Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tale of too many Silvia's

Tale of too many Silvia's

Hi guys

Long-time lurker. Love the variety of cars and discussion on PF and am keen to add to it with my saga of the past 10 years or thereabouts.

I grew up with a love of cars via my Dad. Growing up in country NSW it was Ford and Holden V8's with some Valiant 6's thrown in. I knew nothing of Japanese cars and it would have stayed that way if the drought hadn't hit. Without work on the farm I got kicked off to Melbourne for Uni and towards the end I'd shacked up with this girl who had a black 180SX with a catback exhaust. It was otherwise standard so it was pretty slow but it handled like a champ and made cool noises.

I don't have a photo from way back then but it looked like this. I would drive it at any chance possible.

We went our separate ways unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how I look at it, and I could no longer borrow her 180SX. At the time I was close to graduating and was previously searching for a Mustang or a Camaro for getting through four years of engineering (instead of using my savings to buy property like I should have), however this all changed after driving the 180SX and I eventually found the modern equivalent, a white S15.

Being a demo car for a local shop it had all of 23,000 km and came with a bunch of APexi and Tien parts and a genuine Nismo R-tune kit. I can still remember test-driving it and the feeling of when the car came on boost. It felt like the car was trying to outrun itself

I joined up with the local S15 club MelbS15 and started going on cruises, gymkhana's and track days. The track bug bit which led to more upgrades and the car becoming less and less streetable. I think at this stage I'd installed a Velo seat so I could actually fit in it properly and some Brembo calipers off an Evo 8.

Mount Donna Buang in the wintertime. The snow took us by surprise.

I met a lot of great blokes through the club and the guys are are still my closest friends years on.

At this stage I wanted to go faster on the track. If I've one regret it's at this point I didn't just leave the car as is and enjoy it as a semi-street, weekend track car...

Instead it came off the road and would remain in the garage in various stages of disrepair for the next 2-3 years. During this time and without a Silvia to drive on the road I did the most logical thing and instead of buying a house again, I picked up a red S15.

The red S15 was another ex-demo car for a workshop in QLD and it came with some lovely auto-salon styling. But it also had a fully built, blueprinted SR20 and went hard. After changing the gold wheels and gold mesh and gold anodising on the trims and locks I took it home to show the old man and almost converted him lol.

The red S15 had a full HKS head with solid lifters. After checking the lash realised it was out of spec and rather than giving the job to a workshop I stupidly decided to do it myself. At this stage I was moving up the ladder at work and the red S15 would remain apart for another year of so. Nothing like having two broken cars .

Back then MelbS15 had an annual track day which I desperately wanted to attend. I took 2 weeks off work and spent every minute of it in the garage finishing all the jobs that were half done on the white car. I've lost most of the photos but at this stage it had front tubs for wider wheels, solid bushes and adjustable everything, no interior, a diy fully sik candy red engine bay job (one of my poorer choices :s) and full re-wire which I'd attempted 3 times before paying a mate to do it the night before it was booked for a tune, with the tune being a day before the track day. Just in time delivery.

The tune was booked with Rob at Sabbadin Automotive in Mulgrave on a recommendation from the club. On a very tight schedule Rob fixed the last of the wiring gremlins and got the car running and tuned. This was 5-6 years back and since then Rob has done and still does all the mechanical, tuning and fab work on the cars.

After 3 years I was a pretty happy lad to drive her again. Excuse the head.

I collected the car from Rob and the final touches were made by 4AM the morning before the trackday in my garage at home. I think I grabbed couple hours sleep and then did the 3 hour trip up to Winton.

It was a grouse feeling to make the day but the joy was short lived and I managed 10 laps before smoke started billowing from the car. Because I was up it the smoke didn't come into the cabin and I had no idea the car was on fire until I pulled back into the pits. My mate Dan grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the flames coming off the left side of the engine. In the aftermath we worked out the PCV valve had failed pushing 24 pound of boost into the rocker cover, down the front of the timing cover and out the dipstick throwing hot oil on the turbo beanie .

