Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Cressida MX73 GL-i

Very tasty. Are you just going to hoes clamp on to the Bosch DBW?
    '84 Supra 7MGTE
    '86 Supra 2JZGE track
    '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
    '10 C63 AMG

PSN: RyleyMA61

Most people run the flex sensor in the return line due to the line diameter

Looking great so far

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Quote Originally Posted by my limp penis View Post
    Very tasty. Are you just going to hoes clamp on to the Bosch DBW?
    I haven't yet made my mind up yet but thinking between the following,

https://www.gameonmotorsports.com.au...ose-od-97.5-99

Or the expensive option that would look a lot neater,

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/thro...2mm-to-wiggins

+

https://plazmaman.com/product/plazmaclamp-set-3-5-89mm/

Would need an aluminium reducer for that to work...

I just need to be careful if I go with the clamp as there isn't much depth before it will hit the motor assembly within the throttle body.

Fancy expensive clamps! No messing about here.
    Norbie!

I got a few things back from Competition Coatings at Archerfield. They came up great.

Mostly finished the other side now, I need to get a bead rolled on the end of the pipe for the intercooler - same on the other side too - and buy clamps...

I need to finish off the turbo oil drain line and vacuum lines for the boost solenoid then get the radiator in. I Will should have that done tomorrow.
    Last edited by [RX3]; 08-02-19 at 10:12 PM.

Oooooh, looking good! God, I wish I could weld goodly
    I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Buy a TIG, watch lots of youtube videos and start practising

Are you planning to register this thing? Cutting holes in the inner guards will now get your car defected, which is why I'm paying to get mine welded up.
    Norbie!

Still registered.

Going to weld metal ring, like a vband flange around what was cut to strengthen it. That way pipe can still come through the hole and it will look neat.

Getting a defect for that will be the least of my worries.

Oh I'm not saying it's dodgy or anything, just that it's something easy to spot which a copper will almost certainly defect you for if they get a peek under the bonnet. Happened to a mate of mine a while back so it's definitely a thing.

Anyway you've already cut the holes so what's done is done. Just try not to let any coppers look under your bonnet.
    Norbie!

Yeah it's a common defect.

Unfortunately there was no other way of doing the pipe work as I want to retain A/C. I have seen others mount the intercooler upside down and drilling through the front but that didn't work for me.

I was hoping to route through a different area but pipe is too big.

Will have to be mindful of where and when I drive it.

Yeah I haven't decided yet how I'm going to route my cooler piping. It does help that I've abandoned all hope of having working AC, so all that gear is out of the way. Somewhat acceptable for a stripped-out Supra, less so for a cruisy Cressida!
    Norbie!

Cop woukd never pop the bonnet on this

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Dorifto barges FTW
    Should have put the rotor in it.

I've seen others weld a section of tube to the hole in the sheet metal, bead the ends of it and then join cooler pipes to that. Got around the defect issue..

With my vvti 2J MX83 I followed the factory JZX81 cooler pipe route, but had to scallop the tie-rod brackets to get clearance for 2.75" tube and made a custom intercooler to suit
    Last edited by jasonp1977; 27-07-18 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonp1977 View Post
    I've seen others weld a section of tube to the hole in the sheet metal, bead the ends of it and then join cooler pipes to that. Got around the defect issue..

With my vvti 2J MX83 I followed the factory JZX81 cooler pipe route, but had to scallop the tie-rod brackets to get clearance for 2.75" tube and made a custom intercooler to suit
    That's probably a better idea now that you mention it. I have some spare 4" ss tube that I might be able to weld in the circle and have the pipe coming though the middle of it.

I am using 3" cooler pipes so it limited a few options.

And stuff the rotary, would have been a pain mounting it and the coin I made selling it is paying for the things I need to finish this.

Showed mod plate guy my blueprints - he seemed happy with it.

Will use mild steel rather than stainless. Easier to mig weld...

Will re do pipe from intercooler to throttle body to bring the clamp up higher for easier access as it sits a little too low and nearly in the hole I've drilled.
    Last edited by [RX3]; 08-02-19 at 10:15 PM.

Slowly progressing, still waiting on a 10% off ebay sale so I can buy a th400.

I've rotated the engine bay fuse box 90 degrees to give a bit more room and make it a bit neater.

Also put the Haltech fuse / relay box next to it, unsure how this will go in the engine bay with humidity and the box isn't exactly 'environmentally' sealed. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it and try seal it as best as I can so the terminals don't corrode.

