Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged UZZ31 - Because being responsible is boring

So I'm back in the country and back onto this thing. Routed the engine loom back into the footwell on the weekend. Only took 3 hours....

Got a few connections on the chassis side to make, and then a stack of brackets, hoses and accessories, and it should be about ready to fire up
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Getting close now! Only the finest chelphi connectors used to re-connect the loom where it needed to be cut in the engine bay to get the engine out:

Supercharger and other ancilliaries now in:

All that's left now is to do up the torque converter bolts, connect trans cooler lines, fit radiator/thermos. Hook up a bunch of vacuum lines and intercooler pipes, and then whatever other small random things I've missed
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Word on the streets is that this is back on the streets lol

There was an incident.

You let the magic smoke out. Rookie mistake.
    Norbie!

Real shame, Vito put a heap of time into fixing the loom (engine) and then this happens

Put a whole heap of time into it last Tuesday night, got it started and running. Had some dicky wiring going to the fuel pump relay, Vito sorted that and had a fiddle with the tune. He managed to drive it home on Saturday, then I believe there was a brief 'carbeque'.

Yeah so it was on the streets and then it wasnt.

Trans cooler lines were kinked and shitty so dneg brazed some AN fittings onto the gearbox and we used braided hose instead

Discovered the flex plate was hitting the starter motor, so we pulled the box off and discovered we had misplaced the spacer plate that goes on the crank. Fitted that and then it was all sweet

Hooked everything else up, discovered I had mucked up the ECU output to the fuel pump relay, fixed that in a few minutes and then it fired up straight away

Got some new torque converter bolts and slapped them in

Bled everything, tightened a bunch of loose hose clamps causing coolant leaks etc, and then went to drive it home. I have fucked up something with the transmission ecu also because the car wasnt changing gears in D, so had to use the selector to get first and second etc to drive it home. Should be easy enough to resolve. Got it home, and went to wash all the dicks that had been drawn by everyone on the layer of dust that had settled over the car, and quickly noticed some smoke emanating under the bonnet....

Realised i had an electrical fire on my hands so rushed to the back of the car and disconnected the battery before putting the fire out

Looks like the supercharger oil line has shorted out on the fuse box. It must have been sitting in a slightly different orientation or something before, and now it was too close. Guessing the water from washing the car was enough to bridge the gap and make the fusebox short out or something along those lines.

Pushed the car out of the driveway and onto the street, where it will sit until I sort it out. If I am lucky I will only have to replace the entire fusebox.... fucksake.

So fucking over this car. Once I get it running I will be selling it immediately. It seems the thread title was very apt, as this car has not been a financially responsible endeavour at all. Nor has it been great for my state of mind. Fucking close to rage quitting and selling everything except the AW11. Anyone wanna do a package deal on a KP61 starlet, AE71 corolla, and UZZ30 soarer? :P

Thats not cool at all.

I wonder if the braid rubbed through the fuse box from movement/vibration rather than water shorting it.

yeah that's also a possibility. shit idea to route the hose there. i'll have to be remaking the hose now anyway so ill design it to run a better way

Yeh looking at photos on page #1, I think the last owner had routed the hose the other way (hence why it was dangling down well below the sway bar). So I guess when we re-routed it, we fixed one problem and created another :<

you look to be right. fek

Started pulling it apart today. Seems the big red wire is the culprit, which was the battery feed to the thermofan relay. It looks like the wiring damage does not extend beyond the fusebox. Fingers crossed if so, then it should be a relatively simple fix

Also it seems the fire was bad enough that it burned through the supercharger oil return line. I am very lucky the fire didnt get any worse than it did

So I've done a fair bit since the last update. Oil line out:

Fuse box disassembled - she was fuuuuucked:

Previous dodgy owner sealed one side of the fuse box in sikaflex. Not entirely sure why, but on the plus side it did protect the wires on that side at least:

Chopped the old fuse box out and started mapping out the new fusebox:

Bought a Milwaukee 12v battery powered soldering iron which was super super useful since I had to do this job on the street:

Eleventy billion wires later, and the new fuse box is in and working

Car runs and drives again, the fire melted the massive 150A alternator fuse and the new fusebox didnt have this unfortunately, so I'll need to raid some cars at pick n payless on the weekend for this bit, but apart from that it seems that I have pretty much finished this saga at long last
    Last edited by trdee; 06-12-18 at 01:52 PM.

