Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping looms - what's the hotness?

Wrapping looms - what's the hotness?

So, got a wiring loom I'm reworking for a change in ECU - pulling apart the old loom I've decided that I'm too old for electrical tape wrapped looms and being covered in sticky crap everytime you pull a loom apart... anyone used this stuff:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Loom-Tape...HXl4wonLI56N0A

Otherwise, what's the hotness? Mesh and corrugated plastic loom tidy stuff is out for this job, needs more flexibility than the corrugated stuff provides, better environmental protection than the mesh provides.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Been using Chinabay cloth loom tape on our shitters. It's minimal sticky compared to normal stuff. Survived 18 months in the engine bay of my ute so far
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Cloth Tessa tape ftw, I have a few rolls if you want one when I'm back in bris.

Or good quality electrical tape and sealed/split loom as needed for runs. Nitto or 3M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

It's Nitto tape that's left the shitty fucking mess.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I have also used a glueless harness tape for my Mini loom, that I sourced from the UK, although I believe it's available locally nowadays.

The above suggestions look well worth exploring too.

Certainly conventional tape is too sticky & makes the harness too bloody stiff.

Glueless loom tape always seems inordinately expensive when i've seen it - I guess you use a band of heatshrink or something to tether the loose end?

Speak to Tim, that large thick heatshrink looked the business on his vq 910.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Sparky at work uses self amalgamating tape and non split tubing with junctions. The amalgamating tape is pretty sweet for wrapping the back of connectors and junctions to make them weatherproof.
    Not sure how he gets the wires through but there must be a trick to it.

eBay cloth tape works good and probably looks a little neater.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    It depends if you are wrapping a preterminanted loom, or creating a new loom from scratch.

Equipment I use:

SCOTCH® SUPER super 88 Electrical Tape. This stuff has the highest adhesive temperature rating of vinyl tape I have found. It also comes in wide roles which is great for looming.
    Cabac braided sleeve. Comes in lots of different sizes and offers great wear resistance to a pretaped loom.
    Glued heat shrink - This is for the braided sleeve break outs and ends.
    Clear heat shrink - Slide over the label and end black head shrink to protect the label
    Kapton tape - If you shrink down glued heat shrink it turns the heat shrunk section in to a solid ball almost like a composite. The kapton tape lightly wrapped around the wire to protect it from the heat shrink glue will allow flexibility without radius stretching cables.

For basic looms I use braided sleeve with heat shrink at the break outs and terminations. The trick is planning, and pulling additional wires if required which can be used or pulled as draw wires in the future. The loom is pre taped with a longitudinal length of 35-50mm tape for small clumps of wires. This gives a very nice OEM look. Sleeve is added if wear resistance is required (engine bay or foot well etc) but bare tape is fine for under dash stuff.

If you are wrapping an existing loom, split conduit and super 88 tape is fine. The main thing is to use suitable size (just big enough, not 2x the loom size) split conduit so it doesn't look shitty. Plastic P clamps finish of the OEM look through the engine bay.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Glueless loom tape always seems inordinately expensive when i've seen it - I guess you use a band of heatshrink or something to tether the loose end?
    TBH, I can't remember what it cost, I do recall it went further than I expected. I bought 2 rolls & only used 1.

I just used a good quality glued tape for terminations, heat shrink would probably be more pro looking.

Cheers guys. The loom is being broken back to bare wires, never been happy with the layout of it (race kit loom combined with a road loom in an engine swapped bike)

Banned
    I heard raychem is the best shit. The auto sparky that did that hilux drift ute rates it.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Back to wires but still has plugs on end? or back to wires, and replugging?

That will determine if you go sleeve/heat shrink or split conduit over tape.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Replugging at the ecu end, probably going to split the road loom back out (only looks after the lights) but yeah, heat shrink over the whole loom probably isn't a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    I heard raychem is the best shit. The auto sparky that did that hilux drift ute rates it.
    Shhh. Grown-ups are talking.

On the bike? fuck no, keep it servicable, simple. Split loom and leccy tape. Cloth tape in the elements isn't so baller. Great in a car, bike I imagine it'd get wet and shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Just use some high quality wire so you dont need to wrap it. If it needs to be wrapped to stop it being chewed up by your foot or whatever, its not mounted in the correct spot.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Just use some high quality wire so you dont need to wrap it. If it needs to be wrapped to stop it being chewed up by your foot or whatever, its not mounted in the correct spot.
    You mean like tefzel? Oh that's right I'll let the growen ups talk because one of them hasn't heard of tefzel and raychem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    It depends if you are wrapping a preterminanted loom, or creating a new loom from scratch.
    Clear heat shrink - Slide over the label and end black head shrink to protect the label
    Brilliant.

That seems to be the business. Annoying they only do a 12 pack.

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Errr nope. Aviation practice is not suitable here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    You mean like tefzel? Oh that's right I'll let the growen ups talk because one of them hasn't heard of tefzel and raychem.
    Fuck off out of my thread cunt. I've used more Raychem shrinks and Tefzel than you've used house wiring and sticky tape.

I've used the tape in the original post and rate it. Purpose built and doesn't leave much adhesive behind if it needs to be removed for loom mods. Having said that, the last few looms I've done have been OEM style split conduit with taped junctions. Develop a methodology for taping junctions so that each junction looks/functions the same. Split conduit is so easy to work with when building/modding the loom. I keep a large bag of split conduit of all sizes and lengths that have been salvaged over the years as well as a few rolls of the common sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by 36 View Post
    That seems to be the business. Annoying they only do a 12 pack.
    They do 3 and 6 packs too.

Does anyone have any pictures of a braided sleeve loom, particularly the break outs and how they're achieved neatly?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Never seen it done neatly....
    I'm awaiting 10 rolls of ebay China tesa tape to compare to the roll of genuine shit I have here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    It's Nitto tape that's left the shitty fucking mess.
    Nitto do a loom wrapping tape, thinner and a lot less sticky.
    www.DRIVENFX.com Performance Engine Building, Auto Electrical (Wiring Looms, ECU Installs, Diganoses and Repair), Custom Automotive Electronics, Car Preparation, Car Setup, Trackside Services,

PM me for more info

Opens
    3m 33 is sold at bunnings. Same heat rating as 88 but is a thinner tape..

Tim I was in Bunnings today looks like they have switched over to Nitto now.
    www.DRIVENFX.com Performance Engine Building, Auto Electrical (Wiring Looms, ECU Installs, Diganoses and Repair), Custom Automotive Electronics, Car Preparation, Car Setup, Trackside Services,

PM me for more info

If your ever stuck with shitty insulation tape or just doing a temp wrap, try the following.

Loom wires together in straight lengths, flip insulation tape upside down (sticky side up) and start wrapping one finger length from the end terminating. Continue to the other end just short, flip tape correct way (don't cut) and continue to the end then work back to the beginning.

100% is insulated, 1% or less is sticky and loom is nice and bound tightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenno View Post
    Tim I was in Bunnings today looks like they have switched over to Nitto now.
    3M/33 was at stafford along with Nitto.

3M/33 is $12 a roll! and nitto like $3

Why not use just the 3M 1610? $14 for a 10 pack or what ever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk