Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: 1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

back home yet?

Not yet unfortunately.

Had a bit of a panic over the weekend when the Facebook site of the shop doing it disappeared!

Swung by this afternoon and itís all good, heís just fixing a couple of cars for the next TA2 event and scaling back a bit.

Only the doors to be sprayed and put back together. Hopefully next week.

Havenít really been pressuring anyone because thereíll be a few months wait for mechanical anyway. Will be good to have her home though, itís frustrating being so close!

Getting there man! Must admit there is nothing worse than dropping in to see your painted car, and finding nothing has been done. When I had the roadrunner done (in my shed at home by this random fella) I would come home from work all excited to see what he got done. "ahh mate me missus got mad and I had to go get my dog from her place and she threw my shit out and ive got no money fuck I have another job you know fuck my life is all fucked up maaaan ill get it done tomorrow hey can I have a few days pay in advance mang fuck"

Theyíre often a bit like that. I had s good long talk with Corey yesterday and have to say heís one of the good ones though.

Even if it has taken a while itís largely down to others imposing some arbitrary deadline and then not paying anyway. Plus heís painting six of the cars for the TA2 series and they show up randomly with unexpected damage that needs to be fixed before the next race.

You do get addicted to progress with these projects though, and want a little bit of success each week. Even though itís going to be hard to look at it in the garage for a few months awaiting mechanical I know logically if it had gone straight there I would have run out of budget halfway through interior anyway.

Thanks. Next post hopefully includes garage pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by 68RNR View Post
    Getting there man! Must admit there is nothing worse than dropping in to see your painted car, and finding nothing has been done. When I had the roadrunner done (in my shed at home by this random fella) I would come home from work all excited to see what he got done. "ahh mate me missus got mad and I had to go get my dog from her place and she threw my shit out and ive got no money fuck I have another job you know fuck my life is all fucked up maaaan ill get it done tomorrow hey can I have a few days pay in advance mang fuck"
    Holy shit, 100% accurate LOL

Plenty of text message progress with nothing visual, unfortunately!

Doors and taillight extensions are painted, the doors are back on the car and dash back in apparently. Just needs to fit the door rubbers and put the front guards back on and it'll be home. I'm thinking next week, whether the planets will alight the way will be another question.

Big decision now is whether to actually paint the rear panel silver again:

I'm worried it'll look weird because I've deleted the bootlid chrome strip (mine was shit, they're hard to find and just a point for rust to form anyway). Thoughts?

I reckon keep the silver. That is a big slab of white on the bum that isn't broken up by anything otherwise.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Maybe someone could photoshop it and you could go from there?

Looks mint.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrysler-cm-valiant-28.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	108818
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Flawless.

I'd go with the white, and if you're still not sure wrap it, wouldn't be hard to get a similar vinyl for that area to test out the look until you're happy.

Silver.

Opens
    glue a XXXX bar matt to that panel. YEW!

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Looks mint.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chrysler-cm-valiant-28.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	108818
    Mint! Thanks for saving me doing the same.

Looking at that I think I'm going to go the silver. Not because the white looks that bad, but because the strip above the tail panel won't be there, and it'll just be too much white without it.

XXXX Mat would be perfect!

The other option is the CL Le Baron had this dodgy as hell chrome panel there:

And they pop up on Ebay pretty regularly. So I can always put one of those on for optimum bling if I don't like it.

Might use one of the Charger fuel caps as well.

Spraypainter decided it definitely needed to be silver anyway, so it turns out my decision making was unnecessary. Pictures hopefully soon!

He was right, silver is the way to go! Novas/Impalas etc have the same sort of panel and it always looks better with some contrast! Mine looks a good contrast, even in it's Ipswich racing grey as opposed to a proper silver, doesn't look unfinished or anything.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

If you do go with the charger flip cap make sure you get the full kit. Just a cap won't work.

And I would get it from up north, or just down south rather than really south.

I was planning on waiting until the car was back so I could see if it'll actually even fit!

I imagine you're saying from Hemiperformance, not Pentastar or Elko. Though given Pentastar is gone now you could be saying from Plumkrazy, not Hemi or Elko!

Either way, yes Hemiperformance. Given they seem to be the only ones that actually stock them and have a decent website now.

First choice would be plumkrazy, then HP and that would be it.

All the stuff I have got of HP has been as expected and quick delivery when in stock.

The flip cap should work as the charger used both types depending on spec, just need the extra filler neck bits for the flip cap to work, that should be in the bits from HP.

The silver looks good, but if the moulding hides the interface of the 2 colours and you are not reinstalling the moulding, then leave it white.

That was my worry as well, but the silver normal extends about 10mm above the boot opening to the molding - he's just going to stop it at the boot opening.

Should be fine, if it looks weird I can always track down and restore some molding, though fuck the cost of restoring that type of diecast! Might almost be worth getting a bit of stainless trim made up otherwise, my interior guy does that sort of stuff.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Fake carbon fibre.*

* Don't do this.

There is actually a plan to get a new dash cluster made up, in real carbon fibre. But then laminate it in fake woodgrain, just leaving the edge slightly peeled up.

My interior guy has a good sense of humour. He's currently upholstering the seats for his 60s Ford Econovan in bright blue alligator skin trim.

I do hope that the gentleman's club interior will be getting something equivalent to that as well, maybe a genuine whale penis leather cover for the handbrake????

Just something subtle that no one will ever see, but you will know....

Absolutely, though it seems genuine whale penis is difficult to find.

We are currently debating the logistics of installing a burl walnut minibar in the rear armrest. And loading it with various varieties of Bundy Rum miniatures and a couple of crystal decanters.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Absolutely, though it seems genuine whale penis is difficult to find.

We are currently debating the logistics of installing a burl walnut minibar in the rear armrest. And loading it with various varieties of Bundy Rum miniatures and a couple of crystal decanters.
    As cool as that sounds, fuck that.

I think at this stage it is probably best to accept the facts that a) the whole car is a joke, and b) I don't really have any control over what, when or if something actually happens. But whatever happens it will be for the best.

It'll be as much as a surprise to me as anyone! At this stage I'm just looking forward to installing the hood ornament, cracking a bottle of cheap champagne on the rear bumper and sailing off in a sea of Kenda Klever tyre smoke.

From a quick look, HP do the flip cap and conversion ring for $220.

https://www.hemiperformance.com.au/s...sion-ring.html

The flip cap is the only cap that can be considered.

Thatís the one. Iíll order a new rear Venetian with it.

Shitís getting real!

We're all awaiting the joyous sounds of foghorns off into the distance

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.