Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Irs packages... Thought bubble

Quote Originally Posted by T View Post
    such flattering comments will get you no-where.....

so what do you want to know? I've been working on the tr7 when I have time, as there's less work to get that to painting stage than the ke20/25 or the mini. Will eventually have to bring the corollas home soon as I may have sold the land where the cars are kept.......(not my land, just have come across a guy who wants to buy 6acres of industrial land in our area)

The subframe is in the shed, as is the jig. happy to assist where I can. I basically work on a $0.25 budget on my projects whenever I can, so we should see eye-to-eye on most things.
    Hey man. I'm a total information whore. So I'll take any info or advice or pics or anything you have to offer from the experience so far.

I'm planning on making the jig a bit more permanent than yours (also because I'm totally retarded when it comes to using wood for anything and would manange to fuck the job up if I used wood lol)

But yeah any sort of wisdom or random pics etc would be grand

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fantapants View Post
    Hahaha some Mercedes thing from the "just rolled into the shop" thread.
    I thought that it had to be English until I noticed the lack of oil leaks...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I narrowed my subframe about 100mm - you can narrow it more - maybe 50mm? without making it too difficult for yourself. I'm sure you could narrow it more if you didn't care about engineering, or were going to refabricate parts of the subframe.
    driveshafts - one of my future jobs. I believe d22 navara have the same spline & are shorter, but how much use that is yet to be determined

have s13 workshop manual somewhere too, if that is of any interest?

my idea is to disassemble the s13 floorpan section I have here & graft the s13 rails into the ke25 - until I get the car onto a rotisserie I don't know how feasible that is mind you.

oh - z32 rear brake setup - can be made to bolt on with the correct parts. also has bolt on 5 stud hubs (5 x 114.3)

have to have a look at the pic collection I have - got a fair few s13 based conversion pics (most quite bad, some not too bad)

There is a lot of bad ones. Mostly Shit roll centres. But you can get them in in an afternoon lol.

100 mm sounds right from what I have found online. I want to keep a 1410 face to face measurement. And I have to stay 4x with studs because wheels have to stay (birthday present from the Mrs lol)

I plan on remaking as much of the cradle as necessary to limit the amount of cutting to the car.

This should help with roll centres also as the bulk of the "in the way" stuff should be easily moved.

06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

This was a mates effort in an 86
    He has kept the full width of the cradle. But he has managed pretty good geometry really with his.

06/07/2011

FWIW I don't thing the amount that's chopped off the rails there is a good idea, unless the lost rail depth is made up for on the other side of the rear seat pressing.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Yeah aggree totally. So I'm working much more on modifying the cradle to allow for as little cutting of the rails as possible.

I'll move the front diff mount under also.

06/07/2011

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Shit. I can't remember my toymods logins lol

06/07/2011

So this is progressing, albeit in a typical slow as Shit Dennis fashion.

Picked this up for an absolute steel off someone who had no idea what they had.

Need to wait till i have arms and hubs etc to finalise how much needs to come out of the cradle. But all in all it looks pretty simple to pull up to 150mm out of the cradle.

Along those lines I am considering in terms of making the cradle fit the chassis a bit / lot easier, it may simply be easier to use this cradle to jig from, then make a tube cradle from scratch.

Also along those lines, I have a question about the mounting pins. The sheer size of the standard Nissan bush mounts is huge. And the pins themselves are quite large, much larger than I expected to be honest. The shaft is in the order of 23 mm or something. Does everything need to be this big? If i was remaking the cradle, I was considering using much smaller bushing arrangements a lot lilting the trailing arm arrangement. Do 16mm .... This would allow for a bit more freedom in vertical placement to help with roll centre. Also (and this is entirely dependant on how it sits when I try it the first time lol ) I am considering not using the front pins, instead looking at the viability of picking up the stock chassis lower trailing arm mounts on the corrola body..... These obviously hold in a different plane (horizontal not vertical) so would this mean they weren't strong enough or something engineeringly Shit that means the back of the car would explode into a fireball of fail ?

06/07/2011

IIRC the nissan bushings had HUGE holes in them and much smaller pins last time I pulled one apart-it's been a few years. They centered up on steel sleeves inside the bushings.

Not sure if that was intentional that the inner bushing was seperate or not, I've only robbed S13/S14 cars of diff parts and rear brake assemblies for datto stuff. Most of the ones I've taken apart have been Dorifto Specials.

Yeah I was think of modifying for something like this... Looking around at the various other manufacturers they seem to employ the huge bush (hehehe) simply for better nvh results. It doesn't seem to be a strength thing...

06/07/2011

Hey guys. So just wanted to see if anyone still following this had input regarding the type of material to use in remaking the cradle ?

In a perfect world I'd use chrome Molly tube but I'm unsure of sizing ?

My first thought is 38mm 1.6 thick. Is this too thin ?

Am I biting off more than I can chew lol ? Am I better off cutting and chopping the stock cradle I have???

Also what's people's thoughts on the thickness of the brackets ? 3mm ? And do speed holes add enough regidity to these to negate the lack of rolled edges ? (hope that makes sense lol )
    Also what's people's prefered roller rods with chrome Molly tubing ?

06/07/2011

Also I had a thought. It might not be a good one but I'm having it regardless lol.

If I have the front mounts of the cradle use the stock trailing arm mount on the body of the chassis, and a vertical bush setup like the pic above at the rear, this would allow me a scope of adjustment in the for and aft tilt of the cradle to help with adjusting dynamics .... What sort of range of movement would you consider an appropriate amount ?

So I'd be slipping various spacers in between the cradle top and the chassis at the rear mounts, effectively pivoting the rear of the cradle ...

Say 25mm above and below perfectly horizontal ?

06/07/2011

you need to consider what that would do to the tailshaft uni angle - it is possible to space the front of the diff down, but not up.....(have angle ginder, will travel?)

Yeah I'm still not entirely "up" on how the diff nose has to be angled... I Th ink it's matching but opposite the front tail shaft half ?

06/07/2011

So long time coming but finally Hot a start on this little escapade.

Have narrowed the cradle and done my first test fit on the upside down rolla

Looks like it will perfectly pick up the stock trailing arm mounts at the front. Which is win. And I plan on recycling the same mounts but in a vertical rotation for the rear pins.

In the picks it needs to come forward 70mm and "down" into the car 100mm to locate the wheel centrally at the ride height I want and the flat arms.... Not sure on frame rotation front and rear.... But One step at a time right..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    06/07/2011