Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Cressida MX73 GL-i

agricultural
    Engine bay looking fantastic, top effort

Awesome, that's looking really nice! If I can get mine looking half as good as that I'll be pretty stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by [RX3] View Post
    Stupidly large vent for air / oil separator torqued down on exhaust cover with a sealing washer - probably pointless using one but anyway, it's there now.
    Details on sealing washer? That's something I haven't looked at on mine yet, and it sounds like a thing I should be doing.
    Norbie!

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Don't those cross vent hoses need to be removed with the r35 coils? I removed mine and welded up the holes.
    Maybe if you used a bracket made by someone else you would have to.

Quote Originally Posted by aerobrick View Post
    Engine bay looking fantastic, top effort
    Thanks, I am pretty happy so far with it, nice and neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie View Post
    Awesome, that's looking really nice! If I can get mine looking half as good as that I'll be pretty stoked.

Details on sealing washer? That's something I haven't looked at on mine yet, and it sounds like a thing I should be doing.
    Thanks. They are called dowty washers, pretty much pointless on the valve covers, but good on power steering hoses.

I started to plumb the oil air separator today. Exhaust valve cover vent going to the can and will have it going in to the turbo intake so it can create a little vacuum. I will knock up a proper drain for it and have the contents (oil / water) going to a plastic reservoir around the front inner guard of the car so it will be easy access to drain rather than lifting the small can up every so often to drain it.

I tidied the egt sensor wiring a little, but unsure how that clamp will go with the heat on the valve cover. Possibly have to look at something different. I will have to get a turbo beanie to stop the fire sleeve from melting as it's a little close. Routed the shifter cable through the tunnel and it's all good. I will have to ding a little more around the trans shifter bracket as it will probably hit the tunnel when the engine is under load - but easy job to do.
    Last edited by [RX3]; 13-01-19 at 12:15 AM.

Looks great Pete!

Are you going to cap the other valve cover outlet or run that somewhere?

My catch can is huge and would love something like you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Looks great Pete!

Are you going to cap the other valve cover outlet or run that somewhere?

My catch can is huge and would love something like you have done.
    Thanks Nick.

I will put the standard one way valve back in and leave it stock - back to the intake manifold. Apparently they work really well so no point removing it really.

I'd throw a catch can between the PCV valve and inlet manifold to keep the manifold clean, on other builds I've built a PCV valve into the catch can itself

considered running an aluminium hard pipe under the intake? then have a short hose in a 90' from the can to pipe to allow for movement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	breather.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	109966
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Line is too big and wont fit. It's -12.

Quote Originally Posted by [RX3] View Post
    Line is too big and wont fit. It's -12.
    always hard to judge space in photos, really looks like a 3/4 tube would of snuck through there...

all looks clean and functional in there anyway nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Thanks, keeping it functional is key. No point having unnecessary stuff in there taking up space.

Still looking for a nice little dash, the microtech 5 pro dash" doesn't look too bad either for the price.

This weeks job, wiring.

Haltech Elite 2500
    CAN Wideband (I noticed they have a new model out now)
    I/O expander
    2 x Thermocouple expansion boxes
    CAN Bus

Also mounted 2 solid state relays for thermo fans on the firewall, beside the wiper motor. I still need to put 2 in the boot for fuel pumps and find somewhere for one other for the trans brake / bump box.

I am actually looking forward to this, some wire routing might look a little strange but hopefully trying to future proof for possible changes later on.

Yikes, wiring. If you like it so much you can come over and wire up my Haltech later!
    Norbie!

Registered User Mc Juicy Hairy Balls's Avatar
    If you need to put a bunch of relays in then you could try looking into another fuse/relay box. Google littelfuse relay box. They re pretty cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wiring in the engine bay mostly done, I just need to run power and ground for thermo fans.

R35 GTR coils fitted nicely, no real big issue but need to remove the x vent hose to remove a couple which might become a pain over time considering how brittle they can become. Coils grounded to cylinder head, near compressor housing where the lift hooks bolt on to.