Finished at last....

For now

Had a water leak. Turns out the thermostat housing had cried enough. Luckily I had a good condition spare off the replacement engine

Washed the car again, no fires this time. Parked up next to harreh's soarer here, you can see the slight differences in colour between mine (custom colour) and his (original colour)

Also starting on getting the tune right on this thing. Fuck the vipec software is dated as. So unintuitive/clunky to navigate. And WTF is with the auto tuning, you cant just set it to tune and go drive, the bloody ecu needs to be plugged in for it to tune!!?! Terrible

don't bother with the auto tuning. Logging and mixture map works better in my experience. With mixture map you just need to define the filters to ensure you're not getting data in the mix which will mess with your data like throttle-off overrun etc. Also it pays to get used to the keyboard shortcuts as the VTS software is designed for tuning with keyboard shortcuts. Have to keep in mind that software hasn't been updated for 4.5 years since the i-series came out and V series still does a good job for something 10 years old
    VTS_Shortcuts_v4.5.2[1].pdf
    Last edited by jasonp1977; 14-12-18 at 06:28 AM.

Pics of skids not loading.
    Norbie!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonp1977 View Post
    don't bother with the auto tuning. Logging and mixture map works better in my experience. With mixture map you just need to define the filters to ensure you're not getting data in the mix which will mess with your data like throttle-off overrun etc. Also it pays to get used to the keyboard shortcuts as the VTS software is designed for tuning with keyboard shortcuts. Have to keep in mind that software hasn't been updated for 4.5 years since the i-series came out and V series still does a good job for something 10 years old
    VTS_Shortcuts_v4.5.2[1].pdf
    cheers, better start reading up on this mixture map business then!

gotta tune it before skids happen norbie, i dont want another headgasket cooked from running lean haha

I saved the following away from some posts back in 2010:

Mixture Table Use
    1. Go to Logging -> Setup PC Logging -> Analog inputs.
    2. Add your wideband input to the list of logged parameters.
    3. Remove any other wideband that is selected to be logged.
    4. Click Ok.
    5. Press F8 to start the PC logger.
    6. Run the engine though the cells in the fuel table you want to tune.
    7. Press F8 to stop the PC logger.
    8. Open the mixture table page.
    9. Right click on the mixture map and select Properties.
    10. Set the RPM source as Engine Speed.
    11. Set the source as MAP or MGP
    12. Set the Wideband source as the Volt input of your wideband signal
    13. Do not bother with the filters for now, and click Ok.
    14. Right click on the Mixture map and select Update Mixture map.

The mixture table will now have coloured cells with the following information

ACT = Actual recorded air fuel ratio.
    TRG = Target air fuel ratio
    SMP = Number of samples. How many times the air fuel ratio was recorded for this cell
    ERR = The error amount.

There are ten colours that can be displayed in the cells. These show the error amount.

Red = 4 or more air fuel ratios out
    Green = No error, the tune is correct.
    There are 8 other colours between the red and the green.

15. Double click on each cell to tune the matching fuel table cell.

ďThe mixture table will tune the fuel table based on the data from a data log. You can drive the car on the road or dyno while running the PC or ECU memory loggers. Then open the log in the mixture table, and it will show you how far out the tune is, and how many times the engine passed though each cell. You then double click on all the cells and the fuel table is tuned.

