Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Performance Street Tyres

For what it's worth, I know the Americans love the RE71r, apparently they are streetable and pretty quiet for a semi.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    Pics of a 245/35/R19 front PSC2.
    Got about 5000km, inc 5-6 sprints/track days on them.
    Pics not loading?

I'm curious to see how the Pilot Sport Cup 2 look after some track days, would appear i've fucked my PS4S, they are a good street tyre, but no track tyre that's for sure...
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 02-06-19 at 05:33 PM.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Pics not loading?

I'm curious to see how the Pilot Sport Cup 2 look after some track days, would appear i've fucked my PS4S, they are a good street tyre, but no track tyre that's for sure...
    Fixed. What's the suspension design and camber limit on the front of the Jag?

Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    Fixed. What's the suspension design and camber limit on the front of the Jag?
    Thanks for the pics. They don't look anywhere near as fucked as the PS4S on my car did after ~1hr of track time.

My problem is finding a semi slick in the sizes I need

255/35R20 and either 285/30R20 or 295/30R20

I can't go to a smaller wheel because of the fucking huge brakes on the car, 18" or 19" is not an option.

Can get the Pilot Sport Cup 2 in the 295/30R20, but not the 255/35R20. I could possibly go the 265/35R20 on the front, which is available, but i'm not 100% sold on the idea...

And i'm looking at $2100 a set for the Cup 2 in these sizes, which is a bit fucken ouch...

Rather than choke up this thread with the camber/alignment shit, i'll post that up in the Street Cars thread.

Cheers

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Hold the fucking phones!

https://www.hoosiertire.com/news/art...9D_Wheels.html

The long anticipated track tire for newer production vehicles arriving from the factory with 20” Diameter wheels has finally arrived. Hoosier Tire’s track proven and race ready DOT approved R7 now is offered in five (5) new tire widths to fit 20” wheels. Air pressures and Camber settings listed in our Tire Care Tips should be applied to these new tires sizes designed with similar construction and tread compounds as other R7 tire sizes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 06-07-19 at 10.40 PM.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	112077

Fucking "DOT approved" LOL, jesus....

I emailed the local Hoosier distributor (Max Dumesny) to see if they can supply them.
    They are on their site for AUD $661 each in 245/35R20 and AUD $704 each in 285/30R20
    http://www.mdmotorsport.com.au/catal...oosier&catid=1

Tech specs and guidelines:

https://trackdaytire.com/wp-content/...re_And_Use.pdf
    https://trackdaytire.com/wp-content/...ifications.pdf

Fuck i'm so excited I nearly wet myself.
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 07-06-19 at 11:00 PM.

lol and I thought Nankang were pushing the DOT approved thing a bit far with the AR-1s!

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    lol and I thought Nankang were pushing the DOT approved thing a bit far with the AR-1s!
    Yeah.... the sidewall is marked both DOT and FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY, pic here https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...5-30-18-s.html

But the treadwear rating is 040, wow...

Yeah, the tyre companies take the DOT approval for America pretty liberally. IIRC the DOT approval was just to make the tyre legal for some race classes over there.

I don't doubt that you would be laughed and then bent over and pineapple dipped in chilli inserted in Australia trying to pull the but it's DOT approved shit with plod here.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Well, that escalated quickly.

Yeah tbh going full retard with slicks is probably not an option, i'd have to buy a trailer, and a Range Rover to tow it, and so on...

A street legal semi is a much more sensible option.

And wow, with a bit more digging I find that Toyo makes the R888R in my sizes, just not for sale in Australia... not shown on the Toyo Australia website, but found on the international site.

And available to order from tirerack...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R888R in twenny.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	112085

How the fuck can I buy these in Australia then?

Does tirerack still ship to aus?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

try the tyre lebs

i got PS4S in a size not available in Australia from lebs, tempe St George etc...

Yeah i was going to try Tempe & St George next week, also Gordon Levin in Penrith who are the Toyo Motorsport dealer.

But... looking at the prices of the R888R and the Cup2 on Tire Rack, they are very similar, for the same sizes.

The set of R888R at USD $1594 is AUD $2275, and then I would still have to import them, which will cost a bomb, probably $3k for a set of tyres in the end.

But a set of the Cup2 on the Bob Jane website in 245 & 285 come in at under $1850...

Are the R888R going to be that much better than Cup2's ?

I can't imagine i'll get my hands on a set of R888R for under $2k...

Cup 2 are a far better tyre in my opinion but will wear very quickly on circuit, especially if your camber/toe settings aren't spot on for track.
    BMW M140i daily. Honda Odyssey family car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (FG Falcon - Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short FG Falcon 43.4 SMP GP FG Falcon 1.48.1 Winton FG Falcon 1.35.4

Yeah I was going to say the cup2 would likely be a better tyre.
    CAD Automotive Paint Correction

Yup, get your alignment sorted if going Cup2. Max the front camber whether or not your MacPherson strut/Double Wishbone (at least symmetrical XKS-GT ?). The sticky compound is on the outside and a poor alignment with the soft sidewall will probably do similar things to how your PS4s end up.

R888R might be more stable for the car. Less tread blocks, less movement, and less heat despite the weight of the car. Most likely the tread depth is much less as well. Cup2 should be a far better dual-purpose tyre.