On the bright side I'd taken 2.5 seconds off my PB

After the effort of getting there and the fire she got pushed in the garage and I didn't lift a spanner on it again. As you can see in the pics she looked much worse for wear after sitting around for 3 years and having go-fast mods done without any consideration for aesthetics. At the time I had also just changed jobs, moved to an apartment in the city to be closer to the job site and had little spare time so I gave it to Rob to work on when he could. The red car went to a mate's place where it also sat unfinished and unloved. I think at this point I leased a VE SS for a while to get about but it wasn't the same, so after a series of good decisions I decided the best thing to do would be to not fix the two broken cars I already had but buy.... another Silvia.

This time a jungle-green S14. This isn't my pic sorry, but the car looked just like it.

Unfortunately I bought the S14 with a lot of undisclosed issues so I fixed what I could and it was soon moved on. But this left me once again without a running Silvia so the hunt was on again. When I bought the white S15 I had started off looking for a 180SX to replace the black one but there were no decent examples for sale at the time. As luck would have it a gunmetal grey Type X popped up for sale in Geelong so we raced down, took it for a drive and struck a deal.

The Type X went straight to Sabbadin to fix the previous owner's work before we took it to Winton. Rob had just finished a round of upgrades to his S15 and wanted to test it out. He's since kept going with his car and holds the the S-chassis record at Winton.

I kept the grey 180SX for a while and had blast hammering it around being a general menace. Destroyed 2nd gear attempting to drift out the back off Dandenong one night and had to replace the 5 speed, had to replace a bent LCA in another ill fated attempt, but she just kept taking it and never skipped a beat. Never forget this young bloke coming up to us, looking at me before looking at the car and saying how great it was forty y/o's are into drifting - I had just turned 29 must be the lack of fuzz on top.

Anyhow, as much as I enjoyed the 180SX I still had a lot of guilt about the two S15s that I hadn't touched for better part of two years. Thankfully Rob and my mate were understanding, but I wasn't happy, especially about the white car being the first real car I'd owned. This ultimately lead me to sell the grey 180SX to a mate and bank the cash for the white S15. I was still living in the city 2 minutes from my job site and didn't need a car, but I dearly missed going on weekend runs up Donna Buang and Black Spur.

As luck would have it the mate who I'd sold the 180SX too asked to buy a bunch of spare parts I had sitting around. This guy is a Honda nut from way back and after lamenting how I missed driving a car hard he offered me the keys to his EG Civic that he'd used for 2 seasons of Nugget Nationals. The EG had a stock 1.5L D15Y4 no vteks, fixed bucket seat, Shockworks coilovers and Enkei rims with Hankook RS3s. It was very slow in a straight line, but in a corner it stuck like shit to carpet.

We made a deal and the spare 180SX parts were swapped for the EG. To the amusement and much ridicule of my mates, I had become a Honda owner. I was a bit embarrassed of how much I liked it.

After swapping the parts and the car's plates the boys were rallied and we made for Donna Buang that same night. Donna was and is still my favourite drive. It's remote and quiet at night, it has some awesome tight, cambered sections until around half-way where it opens up and you can really give it to it. There's also a massive car park just below the summit for activities.

Because the 1.5L is absolutely gutless she spent most of the uphill run at high revs in second gear. Shifting up to third lost all torque so needless to say I was hanging out for the downhill. 3 corners into the downhill..

Still owe my mates JC and Llyod for driving the 1.5hr trip back to Melbourne to pickup a trailer at 2AM only to turn around to go back again to collect the EG. 2 seasons of Nugget Nationals and a hillrun had taken it's tole on the D15 and it had spat a rod. Being a non Vtec engine a replacement motor was sought for little $s and swapped over. I was still living in the city so the engine swap was done on the street outside a mate's house.