I didn't know if the pull up resistors had any specific orientation to them for the solid state relays,

I need to get transmission sensors, trans brake, bump box, throttle pedal, fuel level sensor, wide band, boost solenoid and fuel pumps wired in so that's my job for the weekend and all going well I might be able to start it on Sunday.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Solid progress!

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

wow man, didn't even know about this, good work. need to get the older pics in the thread working.

Thanks.

I've been meaning to do that - all done now.

I got it running on a base map.

There are a few little niggling issues that need to be sorted out with the ecu asap. I gave the throttle a couple of little stabs to rev the motor, then had about 12 errors including ecu overheat, dbw reference problems and IAT maxed to 120 degrees - really strange. When I turned it off and back on they went away. I will need to check the earths and the loom to make sure everything is okay.

Engine bay mostly done and I think it came up nicely with the new cover. I really need to address that stupid valve cover vent too and add some heat shielding. Unfortunately the nice turbo beanie I bought from the USA didn't fit as it hit's against the EGT sensors.

Best thing is that the bonnet closes.

Ooft thatís one neat engine bay

Nice progress, must be getting close to time for skids!
    Norbie!

That is neat. Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

That bay looks very organised, me likey!

Looks awesome! Painting the car same colour as the bay eventually?
    CAD Automotive Paint Correction

Thanks guys.

I will leave the outside as is. Think I will move the IAT to the intake pipe just before the throttle body, make a heat shield for the dump pipe to protect the brake master and clean up a few other things.

Man I have loved this build, I have a soft spot in my weird heart for a MX73 and this one has to be one of the raddest.

agricultural
    Are you keeping the 150kg velour interior?

It wouldn't be a Cressida without acres of velour.
    Norbie!

Quote Originally Posted by aerobrick View Post
    Are you keeping the 150kg velour interior?
    Yes, but I think other models have different interior. Mine is pretty plain, but damn comfortable.

Pic from page 1.

I also found some workshops that estimated a diff swap being between 10-20k. They didn't seem too interested in doing it either which sucks so probably factored that into the price.

I think I will put the running gear in an E60 5 series when I get sick of blowing diffs - and buy an M5 rear subframe to go with it. Change the turbo to a G42 and build the motor.

Exhaust mostly done, I need to weld the hangers on a bit better, very hard to do laying on your back trying to tig!

The rear muffler needs supporting so I will do that over the weekend, the stock hanger fouls against the tip when using the stock rubber hanger so I will make another and move it further up. I got lazy and just jacked the rear tyre up and took a rough measurement from the bottom of the tyre to the exhaust, was around 130ish mm, but will no doubt be a bit less given how boaty the car is. I managed to keep it 4" all the way though with a 100 cell cat converter. All purged and tig welded except for the hanger on the cat converter as it was mild steel and was over welding when I got to it. I am thinking of just running a screamer pipe for the gate and I now have to re-route the power steering lines as they are way too close to the exhaust.

Also moved the IAT sensor from the factory spot on the upper intake manifold to the intake pipe, speedflow bung in it's place.

For some reason I got really weird error messages with the smaller 1/8 npt sensor, so hopefully moving it will fix that issue.

Also didn't set the correct base fuel pressure so it was running a bit rich...

That was about 10 minutes worth of idle with light throttle stabs, oxygen sensor was just as bad but now cleaned with some brake cleaner so will re-calibrate it again tomorrow and re-install it. I ended up using some jaycar 30 amp fused relays for the fuel pumps given the heat the SSR's will generate being in the boot with no airflow so I will get that done tomorrow and clean up a few little things.

Getting pretty close to driving it and getting pretty excited.

agricultural
    So close! The mx73 glx-i was the top spec AU release, much the same interior as yours but different things such as stereo volume knob where your clock is. M5 rear end sounds interesting, no fucking around with G series parts hunting.