Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Land-Yolo Discovery 1

Eurotrash :D
    was gonna say, td5 swap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Find a rolled 4wd something with a 308 conversion as an alternative donor? I know LS is the best answer, but 308 would have to be miles better than the 3.5 shitter, and a fraction of the cost of a 4.6.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    was gonna say, td5 swap?
    May as well buy a D2 with the TD5 in it already though. Im sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment, given we are probably going to sell the house in the near future so undertaking a full engine conversion is probably not the wisest idea. Did entertain the idea of a D2 but too much scary electrical shit goes wrong so fuck that. Would be more cost effective and easier to just get a 300tdi D1 and do the aftermarket head swap and call it done.

Why the fuck are 200tdis so hard to find?

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Find a rolled 4wd something with a 308 conversion as an alternative donor? I know LS is the best answer, but 308 would have to be miles better than the 3.5 shitter, and a fraction of the cost of a 4.6.
    Nah, i have no aversion to the old 30X engines; i actually like them and think theyd be better for a big lump like the Rover than an LS1 would, plus the cunts are almost impossible to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Yep, where ive been looking. But I fear I cannot get it done for any reasonable amount of money all things said. 304i and 4L80E would be the go [aside from LS swap] but yeah, conversion bits are spendy - 2kish plus the cost of engine and then fucking around with cooling at stuff. Wouldnt like my chances of the ZF surviving with any of the 304/308/Chev options. Even a dirty old 350 small block would be way better than the rover!

Need to really confirm whats wrong with it before i start throwing tantrums. Also considered buying a running car and wrecking it for engine

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    was gonna say, td5 swap?
    this would be the wisest idea, fuck off the gas shit and you wont ever have engine problems again.

you only just moved in, you get a good offer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Sadly, not quite. See cribs section for that one.

200tdis have all blown up by now and parts availability isnt as good as 300tdi.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

quite honestly, if your looking at diesel swaps id be looking at others from toyota etc. the lr tdis are frankly shit.

only one that was any good back then was the td6 in the lr322s. and thats bmw's....
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'd be working out if it is fucked first.

Head gaskets are relatively easy to do on them and in my experience apart from the cams wearing out the 3.5 are pretty solid mechanically.

You are better off fixing the one you have if it doesn't have major problems, buying a second hand motor could be a potential grenade waiting to go off.

If you do want to go TDI, buy a complete 300tdi car and swap everything over. Plenty around for under $1k and they are pretty durable. A couple of mates have them with ~500,000kms on them and have given them a fair flogging off road. They just keep throwing cam belts at them.

Anything you transplant in with decent hp will smash diffs and axles unless you are gentle on it.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Push it good
    I would do a basic rebuild of the original engine. And rembember... The only reliable swap with LR is the buy a Toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    I'd be working out if it is fucked first.

Head gaskets are relatively easy to do on them and in my experience apart from the cams wearing out the 3.5 are pretty solid mechanically.

You are better off fixing the one you have if it doesn't have major problems, buying a second hand motor could be a potential grenade waiting to go off.

If you do want to go TDI, buy a complete 300tdi car and swap everything over. Plenty around for under $1k and they are pretty durable. A couple of mates have them with ~500,000kms on them and have given them a fair flogging off road. They just keep throwing cam belts at them.

Anything you transplant in with decent hp will smash diffs and axles unless you are gentle on it.
    The thing that was putting me off about doing the headgaskets was even with them done, this engine isnt the greatest example of a Rover V8 out there. Its a little bit tired - breathes a little bit, bit noisy etc. Its the old not throwing good money after bad, didnt want to throw massive amounts of time and cash fixing shit and its still a clapped out old 3.5 at the end of the day. If it was fucked a 200tdi/300tdi swap is still pretty attractive/the way I would have gone as the fuel economy would mean I can still run it as a daily/give me decent range on long trips. Thing was, as I havent done anything on mine yet suspension wise, diffs etc, i would have been better off cutting it loose and just buying one with the stuff already on it. Id rather spend a few weeks on panel work and paint then a few months with no car while i do engine conversions.

Anyway, plan was always to do a bit of poking and prodding and see exactly what was going on. Had a pretty decent leak from the two hoses that run in the distributor area and was running like a general shitcunt, breaking down under load and carrying on and stalling/not restarting etc. It was the rough running that had me thinking slipped liner or split gasket into cylinder. Ran down to supercheap, grabbed an AU falcon heater hose [90deg bend with straight section into a 180deg loop] and chopped that up to suit to replace both hoses [near perfect fit, got good at adapting other cars hoses when i owned the MU ] Filled it up, started it and....

...no Hiroshima out of the exhaust, and no coolant pumping out of the overflow. Little bit foggy out of the exhaust, and then it stalled and wouldnt restart. Fucks sake, has to be something terminal. Poke around in the engine bay and it fucking dawns on me. Im a fucking idiot - the luckiest idiot in existance, but an idiot none the less.

So this was Monday morning last week

Note gauge is marching on to red and over-temp light has flicked on/car died roughly 15sec later. Everyone tells you the Rover gauges are so innacurate that theyve blown headgaskets before the gauge has even bothered to move from half way, so surely with the over temp light trigger and the thing running like shit its a fore gone conclusion, ive fucked it. Except I literally got saved by the dumbest fucking thing ever. It turns out that when it ran out of coolant and started to get hot, so did the gas convertor - except instead of getting hot with no coolant, gas freezes. The rough running and stalling was the gas freezing, and it froze j-u-s-t in time to stop the thing from getting too hot to melt

Bled coolant out, gave it an oil and filter [was due anyway] and have racked up 200km since friday arvo and its back to its old self. Success.

To celebrate, I got my hands on some PIAA Fogs to try and fix the lighting situation [lights are fucking woeful on these things].

Pulled em to bits to give them the rattle-can resto. Resprayed the rear housings, polished the fuck out of the glass - just need to plastic weld the broken parts out of the light guards and they can go on.

Sold my Celica GT4 so hopefully going to throw some cash at this. On the hunt for an early ARB bull bar - really didnt want one, but a recent close call with skippy means mrs is hassling me to get one - a set of Hella Rallye or IPF driving lights to go with the fogs and some lift springs. Then hopefully come tax time ill be able to throw some new tyres at it.

The old girl lives to fight another day.

Good work. Don't engine swap it. Just find a diesel disco.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

fucken a.

reading what you wrote makes sense. my old el falcoon would freeze the converter when the head gasket went. saved the engine many times.

Felt good to be the pigeon for once instead of the statue!