Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 49

Thread: Rear mount turbo

  1. #1
    Registered User RNS-11Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,915

    Rear mount turbo

    Sooo how complicated are these set ups and can they actually work well?
    Any done This before?

    Thanks
    H

  2. #2
    Opens
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    TEXAS, QLD
    Posts
    9,636
    Not complicated, they work, reckon Iím keen to do it to my 6L ute.

  3. #3
    BOOSTFARKIN Morcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    705
    Yes I have.

    Hardest part about it is the oil drain it needs a sump for the oil to fall into before its pumped back just like a low mount turbo system.

  4. #4
    Title pending
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    2,924
    Planning this on a build atm... dry sump so tank in back helps with oil feed and drain
    Location Perth Western Australia

  5. #5
    Civic turbo + 100hp gas biscan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,036
    I have been following this guy on Youtube. Goes through his rear mount setup in detail. Good watch.

  6. #6
    Wanker MexicanBatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    2,028
    On what?

    Seems to work well on large capacity engines, like the Jeep SRT Iíve seen it on

    Maybe not so well on a 1L chondasaki
    ..........

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    gawler
    Posts
    2,089
    Rear mount turbo flies in the face of everything one is taught about turbocharging, but, on large capacity vehicles they seem to work perfectly well.

    There is a guy on rennlist 928 forum who, in the midst of a huge twin turbo project, threw together a rear mount and truly questioned why he was bothering with the twins project. It just worked that well....
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

  8. #8
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,985
    Seems to work great on this heap.
    Would help immensely being VNT though

    https://youtu.be/u8jBC1CQ2KQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

  9. #9
    Registered User monk_13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    218
    Was looking into this on a previous car (350Z). Apparently it worked very well on the street & drags, and was great at keeping engine bay temps at a manageable level, but for track work it wasn't great due to a little extra lag/less response. Other than that, it was a bit of a pain setting up a oil return system, as mentioned above. (And running coolant lines if required)
    Emo 6 - Track
    '74 Mazda 808 - Daily/Resto project [SOLD]
    2010 Swift Sport of boredom

  10. #10
    Hungry Hungry Hippo Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    gong
    Posts
    15,162
    Quote Originally Posted by monk_13 View Post
    Was looking into this on a previous car (350Z). Apparently it worked very well on the street & drags, and was great at keeping engine bay temps at a manageable level, but for track work it wasn't great due to a little extra lag/less response. Other than that, it was a bit of a pain setting up a oil return system, as mentioned above. (And running coolant lines if required)
    wonder how much cooling you would need for the coolant, could one get away with a closed system using a radiator a water cooled pc set up
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

  11. #11
    Littering and....?
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,631
    What about using an oil less turbo?
    http://compturbo.com/spotlights/oil-less
    I don't know anyone who has used one though.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    gawler
    Posts
    2,089
    I think there would be no issue with a self contained coolant system for a rear mount turbo, hell you could probably even just let it thermosyphon. At the end of the day how long can you use boost on a large capacity turbocharged road car before your license is in grave danger?

    I reckon one could configure a self contained oiling system also using a tiny electrically driven hydraulic oil pump/system.

    Our man on here "Morcs" is a switched on guy who has the runs on the board with a rear mount turbo.
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

  13. #13
    Registered User JZK25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld.
    Posts
    7,841
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    Seems to work great on this heap.
    Would help immensely being VNT though

    https://youtu.be/u8jBC1CQ2KQ
    Placebo effect. No actual data collected.

    I have a guy keen to do one on a ute but I would want direct comparisons with other setups or it's just more internet fodder.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    gawler
    Posts
    2,089
    Moving along nothing to see here, is the title of Morcs thread, it is a rear mount turbo carby 308 Holden ute...
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

  15. #15
    Registered User RNS-11Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,915
    Soo this is looking like becoming more of a reality sooner then later.

