Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 104

Thread: Land-Yolo Discovery 1

  1. #31
    Gas Turbine enthusiast da9jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Radelaide
    Posts
    5,711
    But he's loving every minute of it!
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

    Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

    75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

  2. #32
    Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    At work :(
    Posts
    18,524
    Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    But he's loving every minute of it!
    Doubling down in fact!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

    "In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

    "You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,398
    My silver D1 auto on gas used to get around 20l/100 on gas and petrol.

    Towing didn't seem to make much difference
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo510 View Post
    My silver D1 auto on gas used to get around 20l/100 on gas and petrol.

    Towing didn't seem to make much difference
    You're right in that it seems to make fuck all difference towing/pussy footing but fucked if i know how you were getting 20L/100! I cant get anywhere near that at the moment. Egg-shelled the fuck out of the throttle this tank, did not go over 3000rpm at all and did not sit in traffic at all [all light urban/constant throttle cruising]. 26.9L/100km The annoying part is its not that its expensive to run - with gas at 71c a litre its costing around $75 to do 400ish km so works out a bit cheaper than filling the SS with 98 [range is about 420-440ish on that]. Its the lack of range thats driving me fucking mental at the moment, this thing is meant to be our getaway/exploring car - bit hard to do that if you cant go further than 200km between stops for fuel

    Going to run through another tank to compare fuel use again before having a bit of a dig through the engine bay and see whats going on. So far im leaning towards an ignition related problem, or a combination of a few ignition related problems [like vac advance, timing and plugs]. I think timing is definitely out as it literally fires from cold on the first quarter rotation of the crank.

    If i could get your economy numbers on gas and similar on PULP id have an effective range of 500km. Right now, effective range is less than 300km!

  5. #35
    Registered User peal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,500
    Drop an LS1 in?

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,515
    Have you done the ignition module upgrade to Bosch BIM024?

    https://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical...sch-024-a.html

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by peal View Post
    Drop an LS1 in?
    I currently have about 90 odd tabs open on my browser doing my homework on various different methods of propulsion one of which is the LS series engines. That said though the tax man would have to be pretty generous and this engine would need to be terminally fucked....

    ...famous last words.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    Have you done the ignition module upgrade to Bosch BIM024?

    https://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical...sch-024-a.html
    Not yet no, its on the to do list though. Trying to rule out possible causes/faults one by one rather than throwing a whole heap of parts at it and hoping it fixes it. The ignition module upgrade is a good one though so even if it turns out the problem is something else ill be changing that at some point anyway.

    Ducked out to the car park quickly earlier to have a look at the vac advance. Fired engine, removed vac line and sucked on it while it was running. Zero change in RPM. Correct me if im wrong but this pretty much confirms shes fucked right?

    *edit - should clarify, i mean the vac advance is fucked*

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,515
    Engine not running you should be able to suck on vac line to advance unit, then stick your tongue on the hose and have it hold vacuum. That rules out splits in the diaphragm. I would think you should see / hear some change when doing the test you did as the timing advances. Ignition module upgrade is a great one. Gave my Rangie better economy and more grunt.

  9. #39
    Registered User irsa76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queanbeyan
    Posts
    10,059
    I know these things were thirsty, but that's horrific. Plugs, leads, rotorbutton, air cleaner all OK? What about the exhaust? Collapsed cat?

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    You're right in that it seems to make fuck all difference towing/pussy footing but fucked if i know how you were getting 20L/100!
    Mine was a 96 3.9, put a gas cam in it, skimmed the heads and gave the ports a tidy up after the original cam wore out around 220k klms.
    I did it straight after I bought it so not sure if it made a huge improvement or not.

