Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Cressida MX73 GL-i

Toyota Cressida MX73 GL-i

Recently picked up my next project car from the Central Coast and drove it up to the Gold Coast. The car didn't miss a beat the whole way up.

Body is really straight, being a 1987 model with a little over 300,000kms the paint is as expected for it's age but overall not too bad. A good cut and polish will really bring it up nicely. All electrics inside the car work, it's been really well looked after. According to the seller I am the 3rd owner, they bought it from an older guy that had it since new.

One of the best things about it is that it's 1,360kg tare weight which opens up a lot of options for engine conversions - 4,080cc max capacity for forced induction.

Plans for now are to fix up a couple of small things inside the engine bay like battery clamp and bonnet struts then have safety certificate done so I can transfer the rego over. Unsure which engine to go for, more than likely 2j as it is an easy swap and I still have lots of parts sitting around. I am inclined to manual swap with a TR6060 and Quick Time bellhousing or even a GF5-R I have sitting in the workshop that I bought cheap! One of the first mods will be to have the rear end done with something that will handle a bit of power. I am also super tempted for a 3 rotor swap but think mounting the engine would be a massive mission and well and truly beyond my ability (RZ if you're reading this are you keen? haha). I think it will make such a good sleeper.

I am really happy with the condition. I've been wanting to buy one for some time but each one that came up had massive rust issues and were completely ruined by P platers!

Pretty excited about this one.
    Last edited by [RX3]; 08-02-19 at 09:31 PM.

Wannabe internet expert
    Wow thatís definitely a good clean base to start off with. Iíd say go the three rotor swap. So many of these have ended up with a jz of sorts and something entirely different like a three rotor would 100% be worth the effort IMO. Following.

MX73's are cool, it's getting hard to find them in good condition though. Looks like you scored.

Rotor swap is a good idea if you like making things unnecessarily difficult. Yes it will be different but you'll pay the price. A JZ conversion by comparison is ridiculously easy, it's like they were built to go in that engine bay. IMO easy is good when it comes to engine conversions, but that's just me. Either option will be a good result once it's done.

As for the rear end, the standard F series diff will handle all the abuse a 2JZ can throw at it - ask me how I know. My F-series has outlived 1x clutch, 1x tailshaft, and 4x W58's, and it's still going strong! Chuck in a TrueTrac centre and you'll be laughing, probably want a taller ratio as well - you probably have a 4.11, tallest you can get is 3.58 from RA65 Celica and that seems to work nicely with a 2JZ.
    Norbie!

Yeah that's really neat. No blue or red velour though :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Would fit well in Damos silver Toyo fleet
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Wow. So tidy. I hear the Toyo V12s fit well in these.
    Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Barra
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Opens
    Buy my 500whp Aristo, use driveline and win.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Bolt View Post
    Wow. So tidy. I hear the Toyo V12s fit well in these.
    Oh yes, and op has a few lying around iirc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

I sold all those motors a little while back. Besides the sound I don't think I would bother with one as they seem a bit of a let down. Registration costs would be pretty expensive and so would the exhaust fabrication. I am not overly keen on a Barra swap either, although they aren't much bigger than a 2j they just don't look right in the bay - see MCM Cressida. If I was going to barra swap it would mean a bit more stuffing around with engine mounts - if I am going to do that I would rather use something unique like the 20b motor.

I also have 3 2j motors and 1 20b coming from Japan. I've been buying new irons for the 20b - assuming the motor will be stuffed but perfectly fine for fabrication. As I mentioned, I think it would be a big pain to mount because the standard engine mounts are at the back of the motor so I would have to fab up a new engine cross member to suit and also need to make a sump to suit as compared to a piston engine they are a strange shape because of the Cosmo cross member. 2J would be cool as it's an easy swap and seem to hold their own against the barra.

I am more leaning towards a 20b, they sound good, make heaps of grunt and are pretty rare. I think I would be able to recoup some expenses if I ever sold it. Parts for them are still pretty easy to get and there are a few aftermarket options with billet stuff. They are a little more compact too so it will give me a bit of room in the engine bay for turbo placement. As I mentioned in the first post I can use a 6 speed manual behind it with a quick time bellhousing or use the G-Force transmission I already have - but need to change it to clutch assist.

So clean. Shame it doesn't have the maroon lounge room, but look forward to seeing what you do with it. I had forgotten how much it sucked to clean those factory alloys until I saw your pics.

One of the best things about it is that it's 1,360kg tare weight which opens up a lot of options for engine conversions - 4,080cc max capacity for forced induction.
    You said it yourself.
    4L+turbo+Toyota=UZ

Turbo v8 torque in this car would be magic.
    Save the rotary for a Carolla.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by aerobrick View Post
    I had forgotten how much it sucked to clean those factory alloys until I saw your pics.
    Haha my Century has very similar style alloys, I know that pain. Mostly they just stay dirty though.

Anyway this will certainly be a unique ride with a 20B, I look forward to chopping it with my 2JZ.
    Norbie!

Was looking at 20Bs last night - seems tricky to mount mostly like you said. Sump is annoying but easy enough to work around.