The new motor had a few extra ponies and I thoroughly enjoyed keeping up with hipo Silvia's and GTRs on tight downhills. The car was so secure to drive at the limit of the tyres.

One night on the way back from Lake Mountain the civic snap over-steered out of nowhere coming out of a corner. I did a 360 spin and ended up in the spoon drain. There was no damage and I could drive the car home but after that I couldn't trust it. It no longer felt secure. It also didn't have air-conditioning so coming into summer we pulled the good bits off, the coilovers, wheels, seat, etc, and replaced the white civic with a red EG5. The red EG had a D16Y8 with single cam Vteckez and we replaced the bushings throughout. It was a much nicer car to drive.

Whilst I was off playing with Honda's the red S15 had sat idle and we'd done a few jobs here and there on the white S15. I was about 8 years in and both S15s were still not running. I felt like I'd ruined two perfectly good cars and had spent a lot without much to show for it. I was also frustrated with the direction management were pushing my project at work and had a few personal issues at the time. One day I decided everything had to go and rage/Emo quit. I gave the red S15 and all my tools to the mate who'd been storing it and sold the white S15 much to Rob's protest. The civic was also sold.

This was about 2 years ago. In hindsight I wish I'd kept the white S15. But it lead me to ultimately change jobs, invest some money finally and start a relationship. Everything happens for a reason and life is better for it.

2 years on and my illness wasn't cured however lol.

I found a neat Type X in Brisbane which satisfied the itch, but deep down I wanted another S15 to replace the white one.

I looked at just about every S15 for sale in Melbourne but nothing was right. They were either drift missles, had repair damage or were half complete track cars (the irony). Then my mate Luke decided it was time to sell his. Luke had had his for ages and Rob Sabbadin had done all the work on it. And it was red . Just before Christmas I went for a test-drive with Luke and was lucky enough to buy a very well looked after S15. Took naccas for a spin and he rates it. Nopics thinks it's too ricey lol.

Even found an old pic of the white S15 parked next to it years ago.

There are a few jobs to do which Luke was upfront about. The 5-speed gearbox that's in there was one we pulled out of an S14 about 5 years ago and whilst it drives the syncros are cooked. One of the JDM coilovers is knocking at the front and the diff is loose.

The car's making 260kw at the wheels and we've plans for more so Rob's already ordered a RB25 Skyline gearbox for it to go with a Nismo 1.5way LSD. We're dicing up between MCA or Shockworks coilovers before getting into the engine for more power. I prefer a plainer look and will be removing the carbon fibre dress-up bits and canards, paint the wing mirrors to match the red and spray the TE37's silver or get some Advan GT or LMGT4 wheels for her.

All in all am stoked with the car. Have spent the last 5 weeks travelling through the States with the missus and am looking forward to putting her through the hills when we get back.

I also have this boat and will start a thread in the race-car section. One mistake I want to learn from is to not compromise between a street and track car and whilst I'd like to have a Silvia track car the R33 is more affordable, it has a stronger drivetrain from factory and parts are easier to find. Can't wait to get back to the track.

Anyways thanks for reading my ramblings. Cheers

Alex
    Last edited by gmr; 17-01-18 at 11:18 AM.

Great story bloke. You have a sickness but in a good way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

Wannabe internet expert
    The best threads have awesome stories to accompany them, this one is no exception. That final S15 is sooo nice. Also interested to see the r33 project.

very romantic story, please don't break this one

solid opening post
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Lots of cars and dog pics - this you Paolo?
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    solid post

welcome bloke

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Lunch spat...thanks

You can never have too many Silvia's.

Great read so far.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

An excellent tale, own the sickness mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with all great story so hope it works out for you from here on out!
    1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe 1500cc Twin SU - 1979 Mazda RX7 12APP - 1994 Mazda Familia GTR - 1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon

Thanks gents cheers.

Will be sure to keep it updated as it goes

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Being a poodle thankfully he doesn't shed, he does shit like a bandit though which could be worse were he Paolo's lol.

