Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Merc 280S

I can't remember if it's this model but i think it's the earlier cars, if you put them on a two post hoist sometimes the engine falls by itself - wonder if it's related to the cracking?

looks pretty sweet under there, I think that is actually the factory underbody protection at least

if you weren't 2 days drive i'd be there like a fat kid on a mars bar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	254CC16D-3D6B-4747-98C6-BB6039C82104.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	104172Awesome day today. Thanks heaps Marco! He gave it a buff and it came up really well. Have also confirmed it needs a booster, front brake hoses and a Caliper rebuild. Washed the last of the dirt out from under it and confirmed no other rust!
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Good stuff!
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    So today I enjoyed all the fun of working on a project car without the downside of paying for things, by giving Jim a hand with this.

First off, itís in really good shape considering itís been off the road for a decade. Body is pretty good, and what rust exists isnít terrible. Chrome, trim etc all there and largely good. Interior is very good. Itís a nice car, and it wonít take much to get it on the road.

Jim wasnít joking about the dirt trapped under this thing though. I think the Upper Murrumbidgee Catchment is going to have a significant silting problem after what we sent down the drain today:

Anyway, while Jim busied himself doing something about the brakes, I set about making it shiny. Personally I think Jim has his priorities wrong - Iíve been to many a show and shine, but never a show and stop - but hey, itís his car. I really enjoy taking cars that havenít had much love lately and getting them looking good, so this was the perfect opportunity.

Itís difficult to see because it was so bright and the car is white, but the results after two rounds of random orbital buffing were better than expected - we have some shine:

Jim meanwhile continued to waste his time on trivialities like ďwhy is that brake stuckĒ and ďwhy is it running roughlyĒ and ďwhatís that noise that wasnít there beforeĒ but Iíll leave it to him to update you all on that.

Anyway, nice car, cool project, and I got to drink Jimís beer. Good times.

Wish I could have made it out to drink Jim's beer but alas I had I play keep family playing nicely together.

Great to see progress on this

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

All good, we were discussing some regular weekend bike rides too.

It developed a miss after I washed the motor down which didnít go away so gave it some spark plugs. Old plugs were a grab bag of second hand units with two from a lawnmower. Once that was done and the booster line plugged it ran smooth as!
    Really impressed with Marcos polish job especially on the roof and boot. Looks like new!

Time to put some coin aside. Once it has plates then I can think about mods.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Lovely car.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Looking good, needs a angle grinder on the springs
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Probably sits at a good height with Jim and Marco on board.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Yes, we are very tall.

Sorry couldn't attend as was at the coast. Let me know if anything electrical requires attention.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

No worries cheers!
    Have been dealing with MB Spares in Fyshwick. Some stuff is eyewateringly expensive and others dirt cheap. Really have to check on everything but so far MB has been really good.

Hah! Just spoke to the previous (70yo) owner.
    HIS parents went to Germany in 1970 on one of those factory buy drive things they used to do. It was his motherís car and she drove it until her 90ís. She hit a kangaroo which is what caused the front damage. Her son used it for the shops and back and lugging stock feed around the farm until the brakes went, so he parked it in the shed in Ď07 and let the rego run out. His great grandparents came out in 1870 and his parents in 1970 from England so the thing bolted to the door used to be an English coat of arms emblem.

So in short the car was more or less a one owner, and stayed in the family since new.

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    I was called tourist delivery.

That came up great!
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

score, great hearing the backstory

fcpeuro.com has a heap of stuff for this, but it's not as cheap as i expected

Guess I should replace the master cylinder too huh! Yes, that is the entire booster filled to the brim with brake fluid!! Thatís a new one to me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F99B5EB8-4489-47DF-A7EA-79CAB916EA14.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	104208

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    I can't remember if it's this model but i think it's the earlier cars, if you put them on a two post hoist sometimes the engine falls by itself
    This is correct. The rubber mounted engine crissmember was never intended to allow to hang with the weight of the motor on top.
    I made plates for mine that bolt in place and hold the mounts together when I lift it.

i guess they mentioned it in the owners manual somewhere?

up for a new brake booster too jim? when that happened to my 114 the brake fluid had eaten everything

Similar with my old rx7 brakes.

Yeah the booster was something I knew I had to do early on. Donít suppose you have one Russ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Crossfire being wrecked https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/girr...08-/1163575624 looks like a manual in the pictures
    Gearbox ordered!
    Comes with the dual mass flywheel and a new clutch apparently! Score.

Brake hoses replaced. I need to rebuild the calipers soon, and rebuild the carbs. Will probably get it mobile then leave it for a while.
    Last edited by Jim; 18-01-18 at 09:30 AM.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Good stuff!
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

I know it's not as awesome as an angry v8, but why not slot the Crossfire/AMG C32 motor into it too? I assume that given they're wrecking a crossfire it's worth $50...
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 18-01-18 at 10:26 AM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Mainly because I have a 4.3 m113 already that only owes me beer money.

Hmm didnt see the beers & spanners meet thing until now. Where have you got this thing stashed anyway? Storage place?
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Ah, didn't realise you had the v8 in hand already!
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Hmm didnt see the beers & spanners meet thing until now. Where have you got this thing stashed anyway? Storage place?
    Iíll do another one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Ah, didn't realise you had the v8 in hand already!
    Yeah have had it for a while now.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Good stuff! Keen to help out on this again. Reckon that interior would clean up beautifully...

that Kleemann supercharger looks cool (with it's patented integrated intercooler) but not 8000 euros worth of cool

keen to see the M113 with an eaton M112 supercharger on it

I'd be inclined to get a single mass flywheel rather than the DMF, unless the one they're sending is pretty much new.