This feature is very good on a dyno as you can run the engine though most of the cells in the fuel table. Then with a few clicks you tune a big area of the fuel table. This is an example of how it can be used. This method comes from Ben at EFI-101. You do two logs to get the fuel table tuned. On the first you set the fuel table values rich, then run the engine though all cells, and correct them with the mixture table. This will get the tune within 10%. Do the same for a second time and the tune is 1% accurate.Ē
    Last edited by jasonp1977; 14-12-18 at 08:45 AM.

ahhh ok. yeah the adaptronic has a very similar feature called "map trace". i find it's easier to use the real time auto tuning function to get the tune mostly there and then use map trace to pick out stubborn cells afterward, but I can make this work too

thanks a lot JP

Also worth checking the help file, the mixture map page is pretty good

Took the car for a fairly sizeable test drive up to Harreh's on the central coast last fridat. The engine seems to overheat at freeway speeds (likely due to no undertray) and also on the way back home the alternator packed it in. It had just enough charge in the battery that the engine cut out as I turned into my street. It coasted to within 50m from my house lol. Pushed it to the side of the road and then tackled the alt swap on the weekend.

Alternator is buried right at the bottom of the engine bay and looks like a right cunt to remove. Surprisingly though, it just takes two bolts on the front of the alt for it to come out, and you can lift it straight up through the engine bay. Not a hard job at all

I had put brand new brushes into the old alternator so something else must have failed. Luckily I kept the one off the spare motor so swapped that one in and hey presto, we had charge again

Been using the logging feature with mixture map mode to trim up the fuel tables, car is getting better to drive. I am waiting on some undertray panels to hopefully cure the freeway overheating issue, and I need some new radiator hoses as these ones dont seal too well, but overall the car does finally seem to be getting close to being finished. Anyone wanna buy it? I am so fucking over it.

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    i wouldnt get your hopes up with an undertray, thats not going to make the difference between overheating/not, especially at speed.

funny that the Alt tucked way down there is actually easier to get out than the PS pump above it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...

Quote Originally Posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    i wouldnt get your hopes up with an undertray, thats not going to make the difference between overheating/not, especially at speed.

funny that the Alt tucked way down there is actually easier to get out than the PS pump above it!
    the faster you go the more important it is! but I have also just bought a new thermostat just in case it is the issue also

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    This thing is cursed!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Yeh they actually do, they help to seal in the front end so the air is forced through the radiator. Makes more difference the faster you go. Dneg's Cressida ran constantly at 110 on the freeway....put an undertray on it and bam back down to 90 (nothing else changed).
    Vito can probably explain it better, pressure differentials and all that shit.

Edit: Yeh so without an undertray your creating a high pressure zone on the engine bay side of the radiator. This high pressure zone will stop air from passing through the radiator, & the faster you go the higher the pressure will be and greater the effect.
    Last edited by foamy; 19-12-18 at 05:43 AM.

Iím assuming weíre talking about the engine undertray and not the one in front of the radiator. Iíve run loads of Soarers without the engine one including a 300rwkw supercharged UZ and I never had any issues with overheating.

Thatís not to say it doesnít make any difference at all but I would think relying solely on it to cure an overheating issue is to ignore a problem somewhere else - radiator or thermostat or an air lock
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 19-12-18 at 05:59 AM.

I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    1UZ+1NZ...

only overheating 1UZ issues I have had was when the water pump impeller parted ways or I lost a manila folder with my wiring diagrams between the ac condenser and the radiator
    Last edited by TRD-MX62; 19-12-18 at 08:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Iím assuming weíre talking about the engine undertray and not the one in front of the radiator. Iíve run loads of Soarers without the engine one including a 300rwkw supercharged UZ and I never had any issues with overheating.

Thatís not to say it doesnít make any difference at all but I would think relying solely on it to cure an overheating issue is to ignore a problem somewhere else - radiator or thermostat or an air lock
    it is missing the undertray in front of the radiator, meaning at speed the air will just want to spill down and under the car rather than through the radiator

ah right, carry on then!

1UZ+1NZ...