Quote Originally Posted by albo View Post
    very romantic story, please don't break this one
    You've deadset permission to shoot me.

Mechanical 'Tard Cliffordcliffs's Avatar
    Fuck me, there’s some good car stories on PF. This is one of them. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Always been partial to a Silvia. Bang for buck vs. driving feel/feedback they’re hard to beat.

The latest rig looks to be a keeper.

I've been thinking about throwing up a "lots of silvias" thread. This has nicer pictures than what I'd offer.

I approve.

Cars. Cars everywhere. An enjoyable read.

Back in the country and back at work for 3 weeks well and truly back to the grind.

Celebrated the last day of our trip by hiring a 65 Mustang and cruising through Hollywood and Beverly Hills.

Old girl was a bit rough around the edges but it made a lovely noise and picked up pretty well when floored. Flatbrim was acquired to stop my head becoming a tomato in the sun.

The want for a 64-67 Mustang is definitely up there.

Came home to the S15 covered in a thick layer of dust. Gave it a clean and have thoroughly enjoyed just driving it.

The red isn't actually the factory AR2 Flame Red, my mate I bought it from had it re-sprayed maybe 3 years ago in Honda Milano Red with a white metallic pearl. The boys call red with unicorn sprog or something lol. I didn't like it initially but it really pops in the sun and is growing on me. Car needs some shiny dish to go with the paint I reckon.

She's due to go back Sabbadin start of March. Rob's stockpiling the adapter kit and bits and bobs needed to swap the RB25 box in, Nismo 1.5 way is bought and Shockworks are due in a couple of weeks. We ended up going with Shockworks over MCAs as I've had them before in the civic and 180SX and loved them, and Rob's had a few issues with the entry level MCAs fitted to other customers cars. BTW if anyone has a 4.11 or 4.3 R200 diff in an abs housing would be great to know (abs has longer nose for the sensor), having some trouble tracking one of these down.

Nopics and I got McFuzzy a mate and at 3 months he already loves boost.

Hanging for March to get the car sorted

You have really cool stories dude. Keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

My favourite part is how you are taking it off the road already

Fucking awesomeo tale of many cars dude. Keen to see where the latest iteration on the silvia goes, love a nicely sorted s15.

Just reminded me I still want an S15 and EG though!

great journey!
    liked the EG sidestep, and awesome doggo's

Miss my old 180sx and the S15 has been on my wish list for quite a while, such a classically good shape and base for mods

Thanks a lot guys cheers am really enjoying having a Silvia again that's on the road lol, even just cruising around to the speed limit is an enjoyable experience.

My favourite part is how you are taking it off the road already
    Nearly lol, she's seen more of the road than your boaty tho cap'n .

Went down to Toyota Car Club Cars n Coffee in Ravenhall last weekend. First time I've taken a car to any sort of meet in a long time.

One of the downsides living on the edge of the city is the car always get covered with exhaust particulate. Wash it and the next day it's got a layer of grey dust. Can't trust the young one yet to not piss and shit literally every 5 minutes so took the old boy who was not impressed with the time they were taking and use of car wash brushes.

Was a decent turn-out. I stupidly wore thongs so couldn't try out the electric go-karts .

There were a couple of nice street drifter Silvias and this Corolla historic rally car which was pretty cool.

All in all was fun getting the car out, but am hanging to fix the gearbox, knocking coilover and shaky diff next month.
    Last edited by gmr; 25-02-18 at 06:06 AM.

Like every Silvia I've owned, the red car has now been sitting at Rob Sabbadin's for yonks lol.

The hold up has been trying to work out which gearbox conversion to use to replace the dead S14 5-speed.

Late last year, we bought a new RB25 gearbox to use with Powertune's adapter plate as it bolted straight in without needing to cut the chassis, however after we bought the box we soon learnt that Powertune no longer manufacture their kit . There are other adapter plates for the RB25, but they require notching of the chassis to fit the shifter as the RB25 box is a lot shorter than a S14 5-speed or S15 6-speed.

