Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VS Senator (kinda barn find)

awesome car.

Any chance of contacting harrop to ask about that engine stamping ?

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    I don't know much, but the, stroker cranks were made by Harrop and that stamp does look interesting.... they did do those blueprinted engines in those days,fucking expensive if I remember right?

just over 10k option at the time but I never heard of a 185i car having that upgrade.
    CAD Automotive Paint Correction

The blueprint option was only for the stroker engines. Hazy recollection of the stroker engines were built off line while the 5.0 engines were just run down the engine line together, just fitted with the HSV specific camshafts etc. Which was why you could option your regular Commodore with the HSV engine as all the mechanical bits were installed on the production line in Elizabeth, HSV only did the bodykits, exhaust and wheels, maybe also the interior trim I can't rememenber.

Cool car

215ci is 3.5 litres. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
    I don't know much, but the, stroker cranks were made by Harrop and that stamp does look interesting.... they did do those blueprinted engines in those days,fucking expensive if I remember right?
    https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/holden-stroker-crank
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    how about you go buy a kilo of sausages you lazy fuck, and then fucking count them

A mate had one of these back in the day. 6 speed with a blower. Many fond memories of traffic light GP's and painting lines. Be good to fill in some of the blanks on its history. Seems to be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Cool car

215ci is 3.5 litres. Just saying...
    Im no v8 guy but the 185 and 215 is referring to the factory kw output not cubic inches.

Quote Originally Posted by fly510 View Post
    Im no v8 guy but the 185 and 215 is referring to the factory kw output not cubic inches.
    That's the "joke". They are 215i not 215ci.

yes the "c" was a typo on my part team.
    how about you go buy a kilo of sausages you lazy fuck, and then fucking count them

BBBQ. The extra B stands for BYOBB.

Perhaps it was a delivered as a 185 to a dealer and hard to shift? And then upgraded by dealer as part of the original sale? Bit of an extreme dealer upgrade (not exactly fitting Bluetooth or cruise) though!

Found an old wheels article that says;

Pistons giving 8.5:1 compression are installed, along with camshaft, exhaust valves, valve springs and flywheel specific to the 5.7 litre. Rods are standard forgings and the usual length, but are a specific weight to suit.

They also had blue top bigger injectors.

The HRT stamp is possibly the key. Finding out what that is about/who/when. Does seem it has been built later in life to 215 specs and not factory. Not a tough job to upgrade to the factory specs (and pretty easy to do even better)
    Public Service Reminder

Quote Originally Posted by boostin31 View Post
    I once 1/2 filled a powerade bottle with piss at a daft punk concert then launched it. I doubt the person on the receiving end even knew what hit them though.

Was probably built / had shit swapped into it from a crashed one

Pretty awesome surprise if you thought it was a 304

stranger things happen, y old series 1 vtss had a 215i as a tick box option from new. car came with the paperwork to prove.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Up until the demise of the holden V8 you could order some bespoke cars. What would really be interesting is if you can pull up the passenger front carpet and find the build sheets to see what they say.

This car also has a HRT stamp. Same style, same location on the motor it seems.

https://www.australianmusclecarsales...ototype-195470

I really believe this car could have an optimized motor.

Good idea on the build sheet under the front carpet, may answer a couple of questions.

nah no build sheet unfortunately.

Will continue to make a few more enquiries re holden / hsv / canberra leads.

Reached out to a bit of a "commodorenut" who suggested blueprinted at original purchase and then modified later on.

Which would make sense.

From what I remember, the blueprint was only an option on the 215is which also increased the kw. I believe this is the same option on the gtsr where. Then I would assume the engine has been changed at some point.

Detailed opinion from a learned friend.

" HRT002 on the LH pad (mirroring the engine number) is where a friends GTS was stamped with a similar thing when optimised. However, it was machine stamped perfectly in line - your one has been hand stamped.