20B arrived during the week. I've pulled out all the solenoid stuff from under the intake manifold and a few other vacuum lines, fuel rail and pollution gear stuff that wont be needed. It sits nicely on the workbench I made too which is handy while I was working on it.

Unfortunately it's an early series block with the weaker fat iron, the dowel size is around 10mm which made them prone to cracking, the later models were around 12mm. It doesn't make any difference if it's being studded or having extra dowels which I will end up doing anyway. I don't know if there are any differences with the eccentric shaft between the different series of motors (A,B,C,D), I assume it will probably snap at some stage like what happened to that Bernie RX7 bloke but I will worry about that stuff later. It wasn't a complete motor so I need to buy an alternator, a/c compressor and a couple of other smaller bits. I was really annoyed about some cosmetic damage to the intake manifold, it looks like the forklift scraped it in a couple of places. I really wanted it to be good condition so I can have it all cleaned with a media blaster but I think the marks will stick out a fair bit. Bugger... 18 year old motor, bound to have a few marks on it I guess.

I am wanting to run a 90mm LS DBW throttle body on it which will get rid of that cast 90 degree bend. SIR20B runs one on his track FD with a 20B and it looks really neat. I would also like to buy a good fuel rail for it. I am still deciding on what transmission to use as they all cost around the same price. Leaning towards automatic for ease of install and it will sound good on a transbrake.

Rego on the car was also transferred over from NSW to QLD so I will begin to pull the stock motor out.
    Last edited by [RX3]; 08-02-19 at 09:33 PM.

Fuck yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Subscribed.

Wannabe internet expert
    Hell yes! This will be so cool

Noice.... Subscribed!!!
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS

Well that was unexpected, looking forward to the results
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Did you find that 20B at the bottom of a lake?

Should look nice in the engine bay after you've spent a month cleaning it up.
    Norbie!

Opens
    Should be a good thing. Hopefully this one gets finished.

Opens
    nice, what trans? hopefully you have a couple more 20b's on order if you want more than 500whp.

Excellence
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
    Did you find that 20B at the bottom of a lake?

Should look nice in the engine bay after you've spent a month cleaning it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    Should be a good thing. Hopefully this one gets finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    nice, what trans? hopefully you have a couple more 20b's on order if you want more than 500whp.
    One thing I've learnt over the years of buying motors from Japan is that you cannot be too picky when it comes to finding something rare like a 20b, if you wait too long it sells within an hour or so of it being listed. This one popped up with a buy it now price so I just bought it. It didn't look too great and the auction description was pretty vague, 90,00kms, unsure if it will run, suit rebuild, junk ect ect but it nearly had everything I needed on it to be a good donor engine for a swap with the intention of it possibly being rebuilt. So aesthetically it may not look too crash hot it's near perfect for what I need it for and I think the intake manifold will clean up nicely with a media blast. Just remember that his engine is from 1990 - 28 years old. Nearly older than me! I have seen others sell in excess of 600,000 yen which is pretty crazy.

I drained the coolant out of it yesterday and it seemed quite clean with no rusty water which was nice and it still turns over. Nearly all of the exhaust studs had half of the threads stripped on the turbo side but they came out easily enough. One got stuck and I had to tig a nut on it to get enough force to turn it out. Ended up breaking 3 nuts in the process and the thread kept getting shorter and shorter so I was relieved when I got a good weld on it and was able to turn it out.

I am so determined to get this thing finished and there is no reason why I can't. The engine bay is big, the car is legal for the conversion, parts are easily enough to come by, it's something different to the usual 1j / 2j conversions and it will be a good sleeper. I think it should retain a bit of value because of the 20b.

Transmission will more than likely be a Turbo 400. A company overseas makes a nice conversion kit with adaptor plate, flexplate and tilton starter motor so it'll all bolt on. I might need to massage the tunnel a little but that will depend on how low I can mount the motor which will be the hardest part of this conversion. I have 3 brand new irons, I still need to buy 3 rotor housings and will probably use a billet thick iron a good e-shaft and have the motor studded so I don't think 500hp with bother the motor too much.

One other thing I noticed with the car yesterday, while I have been working on the motor in the workshop I've had the car outside in the rain over the last week. When I put the car back in yesterday I decided to have a look in the boot at the low points near where the jack lives and in the spare wheel well. There was about 2 fucking inches of standing water in these areas so I pulled the rubber drain plugs from under the car and all the water came rushing out. I mopped up the rest of the water from inside and gave it a good spray of wd40 then went over it again with a rag. I am so glad I checked it out because that would have made a mess if left standing. It's easy to see how these areas rust up.

Dis gon b gud!

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

i also endorse this product &/or service.

Been a long time between drinks for a 3rotor build. Keep it coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you know how the water got in the boot?
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

I can only assume it was a bad boot seal but I will have to have a closer look when I get some more time.

I also managed to track down a few other missing bits like alternator, a/c compressor and engine mount so when I get back from overseas I will be able to get stuck in to it.

Still cannot decide on a damn transmission.

TR6060
    Powerglide
    Th400
    ?

Opens
    Totally hear you.

Wont be popular but I think a glide would be a good choice for something like that. Relativity light car, not a lot of tyre and heaps of torque (for a rotary). I think it would be a good match with a fairly tight converter.