Coupled with the HMAS R33 needing a new gearbox the decision was made to use the RB25 box for the car it was made for and investigate other options for the Silvia.

We first looked at a Z32 5-speed conversion using the Alpha & Omega kit. Rob's done a few of these and rates the A&O kit, though the shifter feel threw me as it relies on a W'ish shift pattern to avoid notching the tunnel.

PMC in Finland have developed a kit to fit BMW M20 / M50 / M52 / M54 / S50 / S52 / M57 boxes. We were interested as these boxes can hold monster torque and the guys claimed no cutting nor hammering of the tunnel is required. Keen to follow this and see how they go once a few people have done the swap successfully.

The last two options were T56 and Z33/Z34. A few yankees have done a T56 swap but again a lot of bodywork is required which left us with the CD009.

There a few choices out there for CD009 swap; cut and shut bellhousing, locally made kit (Melbourne), Collins and others adapter plates, and Mazworx's bellhousing/kit. Rob had installed the local kit previously and wasn't a fan, a mate of a mate had has a cut/shut bellhousing done by a guy who was meant to 'the best' but it was off alignment and wrecked his box, and the Collins kits and similar still require a lot of hammering to fit.

The only option we could find that did not require cutting or hammering of the tunnel and kept the standard shifter position was Mazworx's kit. Unlike the adapter plates, Mazworx machine a replacement bellhousing which bolts onto the front of the gearbox. The CD009 bellhousing and input shaft are cut back to suit, a few unnecessary brackets are cut off and the whole things slots in without having to bash the shit out of the car.

http://www.mazworx.com/mazworx-sr-vq...s-chassis.aspx

The nice thing with the Mazworx kit is we could pick and choose which bits we wanted, which is good because the packaged shifter is an ebay special and pretty shit by most reports. THe plan is to use either a GKTech or Serial009 shifter and get the tailshaft made up locally as this saved nearly $400 on shipping. We're also going to use the S13 slave as Nissan have had a few issues with the internal slave https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

All going to plan it should look something like this.

The downside is Mazworx quoted an 8 week lead-time before shipping, and I'm assuming this is based on minimum order and might blow out which is only a problem if Rob starts charging me rent. Which he probably should

Hopefully we'll have an update in 8 - 11nty weeks time!

You know how you could have just had this car on the road already... just gotten a replacement s14 5 speed box.. the one(most logical) option you didn't consider

Yeah, but where's the fun in that?
    And who in their right mind puts a standard part back in when you can "bolt in" an upgrade?

I just got the serial009 shifter this week. Beautiful piece of gear. The stock mazworx one is junk especially when loaded up on the track. I didn't rate the quality of the gktech one as it was quite flimsy.

You know how you could have just had this car on the road already... just gotten a replacement s14 5 speed box.. the one(most logical) option you didn't consider
    I know after buying a golf r you're concerned about others potentially wasting their money also, but this isn't like that.

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Yeah, but where's the fun in that?
    And who in their right mind puts a standard part back in when you can "bolt in" an upgrade?
    That was the thinking. We did look for a S14 replacement box but they're all shagged by now. I factored $800 for the box, $800 to rebuild it and $500 to put it in and then pull it out down the track when it goes because the power's been upgraded. It made more sense to put the $2k towards doing the job once.

Quote Originally Posted by the big fist View Post
    I just got the serial009 shifter this week. Beautiful piece of gear. The stock mazworx one is junk especially when loaded up on the track. I didn't rate the quality of the gktech one as it was quite flimsy.
    Thanks for letting me know mate, you've sold me will order the serial009 unit cheers

Quote Originally Posted by the big fist View Post
    mate did you have any issues getting in contact with serial009?
    sent them an email and fb msg at the start of the week and haven't heard back. cheers

Yeah it took about a week to get a reply. Then about 3 weeks to pack and send the shifter.