My theory on this is that HRT002 was on there before the block was decked during the stroker conversion. The engine number has been wiped & re-stamped by hand with the incorrect font. Factory optimisation didn't wipe the engine nmber, so this would have been done by a machine shop - likely when it was stroked. I'd almost put money on it being when the car was in Mackay, as that would suit the MO of a Chiptorque package by mail order, and the era of 1998-2003 or so when it was still common for these packages to be sold in conjunction with a cam or cam & stroker conversion + extractors & the bigger injectors.

The 2002 being on both heads will be a serial number to keep heads & block together as a set when being tanked & machined.

Most engine builders do this (or tie stamped tags on with wire). Paint/texta marks don't survive tanking, nor do paper labels, stickers etc.

This, combined with the number stamping, confirms it was done long after the car was new - several years at least, as you don't need to deck low-km VS blocks, nor skim the heads.

Rods are from the original era of the engine (casting date of Feb 94) so it's had the pistons swapped over (shorter height from pin to top) to suit the stroker crank - a smart way of doing it, so you're only up for pistons & rings, not rods as well.

Heads are also from '94. Don't be alarmed though - the 5L stuff was cast in short batches, and hung around for months & months (even years) as they only did around 7000-10,000 V8s per year.

VU6xxxxx is spot on for a very early vs motor"

There you go.

Yeah. Still cool none the less.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Nice find, Definitely a car that hasn't been through it's true price hike. I want a mates Panther Mica Clubsport, but it is taking a fair bit of arm twisting..

Quote Originally Posted by stumbles View Post
    Detailed opinion from a learned friend.

" HRT002 on the LH pad (mirroring the engine number) is where a friends GTS was stamped with a similar thing when optimised. However, it was machine stamped perfectly in line - your one has been hand stamped.

My theory on this is that HRT002 was on there before the block was decked during the stroker conversion. The engine number has been wiped & re-stamped by hand with the incorrect font. Factory optimisation didn't wipe the engine nmber, so this would have been done by a machine shop - likely when it was stroked. I'd almost put money on it being when the car was in Mackay, as that would suit the MO of a Chiptorque package by mail order, and the era of 1998-2003 or so when it was still common for these packages to be sold in conjunction with a cam or cam & stroker conversion + extractors & the bigger injectors.

The 2002 being on both heads will be a serial number to keep heads & block together as a set when being tanked & machined.

Most engine builders do this (or tie stamped tags on with wire). Paint/texta marks don't survive tanking, nor do paper labels, stickers etc.

This, combined with the number stamping, confirms it was done long after the car was new - several years at least, as you don't need to deck low-km VS blocks, nor skim the heads.

Rods are from the original era of the engine (casting date of Feb 94) so it's had the pistons swapped over (shorter height from pin to top) to suit the stroker crank - a smart way of doing it, so you're only up for pistons & rings, not rods as well.

Heads are also from '94. Don't be alarmed though - the 5L stuff was cast in short batches, and hung around for months & months (even years) as they only did around 7000-10,000 V8s per year.

VU6xxxxx is spot on for a very early vs motor"
    I miss my chats with C/Nut, top bloke and my god does he know his stuff!

/ --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]

Would be interesting to see how it goes on a Dyno...
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Very cool.

Very few things sound cooler than the GM's order with a bit of cubic inches under its belt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    I miss my chats with C/Nut, top bloke and my god does he know his stuff!
    Haha that dude from street commo forums?

I felt when people started calling him the fucking oracle he got a hilarious ego about it

Dunno about ego, I've come across him on a couple of other sites and he simply knows his stuff. About the only time I've seen him ruffle feathers is when he points out Brock's shortcomings to those who still think PB was perfect.

Ive stood in his garage and listened to him talk about fitting good Camira headlight buckets to VL headlights because theyre the same for about 2 hours straight. Man loves a chat.

Yep, I've known him for about 15 years or so, bloke knows his stuff.