get access to and watch the field come through (Car approx every 30 secs. ) and then move on to the next one and mayeb get to the lunch stop to see them all in parc ferme.

Anyone seen an entry list to see what colour the Close/Reeves car is?

^^^You at the targa bar already ? Or a reference to viper feaver?

Also notice the 1 min time penalty has been dropped so YT back into the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    ^^^You at the targa bar already ? Or a reference to viper feaver?

Also notice the 1 min time penalty has been dropped so YT back into the lead.
    No drinking yet mate. This is serious business.
    We are sitting pretty, rest easy.

Ha dog cock red
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Just realised Darkside, I forgot the italics.

How are the Kuhmos's looking 2 days in Woo?

Will be seeing if I can get somewhere to take pics tomorrow, and popping in to see the car display in the evening.
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    How are the Kuhmos's looking 2 days in Woo?
    Better than expected actually.
    Last edited by Marlin; 12-04-16 at 09:50 PM.

Death is for pussies... 6000SUX's Avatar
    I'm down here in the tour section in a BMW i8.
    Can I wear the Scream mask? The mask from Scream... when I do you from behind...

Banned
    I see Ben Manion is driving his late fathers (Tiger) sti and is cleaning up as usual.
    Hope it stays together for him as his old man spent a zillion $$$ trying to get it reliable.
    This kid can drive I can tell you.

Opens
    ^^ But can he surf! Thought you were going to comment on the cheater spec thing cleaning up in EM.......darkside could no doubt relate too!

Quote Originally Posted by 6000SUX
    I'm down here in the tour section in a BMW i8.
    PJs swapped for cardigan and cloth hat eh. Mr Herridge given it away totally?

Newman out of the driver's seat of the Sti today (he's not feeling it). Glenney getting in, with my old Nav Tim sliding into the silly seat.
    Will be interesting to see how that goes. They're starting 1:25 behind Benny boy.

Last night I turned down doing the rest of targa in the P1 that's running 999. Not a decision that needs to made every day!
    Last edited by Marlin; 13-04-16 at 05:44 AM.

Banned
    gxxr can any race car driver surf? Big fat NO.
    Ever seen that ad where Mark Webber paddles a surfboard about
    as bad as me driving a F1. KOOK KOOK.

Thanks for the update Marlin. Reckon Ben Manion was doing a top job. Will be interesting to see what time the new crew can or can't make up.

Very tough call on the P1, but you have a job to do

Quote Originally Posted by gxxr View Post
    ^^ But can he surf! Thought you were going to comment on the cheater spec thing cleaning up in EM.......darkside could no doubt relate too!

Gxxr not quite sure what you mean. feel free to elaborate.
    Last edited by darkside; 13-04-16 at 10:33 AM.

Yeah Ben is doing s great job.

Hey Woo - if you get the chance can you have a quick look at the Duursma & Wodhams V6 Lotus (Car #151) that is running in GT Sports. I'm curious as to what they have in regards to a 1/2 cage given it's a 2 seater.

I have a mate with one that I might be able to convince to come and do it if they haven't totally farked the car up.

Epic battle at the front of GT2. Marlin, the pressure must be on supporting one of them. Although gives you a sense of how hard both YT and Closey are going clearing out on the field by 4mins.53 secs in essentially 2 days..... or maybe they are both cheating...... Would have bene pretty one sided for Closey without YT to spar with.

Some cracking times by Kaplan in the Walkie but assume he is in demonstration class as he isn't in the overall results that I can see.....And Glenny is taking the piss making that quick climb to the top of GT4 time sheets...

Plenty more stories to come no doubt.

Yeah there's a fair gap between the properly quick guys and the rest of us mortals. Hopefully Glenney gets a GT2 drive one day as well. The rule changes don't seem to have slowed them down much. Some of those times seem to be just as quick as they have the last few years under the old regs.

And I must say - I think this year is the first year since I've stepped away that I can truly say I wish I was there. Might have to do something later in the year - whether that be THC or even just a tour with Peter Washington and co.

Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

*Pew* *pew* *pew*

That Viper gearbox is 2nd and 3rd workout.

Shit news for that red Porsche, I hope they had no luggage in the back.
    Last edited by Greg Rust; 13-04-16 at 10:02 PM.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

It's very interesting to see the differences in strengths between the GT3 and the Viper and awesome to have them battling so closely.
    This GT3 is a stunning car, it's literally standard except the brake pads and an Akro exhaust. The pace it can do on road tyres is blowing my mind. 261 on Sheffield for instance..... and it just laps it up, launch control every time, 9k rpm every gear.
    Matt and Cameron are doing a great job and they're having a ball doing it. As are all the guys in the White's team.... we all love it.
    Not half way yet, so we all keep it in perspective!

funny cunt, looks like the same place as the viper had issues.

this signature intentionally left blank

Hahahhahahaha,

He is the master of the straight faced piss take. Much respect for the self made man spending his hard earned well.