Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I decided to drive around Australia so I bought a car on Gumtree for $500

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    That looks sweet. Well done!
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Love this... What's the total cost so far??
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    Love this... What's the total cost so far??
    Iím hopeless at counting this stuff but a rough estimate would be around $10k.
    Car $550, tray and canopy $4200, exhaust $700, tyres $1200, Raptor and other respray related stuff $2000, bullbar $700, rear springs $150, shocks $100, AC compressor $100, sundry items/hardware/going to super cheap 20 times $2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's probably the best looking Isuzu Faster I've seen

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Got this thing regoed on Monday. Done a couple hundred Kayís so far without issue. Got the AC gassed up which is works great. Got some ply cut and started framing up the partitions and shelves inside the canopy.

Looks the goods mate.

I fixed an oil leak, bolted some ply into the canopy and put an awning on.

I decided to drive around Australia so I bought a car on Gumtree for $500

Dual battery setup done using a battery isolator I picked up off a mate for a 6 pack. Built some shelves and benches. Wired up the fridge and lights. Really happy with the layout. One day Iíll fit a drop down fridge slide but not in the budget this time. The table is held in with a strap keeping the six plastic tubs in position. Once everything is packed away the bench top becomes a place to sit the fold up chairs.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 18-04-19 at 02:57 PM.

First decent road trip in this nugget started in Brisbane yesterday and finished in Tamworth without incident. Towed a caravan down and met fellow PF member Aaron Hogan who came up from Melbourne to collect. Made it up Cunninghamís Gap amongst many other long hills. Didnít blow up either turbo or motor. No egt gauge but bare feet on the floor tells me the exhaust was pretty hot. Checked oil and coolant levels this morning and all good. Heading back up to Armidale today then checking out some parks out the back of Coffs next couple of days.

Nice one, I just got back from a few days around Coffs. Way more forests and tracks to explore than SEQ.

Not sure what your itinerary is with the lap, but if you're down south in winter, you'll hate that butane cooker. I've got an identical one, and it was useless once temps got down to single digits. I ended up having 4 cans on the go to swap around as they got too cold to produce a decent flame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Nice one, I just got back from a few days around Coffs. Way more forests and tracks to explore than SEQ.

Not sure what your itinerary is with the lap, but if you're down south in winter, you'll hate that butane cooker. I've got an identical one, and it was useless once temps got down to single digits. I ended up having 4 cans on the go to swap around as they got too cold to produce a decent flame.
    Thanks for the advice. Itíll hopefully never see too many days below zero and will probably get used in the middle of the day when we canít be bothered opening the camper up.

So...after dropping off Mr Hoganís caravan in Tamworth the family and I drove back up to Armidale, up Waterfall Way to Ebor then up to Grafton. We camped at Mann River for a couple of nights checking out the Nymboida River. A few mates from Brisbane met us there for some company. Today we drove back up to Glen Innes through the Gibraltar Range and back to Brisbane through Stanthorpe and Warwick. Only one issue with the car my alternator adjustment bracket cracked. We bodged it up and made it home. Total of around 1500km. Used about 14L/100km towing the big caravan and 11.3 without. Rear springs have really settled so will probably throw some extended shackles in before the trip. Everything else worked fantastically. Stoked to be getting some use out of it after all the work...five weeks to go till WA.

So last week I got a heap more stuff done. Gas bottle mount, heater hoses, extended shackles, fixing the alternator. The list of things to do was getting down to one or two things. The ute hadnít missed a beat driving 3000km in six weeks. Little did I know that disaster was imminent. Took the family for a Sunday drive out the back of Maleny to Bouloomba Creek. Driving through a couple of small creeks no more than half a meter deep a rock got picked up and flicked into the fan. I noticed the temp dropping away but didnít think much of it as we were driving home and it was getting chilly outside. The poor little engine ran for over 40 minutes with almost no coolant. It expired climbing the range heading up to Maleny. Itíll be a head and gasket at a minimum but could even have scored a bore. Itís down on comp in two holes at least. So a $650 tow truck ride and itís dead in my driveway. We were meant to leave in 2.5 weeks. We are now going to take my mates RA Rodeo. Iím burnt out on this thing. Itís been a fun build over the last 13 months but I donít have it in me right now to go stripping engines. When we get back from the west Iíll do it properly using the spare engine I have. Iím pretty devastated but hey, thatís cars. At least it wasnít anything I did that made it let go...just a ridiculously random event.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 07-05-19 at 03:59 PM.

Pollitically incorrect
    That fucking sucks balls.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Thats totally fucking fucked!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Damn, that sucks

Itíll be back guys and one day itíll make it across the nation...watch this space!

Iím gutted for you. No chance of one last push to swap the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by StanM3 View Post
    Iím gutted for you. No chance of one last push to swap the engine?
    I did give this consideration. I have another secondhand long motor but the previous owner reckons the oil pressure used to get a bit low at idle. He fixed this with thicker oil. At a minimum it would need a heap of gaskets changed to put in the car. Then Iíd need a new radiator. That would take me to late next week at least to get sorted. Then thereís still the oil pressure issue which doesnít sit too well with me. Iíve hired a camper trailer for the trip which I put a deposit on a year ago. Donít want to fuck around the hirer. Then thereís my mate who has a months annual leave starting in two weeks. I donít want to stuff him around by leaving late or having an unreliable vehicle. Then thereís the mate from Vic whoís meeting us in Adelaide to drive the Nullabor two days after we leave Brisbane. Then thereís the other mate in WA whoís meeting us in Geraldton four days later. We really have no option but to start packing stuff to depart on time. If I had two months till departure Iíd fix it but Iím exhausted. Iíve been doing big hours at work saving up cash for the trip this whole time too. This car deserves a good solid engine so later in the year Iíll get stuck in and build a good one. Iím lucky Iíve got another one here. Cheers guys for the interest in the project!

