Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Merc 280S

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    DMFís are the devil.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Hmm didnt see the beers & spanners meet thing until now. Where have you got this thing stashed anyway? Storage place?
    . Yep, fyshwick!

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    that Kleemann supercharger looks cool (with it's patented integrated intercooler) but not 8000 euros worth of cool

keen to see the M113 with an eaton M112 supercharger on it
    I was thinking Iíd need two of them on anything bigger than an ecomoo

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    I'd be inclined to get a single mass flywheel rather than the DMF, unless the one they're sending is pretty much new.
    Iíll just nip into Woolies after work and pick one up, shall I?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

the M112 is on the jag 4.0 isn't it? i'm sure it'll be fine on the 4.3

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    that Kleemann supercharger looks cool (with it's patented integrated intercooler) but not 8000 euros worth of cool

keen to see the M113 with an eaton M112 supercharger on it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I was thinking Iíd need two of them on anything bigger than an ecomoo
    Fuck the M-Series, TVS or Twinscrew or GTFO
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Worked fine on the 4.6l Mustangs...
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Fuck the M-Series, TVS or Twinscrew or GTFO

I agree. Got a spare one, moneybags?

Was mainly thinking m90 as they are so cheap and common. In reality Iím better off saving up for an appropriately sized one.
    Last edited by Jim; 19-01-18 at 06:18 AM.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I agree. Got a spare one, moneybags?
    I think Skompa has (had?) one for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Don't be gay. China turbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

Haha
    Turbos are awesome, but supercharger noises!

6/71 farken. The answer to all the 'which supercharger' questions.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    I had a spare M112 and a TVS R1900 a few years back, OEM ones from JLR, they were sold to forum members when I needed some cash, I don't recall any build threads with them being used...

Treeve and Agent86 bought them, maybe ask if they are going to use them or not.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

M112's are dirt cheap on Ebay...they rebuild very similarly to the M90 as they're the same rotor profile, just longer.

Actually the M90 will outperform the M112 when you lean on them hard, due to the case design...but the reality is unless you're shooting for the moon, the M112 is all around better for that displacement in daily driver service. M112 rotors are same diameter and shaft as M90, but about 45mm longer. The longer length and a somewhat compromised intake design mean that at high rotor RPMs, the intake porting doesn't have enough time-area to fully fill the cavity formed by the rotor and the case wall. (Roots blowers are ported like a 2-stroke, it's area of the port multiplied by the time the port is open) The M90, with it's shorter cavity length, can operate to higher RPM's and still not outrun the intake port, and thus it won't lay over at high rotor speeds. Eaton fixed this with the M122's larger rotor diameter and similar rotor length to the M112, but then the TVS series came around and made it all a moot point.

I'd still put an M112 or M122 on the thing myself-they're cheap, reliable as can be, and have a very large aftermarket to play with. In a daily or a hot streeter, they'd be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnke View Post
    M112's are dirt cheap on Ebay...they rebuild very similarly to the M90 as they're the same rotor profile, just longer.

Actually the M90 will outperform the M112 when you lean on them hard, due to the case design...but the reality is unless you're shooting for the moon, the M112 is all around better for that displacement in daily driver service. M112 rotors are same diameter and shaft as M90, but about 45mm longer. The longer length and a somewhat compromised intake design mean that at high rotor RPMs, the intake porting doesn't have enough time-area to fully fill the cavity formed by the rotor and the case wall. (Roots blowers are ported like a 2-stroke, it's area of the port multiplied by the time the port is open) The M90, with it's shorter cavity length, can operate to higher RPM's and still not outrun the intake port, and thus it won't lay over at high rotor speeds. Eaton fixed this with the M122's larger rotor diameter and similar rotor length to the M112, but then the TVS series came around and made it all a moot point.

I'd still put an M112 or M122 on the thing myself-they're cheap, reliable as can be, and have a very large aftermarket to play with. In a daily or a hot streeter, they'd be just fine.
    They also come in a bunch of inlet configurations so you can make it do what you want it to.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Can I be the boring voice of reason and suggest getting the motor and manwell gearbag in the hole and running just right before further contemplation/collection of such automotive shenanigans?*

*I say this because I'd probably not take this advice, buy a whole bunch of shit, change my mind, delay the build a year or two and needlessly spend twice as much.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Stop it. Youíre a bad man.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Can I be the boring voice of reason and suggest getting the motor and manwell gearbag in the hole and running just right before further contemplation/collection of such automotive shenanigans?*

*I say this because I'd probably not take this advice, buy a whole bunch of shit, change my mind, delay the build a year or two and needlessly spend twice as much.
    Itís al long term planning really. Itíll be a year before I can even buy an ecu let alone fit the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post

Shut up you.
    Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig Red Pig!

cheers gents. Job for the next few weeks is empty the shed out and get some workspace back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D57370A7-5344-48F5-BD0D-83C06C4EA5F5.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	104405

Well, hello there!
    I also got the carbys sorted and it runs beautifully now.

Quick update.
    Currently rebuilding brake calipers. Picked up a E6X for beer money. Iím hoping I can run that on it and swap it out for a new ecu when I win lotto.
    Rust repairs are next on the list.

Lets be honest for fuel and air it is good enough. Interfacing is the only headache. Do you have a computer with onboard serial?

I didnít get a plug or harness with it so I need to source one and splice it into the engine harness.
    If itís good enough to let me do skids for a while then Iím happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    Lets be honest for fuel and air it is good enough. Interfacing is the only headache. Do you have a computer with onboard serial?
    Sorry, re-read this with my brain on lol
    Yeah I do somewhere. It runs xp though.
    I bought a USB to rs serial so Iím hoping that will work.

Old ecus can be tempramental with converters. Old windows should be fine possibly preferable.

If you do a search for posts by bumpstart on ausrotary or rx7 club he describes the software/firmware and best converter to try with the e series.

Are you in the guild of efi tuners facebook group? I can add you.
    Last edited by Slides; 06-02-18 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks for that!
    Iíll have a go. If itís a pain Iíll sell it to someone else lol
    I havenít done tuning other than carby and distributor so itís a good excuse to learn.

As its base it is just simple multiplication.

Not sure what is or isn't on the engine already. If you want to avoid throttle bypass/kicker you can create stable idle with a hole in the timing map. Old ecus are probably better as you have to think about what you are actually doing with injector flow rate/dead time/open time and engine flow etc. I will be attempting to mill various sparkplugs so i can pressure log different stuff. If i can find somewhere cheap to crash i'm happy to come to Canberra if you want to do an article on tuning via combustion pressure logging once you have roughed in fuel.
    Last edited by Slides; 06-02-18 at 08:00 PM.

Sounds like a plan!

Opens
    what are the details on the V8? is is variable cam timing? what sort of triggering? Those are the details that will determine if the e6x will run it.

No variable valve timing.
    Itís a motronic setup so 60-2 trigger and the usual efi array of map sensor, temp sensor and so on. Only pain is the DBW butterfly so Iíll change to cable along the way.
    Other major complication is the twin plug coils which are dumb coils. I think the igniters were in the Bosch ecu so Iíll need to either make an igniter box or run 16 ls1 coils.

Opens
    e6x can do all that. just need a older laptop with a serial port.