    The blue one I posted a pic of was a 95 3.9, threw a cam in that after the original one wore out around 220k klms and did the head gaskets cause they where fucked but left the rest stock.
    It was manual and used to do around 24L/100 but that was with the 33's on it and I took great pride in thrashing it like a red headed step child every time I drove it.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

  11. #41
    What's that whooshing? Aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Canberra - ACT
    Posts
    3,782

    Land-Yolo Discovery 1

    Dude down here in Canberra is parting out some ARB bits (bar and steps) plus an entire D1 with issues. May not have the same issues as yours and the ask is under $1k

    One of the Tysonís Cars groups on FB
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...77954682849046
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-04-18 at 11:47 PM.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

  12. #42
    southern cross tat free ozyprd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    234
    can vouch for the 200tdi i had a d1 now have a gq and the d1 so much nicer to be in. While the 200tdi was slow i would get around 80ks to a tank and when going off road there was nothing that stopped it and to top it off the diesels have like 4 of the dreaded English wires on board and easy to make more power add boost wind of the smoke screw diesel mechanic showed me how

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160118_161632.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	105694
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    waaay too complicated a plot for one of those movies.


    zombie bogans go: "Naaawwwwssssss"

  13. #43
    free hugs! Paddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Under a BMW
    Posts
    6,228
    Have a good friend that keeps buying them. He's broken in the head. I've done a bit of work on them. The worst part is Land Rover/Range Rover owners. Like Valiant people.

    Best thing about a disco is the noise they make with a decent set of pipes and how comfy they can be in the rough stuff. The rest, well....
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

  14. #44
    Registered User PXL265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Have a good friend that keeps buying them. He's broken in the head. I've done a bit of work on them. The worst part is Land Rover/Range Rover owners. Like Valiant people.

    Best thing about a disco is the noise they make with a decent set of pipes and how comfy they can be in the rough stuff. The rest, well....
    Oi, leave Mr Purple alone, his valiant is cool.

    Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

  15. #45
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,985
    Dont laugh, but a TD5 would be a good cheap conversion to put in it.

    No timing belts or injector pumps to worry about.
    They are reakly smooth and not overly rattly
    They can make some really good power with mods. They arent fast standard, but heaps better than the 200/300tdi
    Should almost bolt in place. Might need an auto from a d2 to go with it, but they are a dime a dozen.
    Everybody chucks them out, all because they have a few tiny easily fixable faults, they are therefore cheap to buy
    They have a pretty much stand alone ecu and loom, so wiring should be a piece of piss.
    And you can reuse your V8 fuel system, just change fuel and put an aftermarket diesel filter on it somewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

  16. #46
    Registered User Daisy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    339
    We recently bought a D2 Td5. Looked at a couple of V8 ones, but the budget didn't stretch to buying a servo as well. Just about finished the third tank of diesel and its doing 11L/100Km, so we're ok with not having V8 noises.

  17. #47
    Look behind you... Milkman Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    look behind you
    Posts
    3,369
    I didnt want to be the buy a diesel for it person but now someone else has mentioned it Im on the bandwagon. Better than an LS as no matter how much gas you put on it wont be any better than it is now.

    Oh check the coolant temp sensor, most gas kits run off coolant temp, may also be a lead on it running rich af
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

  18. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by ozyprd View Post
    can vouch for the 200tdi i had a d1 now have a gq and the d1 so much nicer to be in. While the 200tdi was slow i would get around 80ks to a tank and when going off road there was nothing that stopped it and to top it off the diesels have like 4 of the dreaded English wires on board and easy to make more power add boost wind of the smoke screw diesel mechanic showed me how

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160118_161632.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	105694
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    We recently bought a D2 Td5. Looked at a couple of V8 ones, but the budget didn't stretch to buying a servo as well. Just about finished the third tank of diesel and its doing 11L/100Km, so we're ok with not having V8 noises.
    Lost my shit at 4 of the dreaded english wires and buying a servo

    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    Dont laugh, but a TD5 would be a good cheap conversion to put in it.