Man, what shit fucking luck.

That sucks dude!

You know, supposedly the 4JJ1 swap is relatively easy in Jackaroos with the 4JG2/4JX1 - given the Isuzu Mu had both 4JB1 and 4JG2 and is pretty much a short wheelbase Rodeo, i cant imagine itd be too different to do it the Rodeo. That, or maybe even a 4JH1.

Sucks to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Silver lining! We jumped in my mates car last Sunday and got the road. Now sitting in Geraldton Caravan Park having a beer after arriving yesterday. Crazy week on the road covering 4600km. Doesnít sound like much but when the days are short, thereís strong headwinds and youíre carrying a boat, surfboards, fishing/diving gear and towing a camper itís a bloody long drive. The RA Rodeo was using 19 litres per 100km at times. We had some awesome camps and delicious meals cooked over the fire. Now that we are here the fun begins. Off to Kalbarri tomorrow for a couple of nights then Gnaraloo north of Carnarvon. Hereís a few pics from our trip over. If youíre ever doing a trip like this get the WikiCamps app. Invaluable for this kind of travelling. Iíll keep the pics coming in this thread. I know thereís a few of you guys keen to see where we go and what we get up to.

Last edited by MartyRX2; 02-06-19 at 06:50 PM.

Awesome, shame it wasn't the planned car.

Looks like a great time anyways, enjoy.

Oh, and those steaks, you are not a nice person putting those pictures up. They would cost me better than $60 a piece here in Jakarta....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Pollitically incorrect
    If your fishing up that way, check out Quabba rocks.

Just be fucking careful.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Bloody awesome mate. Dunno how I missed this thread but Iíve just read it and ridden the wave.

Thanks guys. We are in Kalbarri now. Dropped the Zodiac in and despite the 25 knot NE wind we decided to head outside. The dunes and headlands to the south werenít as good at protecting us from the howling offshore wind as we had hoped. Still, the boat ran flawlessly. I gave it a good service before we left with fresh impeller and gearbox oil. Wanted to give it a good run before we head north of Carnarvon just in case we need to fix anything. Once we get to Waroora Station the boat becomes everything, getting us out to fish and surf on a daily basis. My mate jumped over the side and saw a few crays but the current was pretty crazy and they were a bit hard to grab. Visibility wasnít great either. Tomorrow we are heading north to a station with thermal springs which will be nice. We can have fires there too so looking forward to doing a meal on the fire. Thereís a big swell coming later in the week which will coincide with our arrival in Gnaraloo. Itís a hardcore place with super hollow LH reef breaks everywhere. Should have some good shots of remote pumping surf to show you guys soon. Cheers

Last edited by MartyRX2; 04-06-19 at 03:37 PM.

Pollitically incorrect
    nice one!!!

Dr Hoon

Subscribed! (again..)

So we got to Carnarvon but the rain kicked in so we sat it out at the caravan park there. In the end we couldnít get much info regarding the road situation into Red Bluff and Gnaraloo. Once the rain eased we decided it would be easier to just head straight to Warroora Station. The main access road was closed due to rain but a second road was open. After an hour or more of dirt roads we managed to get to the homestead. Ended up spending two weeks at Warroora. Did some exploring around Coral Bay and Ningaloo Station but honestly, Warroora is the best one. Got some great waves and fish. Met up with some friends of a mate of mine who had driven across from Sydney. They had a big crew who we hung out with and everyone got along great. Boat performed well except for a few leaks from fish spines...need to be very careful fishing out of Zodiacs. Anyway, Iím in Exmouth now. Itís pudding rain again and most of the boys have flown home. Wife and kids land at Learmonth RAAF base tomorrow. Exmouth is great. Awesome craft beer place in town with live music and many stunning girls shaking their bits on the dance floor. Not the dusty rows of fishing shacks I remember when last here almost 30 years ago.

The road into Warroora

Not easy dragging a non-offroad camper into soft sand but we got there

Setting up the Zodiac

One arvo this Dolphin Fish got chased into the shallows, some quick acting from fellow campers soon had it on the cleaning table. Best fish Iíve ever seen caught with bare hands!

The fish killer ready to head to sea

Most of the surf is about 1km off shore so the boat makes it easy to get to. We were the only ones out 90% of the time.

Thereís a nice easy left hand reef break here, hard to photograph from the boat but you get the idea. Also a really hollow RH tube a couple of kms south.

Some camp oven cooking

Although the soft plastics worked well on the Spangled Emperor, the real fun was trolling for Mackerel, Cobia and Mack Tuna. Sometimes we got little but other times we did very well. The other guys we were camped with were diving for crays every day so it was a nightly feast of cray, calamari and fish. Good times!

Thereís ten crays in this bucket most caught by a friends 14 year old daughter!

Our home for two weeks, absolute paradise

Nothing like a few Emus at the end of the day