Also bought a power steering reservoir from a Commodore and mounted it against the strut tower.

Re did the cooler pipe to the intake so the clamp is a lot higher and away from the hole in the inner guard. I will open that hole up tomorrow and weld some tube in there then the engine bay will just about be ready for some paint.

Last edited by [RX3]; 08-02-19 at 10:17 PM.

10% off eBay till 3/9

Code PHENOM

Edit, max discount only $100. Not so good.
    Last edited by THE CHIEF; 01-09-18 at 07:10 PM.

Max discount, $100...

Box is $4200.

Yeah just realized that, as you can see ive edited my post. Close but no cigar.

I need to fix up the pictures in the thread.

Engine bay painted.

Putting everything back in.

Had to re-do the first half of the charge pipe from the compressor housing outlet to intercooler. First one didn't want to fit - I can only assume torquing everything down shifted a few things here and there. Also bought a pro series Plazmaman cooler so maybe that's slightly different to their cheap generic one.

Anyway, I got to use the horizontal band saw for the first time, seems to work nice, real straight cuts - perfect.

Covers will be off to be powder coated soon.

Next job will be fuel line from the tank to the front, transmission shifter cable then time to wire the ecu.

That's looking ace!
    Norbie!

Very Purdy. Well done. Nice colour choice too.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Thanks for the comments. I am pretty happy with how it's coming along.

I am planning some wiring now, most of the ecu stuff is done, I still need to branch off for some 5V for sensors but mostly all good. I am considering buying another Bosch temp / pressure sensor and sticking it in the oil filter union where the standard oil pressure switch lives but I am unsure if it will flow oil to the sensor for it to get a temperature reading. The wires wrapped in a circle near the ECU connectors are going to the boot (battery, fuel pump SSRs) and others are staying inside the cabin for trans brake, bump box, dash stuff ect. Still need to find a good momentary switch that's good for a few amps for the bump box!

I am also looking at buying a dash to make life a lot easier than stuffing around with the cable driven speedo. I know I can buy a converter box but it's quite bulky and I don't have a great deal of space to put one. I don't mind the Haltech dash but it's a bit ugly looking so I am considering the smaller 5" ECU Masters ADU race dash as it seems to be compatible with the Haltech Elite.

I also need to figure out how I can get a speedo reading from the TH400 as the standard area where the speed sensor usually lives is bunged off so I don't know if there is any gearing on the output shaft of the transmission - I will have to unbolt the tail housing and take a look. I think I can wire an optical sensor via the haltech but need to find someone that makes one to bolt into the trans.

Also caved in and bought the R35 GTR coil stuff.

Spent a solid 5 minutes organising the stuff for a picture

Also finished the fuel line feed from the front to the back. I ended up using some heat shield to stop the braided line from scratching against everything where it hit against the chassis. The tail shaft is being made, powder coating being done to valve covers and a standard Toyota radiator recovery tank from a Hilux is on order too so I am hoping I can fit that part to the fan shroud I made with some 4mm alloy.

Getting to the pointy end of the project.

Time to abandon and move on to something else

I've had good success with the AIM MXS Strada dash's, the only thing that could be improved on them is if they were a bit thinner, they support Haltech CAN.

You'd be able to fit one in place of the speedo and tach in an MX73 cluster and even leave the standard coolant temp and fuel level stuff in place if you want. That's what I did with my last couple of installs in AE82 clusters. I do like the look of their new MXP cluster and will likely upgrade to one in the future
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aim.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	320.6 KB 
ID:	109886

Opens
    Vote 1 AEM CD-5. Mine is excellent.

Little update, picked up the front half of the drive shaft today.

All bolted in perfectly which is good, one less thing to worry about.

Also collected the powder coated engine covers, came up nicely, would have liked a slightly darker colour but overall very happy for the price.

Bolted the stock baffles back in with some blue loctite

Time to install with the new cross vent hoses

But before doing that I bolted in the new R35 coil holders

Covers on,

New bolts,

Finger tight bolts for now,

Stupidly large vent for air / oil separator torqued down on exhaust cover with a sealing washer - probably pointless using one but anyway, it's there now.

How the engine bay is looking now, also put the drive belt on too.

Real happy with it, I will plumb the air / oil separator next which is mounted on the drivers side strut tower, bought the fittings and hose for it. Decided to retain the stock intake PCV so will buy a new one. Will also run the power steering return line through the radiator to help keep it cool.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Don't those cross vent hoses need to be removed with the r35 coils? I removed mine and welded up the holes.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol