Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR51 w/GSXR1000 buggy

This thing is awesome

Adding reinforcement to the control arms. Does that mean that forces from a big hit are transferred to the control joints or body frame? If the control arms weren't reinforced they would act like a "fuse" & forces from a big hit would be localised to that quarter.
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everestís summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Hmm is that how it's s'posed to be done, with jigs and cutting guides....

Great stuff, I guess Smudge has a point but equally there has to be a point where you can complete the course despite an off or two without sustaining damage that stops you.

Keep up the great work.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Yeah Roys on to it. I could of made them stronger, but if you go too strong they can pull the mounts out of the chassis or even bend the chassis. In the case of a really bad high speed rollover the suspension arms can also act as a "crumple zone" of sorts if they aren't too overbuilt.

Headed out to Trayning for a 2 day WA superlite meet. All went well apart from a torn CV boot. That CV is now scrap haha.

Heres the line up of home built buggys.

And the whole field.

Made my own CV boot from duct tape and cable ties. It worked ok!

Here's the highlight vid of the event where I bent my arm.

Video from the Dowering rally sprint from the weekend just gone. After breaking down and crashing the last 2 times I took it pretty easy for 5th overall.

agricultural
    This looks like so much fun! Especially as a one man operation (so long as it's someone like you with the skills to fabricate)

Yeah it's a hell of a thing to drive. I hope one day my skill level will rise to the performance level of the vehicle I have somehow managed to build!

How does it compare speed wise to like a turbo rzr?

Quote Originally Posted by bpm View Post
    How does it compare speed wise to like a turbo rzr?
    I've never raced one myself, but the long termers in the buggy club reckon tracks with longer straights favor the home built buggys with big bike motors, due to the top speed advantage.

Fair enough, it does seem to pile on the top end much better lol, looks scary

I must get my arse back into gear and finish off the Edge Pirahna 2 with a CBR 954 RR Fireblade engine that have 95% completed.
    This is it before the shit hit the fan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqwu...ature=youtu.be
    Just been waiting on a few parts to arrive, plus I had a year off dealing with bowel cancer.
    I'm still kicking, so no excuse to finish this project off and send it down the road.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front1.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	110931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front2.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	110932

Looks tidy and sounds great. Is that your cnc plasma on your youtube channel?

Yes.
    Just another one of my "projects" that I have built.
    The plasma used to sit where the Pirahna is now.
    I extended my shed to accommodate the plasma and now it's almost single car garage size.
    No money, so no big shed for me so I don't go swinging cats.
    I have a lot of crap in that tiny shed. 9" Hercus lathe, medium size knee mill. bandsaw, press, Mig, Tig, and so on.
    Once I move the Pirahna on next on my list is going to be a Fiber Laser engraving machine, I've had a CO2 Laser so the Fiber is the obvious next step.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Missed this somehow. What an epic machine.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Nice buggy. Good job on the construction and mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy View Post
    I think (and I'm no expert) that driving style is the key. When you are on the throttle the front end lifts, maybe that could be tuned out, dunno, but not much steering takes place when you are on the throttle, unless its coming from the back end stepping out. When you jump on the brakes it steers heaps, unless I lock em up, then it just plows straight.

I think I just need practice and to match my style to suit it.

My best time yesterday was 8m 36s (iirc). The bloke that beat me was going 8m 10sec. Thats a pretty big difference and I think its all down to driving skill.
    The designer has built a lot of dive into the front end. I cannot fathom why. You may have heard of anti-dive, your buggy has the opposite. In the image below see how the front wishbone pivots are angled up towards the front? When you decelerate, weight transfer causes the front suspension to compress, which causes more weight transfer, which cause more... The opposite will happen when you accelerate, the front end will rise. The rear end will squat a bit, but from what I can see in the photos there is no where near as much squat in the rear as there is dive in the front. Most of your front end lifting under acceleration will be coming from the front suspension geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy View Post
    I like the Monster Energy Drink sponsorship

There is not a lot you can do to dial it out without moving the front suspension pivots. On circuit cars you can reduce weight transfer by droop limiting, but not recommended for off road vehicles because it reduces suspension travel. Lowering the centre of gravity is a good idea, I see you tried lowering the ride height (more on this in a minute). Try to get the driver's seat lower if possible. If you had re-valveable shocks you could increase the low speed bump in the front, but its hard to get it right without a shock dyno.

In air shocks, the air/nitrogen is the spring and the spring rate is set by the pressure. All shocks get hot, the faster you drive and the bigger the bumps, the hotter they get. With an air shock this increase in temperature will increase the nitrogen pressure and therefore the spring rate. After driving the buggy at high speed for a while you will have stiffer springs, to the point the ride height may increase significantly. Air shocks are an emulsion shock, which means the oil and gas are in the same chamber with nothing separating them. At high speeds oil foaming is common - the valve stack is designed to work with liquid oil, not air/oil foam, so damping performance will deteriorate. Air shocks have many benefits, they are cheap, light, it is easy to change the spring rate (until the shock gets hot) and they are reliable. They are good for rock crawlers but they are not a performance shock for high speed buggies.

If you are happy driving your buggy as it is and just want to get out there and have fun, then carry on .