    No timing belts or injector pumps to worry about.
    They are reakly smooth and not overly rattly
    They can make some really good power with mods. They arent fast standard, but heaps better than the 200/300tdi
    Should almost bolt in place. Might need an auto from a d2 to go with it, but they are a dime a dozen.
    Everybody chucks them out, all because they have a few tiny easily fixable faults, they are therefore cheap to buy
    They have a pretty much stand alone ecu and loom, so wiring should be a piece of piss.
    And you can reuse your V8 fuel system, just change fuel and put an aftermarket diesel filter on it somewhere
    The TD5 was the one everyone told me to run for the hills and far away as possible from!

    To be fair none of the Rover engined options [petrol/diesel] or otherwise are going to make this thing fast. Its not the errr leisurely acceleration that I would be trying to fix if this engine ends up being ratshit; just the fuel economy and the need to go back a thousand gears to get up a hill. The diesel swap would fix the first...dunno about the second. Got a link to common probs/fixes for the TD5? Trying to keep options to stuff that bolts up to LT230 transfer without making shit up myself and TD5 and Trans would do this. Fuel system on mine would need fixing though as it doesnt have any of the OG bits being a dual-fuel swap, and would need mounts cut off chassis and TD5 ones welded on [same is true for 300tdi swap]

    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    I didnt want to be the buy a diesel for it person but now someone else has mentioned it Im on the bandwagon. Better than an LS as no matter how much gas you put on it wont be any better than it is now.

    Oh check the coolant temp sensor, most gas kits run off coolant temp, may also be a lead on it running rich af
    Thats one of the other things that needs to be checked, just need to find a spare 5mins to pop the bonnet and do it. Really hope the thirst can be minimized and power be upped a touch by fixing vac advance and little shit. Hoping its not a chewed cam but it occasionally goes tap-tap-tap from drivers side bank for about 5sec on really cold mornings, so i suspect if the cams not fucked, it will be at some point.

    The problem with engine swaps is it defeats the purpose of why I bought this thing in the first place. Maintenance is fine but an engine swap would take up far too much time and budget, meaning i spend more weekends covered in oil and filth than fishing or going away.

    Anyway, everyone needs to calm down its not dead yet!

  19. #49
    Look behind you... Milkman Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    look behind you
    Posts
    3,369
    A cam would be a reasonably good idea, like any V8 really. Get it spec'd for towing so its got plenty of down lows (as much as an old rover can) and be happy with reliable motoring, if it shits the bed then look at options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

  20. #50
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,985
    Yeah, the proper in too deep rover weirdos hate the td5 for some reason. Its almost like they actually love doing timing belts every 60,000km or something. Sure they have a few inherent issues, but nothing that cant be sorted piece of piss while the engine is out of the car.

    Fwiw, i got a td5 duel cab defender late last year. Averages 11.5l/100km (disco will beat that easy). Just got back from 8 days in the high country with a mate in his 06 GU 4.2 ute.. His weighed roughly 400kg more than mine, and i walked away from him through the hills. His has more fuel and boost and exhaust, and mines stock lol.


    But if you want something that hust plonks in and away you go, you cant go past a built 4.6. Put it on gas injection, and done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

  21. #51
    aka SpaZdA (tm) mondo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,378
    I always enjoy driving or riding in the front seat of Discos. Nice high seating position, excellent view, comfy captain's chairs, gentle rolling from side to side, a sense of impending doom... I sometimes imagine I am the captain of the HMS Sheffield. (That was a destroyer that copped an exocet missile up the guts during the Falkland's War.)

    Every time I see one I think about chopping the body into an extra cab ute (just before that stupid roof hump) and plonking it on a Patruiser chassis.

    If doing an engine swap I'd go VT 304. Nicer sound than an LS and more grunt down low.
    Last edited by mondo2000; 25-04-18 at 09:51 PM.