    Looking at turbo options now. The engine is a standard stroke L77, rods and pistons, stock compression. Heads cleaned up by Higgins otherwise, has all other supporting mods. Will be converted to E85 during the process.

    Whatís a turbo people would recommend, looking for 700rwhp? Iím looking at borg Warner turboís due to price and budget limitations.

    H

  16. #16
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,985
    I dont want to sound like too much of a holset fanboi, but a hx50-55 would do that power, are a proven thing in rear mount configuration and are cheap to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

  17. #17
    are hairy Dogsballs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    8,197
    S472
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

  18. #18
    Registered User JZK25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, Qld.
    Posts
    7,841
    Quote Originally Posted by RNS-11Z View Post
    Soo this is looking like becoming more of a reality sooner then later.

    Looking at turbo options now. The engine is a standard stroke L77, rods and pistons, stock compression. Heads cleaned up by Higgins otherwise, has all other supporting mods. Will be converted to E85 during the process.

    Whatís a turbo people would recommend, looking for 700rwhp? Iím looking at borg Warner turboís due to price and budget limitations.

    H
    What sort of car?
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

  19. #19
    Registered User lukevl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    3,963
    This is my mateís long term build. L77 too. Been on the dyno a few times and just trying some things to reduce lag currently. Be worth talking to him if youíre going ahead with a build






    https://imgur.com/a/tvpwJGt
    Last edited by lukevl; 08-01-19 at 07:01 AM.

  20. #20
    Registered User RNS-11Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    What sort of car?
    Mazda rx8

  21. #21
    Registered User clutch-monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    5,163
    what happens if that commodore drives through a puddle? that makes me nervous haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski View Post
    Memes are only detectable by NSA.

  22. #22
    Registered User lukevl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    what happens if that commodore drives through a puddle? that makes me nervous haha
    Water injection is underrated

  23. #23
    Registered User dnegative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,386
    This is also relevant to my interests, thinking of putting a T04z rear-mid-mount on a 1UZ in a tray back ute for 400hp-ish

    What's the go with the VDO oil return pumps? They are rated at 160lph which is way more than your going to feed one through a 1/8 oil feed line to a ball bearing turbo, I'm guessing they are not a positive displacement pump.

    Then there are these guys in the US
    https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm

    They sound like they know what they are doing pump wise
    Last edited by dnegative; 08-01-19 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

  24. #24
    Registered User RNS-11Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,915
    Iíve found a borg Warner sx488, 1.32 rear. Too big? Brand new for $1000

  25. #25
    CNGAF rowdytoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    hotel vast horizon
    Posts
    10,257
    Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    This is my mateís long term build. L77 too. Been on the dyno a few times and just trying some things to reduce lag currently.
    Perhaps mount the turbos and intercooler in the engine bay?? Just a thought.

    1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

  26. #26
    Registered User lukevl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    3,963
    Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Perhaps mount the turbos and intercooler in the engine bay?? Just a thought.
    I suggested that! We have a few areas to try before we do anything silly. It's kind of hard because it's not a setup that's just gone from front to rear mounted. It could have been laggy with them front mounted too due to cam, comp, turbo sizing, etc. The inlet is billet and looks awesome but it does have a bit too much volume leading to the throttle body for my liking.

    It was designed to be different and make people talk. Some people get aggressive and really hate it which is funny (like an LS in an FD I recently found out) but most decent people appreciate the quality of the work and that it is something a bit different. Makes decent power too.

  27. #27
    Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    syd
    Posts
    2,946
    i have nothing to add but wow that VL

  28. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singleton, Aus
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by RNS-11Z View Post
    Iíve found a borg Warner sx488, 1.32 rear. Too big? Brand new for $1000
    where at? Im looking to make my 475 bigger.

  29. #29
    25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,625
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    what happens if that commodore drives through a puddle? that makes me nervous haha
    Looks like it doesn't get driven in the rain, let alone a puddle. Mint.

  30. #30
    This space left blank Ben Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    3,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
    Looks like it doesn't get driven
    Fixed...
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •