Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: 1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

I know, thatís why I always feel bad hurrying these guys along!

At least I know my car will be safe if he ever has a break in.

The funny thing is the first time I restored a shit car I swore Iíd start with a desireable model in better condition next time. And yet here we are...

But can you call overcapitalisation and spending on a scale that would put an Aussie politician at election time to shame restoration???

In my case I treat the charger as a second super fund, plus if you amatise the amount I've spent over the time I've had the charger it doesn't seem so bad......

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PXL265; 01-12-18 at 01:17 AM.

Itís pretty easy to justify the costs if you compare it new car loan.

People who donít even care about cars spend $1k/month over five years on something worth half that all the time!

Would have been 11ty billion times better starting off with a Charger or hardtop I admit.

Awesome!! Been keen to see pics of it in some colour!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    Itís pretty easy to justify the costs if you compare it new car loan.

People who donít even care about cars spend $1k/month over five years on something worth half that all the time!

Would have been 11ty billion times better starting off with a Charger or hardtop I admit.
    And it wouldn't be the awesome build it is if you started with a chugger or hardtop....

Please hurry and put the engine in and get the gentleman club interior finished....

This is looking extremely excellent. Loving the clean white look.

I remember growing up in the 80's there would be white CM sedans with those rims fucking everywhere, but they're all gone now - I can't remember the last time I saw one like that! You see the occasional expensively resto'd Charger but nothing like this.

Possibly I'm just nostalgic because I learned to drive in this old thing (and later wrote it off, shortly before this photo was taken):

Norbie!

A CM wagon with 318 auto would be an awesome cruiser.

I should really stop trawling classified sites whilst I still have my chugger and S14 to finish.....

Please hurry and finish this so I'm not distracted by this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Slightly amusing seeing an XA GT hardtop, XW/Y sedan and a 1st gen Camaro and then a Valiant sedan, and a CM at that!
    At least you know the bloke is half decent.
    So where does a French people mover fit in to the hierarchy?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    A CM wagon with 318 auto would be an awesome cruiser.
    Oddly enough there's an old guy with a brown 265 CL Wagon that lives down the road from me. I miss the old 'chug' sound mine made every time it rolls past. Hope he never sells it because then I'll have two Valiants and be murdered.

Once again this is allegedly coming back next week, though this time I believe him (unlike the other 15 times!). The last of the chrome holes in the rear panel have been filled and it's just painting that and putting the bonnet back on.

Unfortunately the chrome didn't make the christmas closure at Pacific Plating so apparently is coming back late Jan/early Feb. Probably doesn't matter so much because there's not much point putting it on until after the engine is in anyway.

Still have a lot of stuff to put on over the break anyway - can fit up the whole rear panel, guard reinforcements and most importantly the new wheels. Could hypothetically fit up the front Wilwoods as well, but can see myself buggering it might so might leave it for later.

Just hope the bloody thing comes back now!

Oddly enough there's an old guy with a brown 265 CL Wagon that lives down the road from me. I miss the old 'chug' sound mine made every time it rolls past. Hope he never sells it because then I'll have two Valiants and be murdered.

Once again this is allegedly coming back next week, though this time I believe him (unlike the other 15 times!). The last of the chrome holes in the rear panel have been filled and it's just painting that and putting the bonnet back on.

Unfortunately the chrome didn't make the christmas closure at Pacific Plating so apparently is coming back late Jan/early Feb. Probably doesn't matter so much because there's not much point putting it on until after the engine is in anyway.

Still have a lot of stuff to put on over the break anyway - can fit up the whole rear panel, guard reinforcements and most importantly the new wheels. Could hypothetically fit up the front Wilwoods as well, but can see myself buggering it might so might leave it for later.

Just hope the bloody thing comes back now!
    I may have met your no pics once or twice and can confirm you will be murdered if you bought another. Still running with the plan from a few months back?

I was almost murdered the two times I brought this one back.

Plan should still be the same, I will start pestering the relevant people after the new year. Though Tim has a big garage now so I wonít need your shed!

So you are getting the wagon then?????

Good for you.

Opens
    I was almost murdered the two times I brought this one back.

Plan should still be the same, I will start pestering the relevant people after the new year. Though Tim has a big garage now so I wonít need your shed!
    I now have a space to do the work at home, hooray!

Woohoo!

This is apparently coming home tomorrow or Thursday, though I'm being ghosted on my SMSs again so I'm not really sure. Might swing by the shop again and see how often I can politely remind the guy before it's considered stalking.

Still keen to Smartwire it, Tim? Does it actually make sense or am I just looking for another opportunity to overinvest?

That's a nice Christmas present to go with the CL wagon you just purchased

It's brown too. My wife hates brown cars.

Have been promised it's probably this week but 'definitely' before christmas. Standing by for being told it's ready at 1630 on christmas eve when I can't arrange a tow.

At this stage shouldn't you mentally edit "definitely" to "definitely not"?

Fingers crossed though.
    Norbie!

bets on by easter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Here's hoping both turn up in time for Christmas for you....

Well the white one anyways.

But it would be funny to arrange for old mate to leave the wagon in your drive late Christmas eve to be discovered on Christmas morning for the lols

Have been promised it's probably this week but 'definitely' before christmas.
    2018?

Sent from my Z2 Plus using Tapatalk

You're right, he didn't specific which year...

The stupid thing is I'm basically just waiting on the bonnet to be fitted so I don't have to swing by with a borrowed ute later and pick it up.

What's the first thing that's going to happen when it gets to mechanical? The bonnet is going to be removed.

The lack of progress at least provides some amusement for most people who know about it. Once the next stage starts things will hopefully get rolling pretty quickly!

My project had no progress for 8 years before I got rolling properly, so that leaves you plenty of buffer before I consider it excessive.
    Norbie!

Yep. Every time I complain PXL265 drops in and casually mentions he dropped off his Charger for bodywork in 1981 or so and it's still not finished.

The body work on mine was finished about three or four years ago, the paint has been a long time coming.......

And the engine........

The interior is ready to go in, well all but the rear seats, not sure if they have been retrimmed yet or not.

But the brakes and suspension are done, the wheels and tyres have been ready to fit for near 8 years now, at least they are at home tucked in my little workshop under a blanket so the rubber won't crumble when they see the light of day.

Any ways, has yours arrived home yet????

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    The body work on mine was finished about three or four years ago, the paint has been a long time coming.......

And the engine........

The interior is ready to go in, well all but the rear seats, not sure if they have been retrimmed yet or not.

But the brakes and suspension are done, the wheels and tyres have been ready to fit for near 8 years now, at least they are at home tucked in my little workshop under a blanket so the rubber won't crumble when they see the light of day.

Any ways, has yours arrived home yet????
    If you used Nolathane bushes, they'll be fucked and due for replacement by now.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I wonder how many cars get restored so slowly they actually degrade faster than the work being done on them?

Happily I used rubber bushes, so I should be fine. Though I am slightly worried about the tyres that are now a year old, and the engine that has been sitting for almost five years. Hopefully the wrecker stored it properly.

In news that will surprise no-one, still haven't heard anything from the panelbeater. Monday 4pm is my prediction.

I wonder how many cars get restored so slowly they actually degrade faster than the work being done on them?

Happily I used rubber bushes, so I should be fine. Though I am slightly worried about the tyres that are now a year old, and the engine that has been sitting for almost five years. Hopefully the wrecker stored it properly.

In news that will surprise no-one, still haven't heard anything from the panelbeater. Monday 4pm is my prediction.
    Tyres are the one that always gets me - guys who buy a big, expensive set of rubber at the start of a build because they want to build around that combo... and then 5/10 years later when it's done, the rubber they spent thousands on is hard as a rock, and sometimes the sizing is now obsolete....
    Engines tend to be no biggy as long as they're not out in the rain.
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 20-12-18 at 10:02 AM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I'm in the same boat, hang on is it a Chrysler person thing?

I just had a look at my six year old tyres (Cooper Xeon's) and they are surprisingly mint. Finger nail leaves a mark in the tread. I'll use them for rego and get a new set for driving.

I think keeping the side wall is important in older cars with near stock suspension. I've driven a few Restomods with small side walls and thought they drove crap.

Nothing but the finest Korean SUV 245/60r15s for this thing. If it turns out they're a bit hard when I finally get it on the road, they'll mysteriously disappear in a pillar of smoke and be replaced by the slightly less legal 255/60r15 version I wanted to put on it in the first place. At $100/tyre (thanks Rob!) I don't think I'll be too worried.

Agree you need more sidewall, I think it's extra important with torsion bars. No idea how people tolerate an 18 or 20 inch wheel on a Valiant, half the enjoyment of these cars is gently wallowing around corners like an overweight sow.

The bushes in mine are mainly rubber, with only a few Nolathane, but easy enough to swap out if needed.

The Maxxis tyres are now about 7 years old or so, but have been stored out of the light in cool dark conditions under a horse blanket, but seeing as I'm thinking of changing wheel sizes to either 15X8 all round or getting a pair of 15X9's for the rear I will most likely be up for a new set of tyres anyways.

And I only went 15" wheels because the front brake conversion won't fit under 14's, otherwise I would have kept the old wheels I had on my ZG Fairlane for track work, plus the a set of W58 jellybeans that I ended up with somehow for next to no dollars many years ago, that were sold off when I went to the 15" wheels.

Only big baggy tyres for old school cars, I hate the look of a big rim with a rubber band tyre on a chrome bumper car, it just doesn't look right in the way a 285/60/14 Yokohama 352 did on the back of a Falcon or Valiant