  22. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by mondo2000 View Post
    I always enjoy driving or riding in the front seat of Discos. Nice high seating position, excellent view, comfy captain's chairs, gentle rolling from side to side, a sense of impending doom... I sometimes imagine I am the captain of the HMS Sheffield. (That was a destroyer that copped an exocet missile up the guts during the Falkland's War.)


    Update on the shitboxen. Spoke to Les Richmond about the vac advance, apparently dizzy needs to come out and vac adv off to match it up as there are a few different types. Not had time for that as its still being used daily at the moment and none of my other shitboxen are currently usable. Still, had a fiddle and it appears adjusting timing as made a big improvement so i think im on the right track. Basically, Id set the timing multiple times to the recommended 12deg [standard is 2deg - wtf rover?] but it felt too far advanced, would occasionally backfire out the intake when starting and give other shitcuntery signs of timing not being right like running warm on load up hills. Had an epiphany - id been setting the timing on gas - it idles lower on gas than on fuel, so what was 12deg on idle was realistically a fair few degrees higher than it should have been. Set timing while idling on petrol, appears to have made a difference. Feels better under foot and next two tanks have returned 19L/100 and 21L/100 on gas. Improvement of about 5L/100.

    Still cant do much running on fuel; cant seem to get the right fucking fuel filter. One on there is ORIGINAL from when the gas conversion was done in 19-Ninety-Fucking-Four. Jesus. Part number has worn off it so ive got no idea what it is. Took pictures of it yep apparently its an EA Falcon one - except its not, EA falc has smaller threaded fittings. Any ideas? Also poured some injector clean to try and...well, clean shit i guess? May have poured too much in because it puffs black smoke FLAT OUT now

    Also finally got a chance to use it correctly - ie go off road. Went Eildon with a bunch of mates who quite like it. One of the tall cunts kept repeating he couldnt believe he was comfortable sitting in the back. Rode ok on the gravel roads too despite the stuffed shocks and springs. And that concludes the good part.

    So. Drove down a track to find a campsite, found a good clearing. Sweet, lets just go check the lakes edge which is 300m or so down and see if its good enough to fish from. Out of fucking nowhere the big bus starts to slide; like, uncontrollable no steering no brakes slide heading straight for a bunch of trees. Turns out the lakes edge has receeded about 200m so what is under neath is basically wet sludge. After a 30m 4 wheeled slide [impressive given we were going 10kmh at the time!] i hooked some lock and some throttle into it while we still had momentum and tried to power out of it....







    Yep we stuck Before anyone says tyres are shit yes I know, however on the balance of things its nowhere near as capable as my old Jackaroo was. Centre diff lock is good - lack of LSD rear or lockable front hubs, not so good. Essentially ended up beached with two wheels spinning. Radio'd in to danny we are setting up camp here. Why, is it a good spot? No, because im fucking stuck and we arent going anywhere

    Left recovery to the morning. Disco earned the nickname The Lakeside Cabin because i slept in the back of it





    As always. Two cunts works while every other cunt supervises



    Ground was that fucked got bogged a further two times before i made it back to hard ground.

    So, tyres were always on the list however I dont think they would have helped. The big problem is the minute the ground gets too slippery it turns into a 2.5t 2WD. Looks like im adding a locker to the mod list at some point....so much for cheap 4WD!

    N-

  23. #53
    Registered User Gats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,608
    Lol, at least it made for a good story

  24. #54
    Eurotrash :D
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,122
    decent tyres and a lockable centre diff would have avoided that.

    black smoke is insane rich. change the coolant temp sensor for the ecu, not the dash one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....


    I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

  25. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Lol, at least it made for a good story
    Lol there will be more to come no doubt. Im probably THE worst person in the world to give a 4WD.....you dont want to know what I did to the jackaroo LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    decent tyres and a lockable centre diff would have avoided that.

    black smoke is insane rich. change the coolant temp sensor for the ecu, not the dash one.
    It has lockable centre diff/transfer; problem is even with that open diffs either end are hopeless. TrueTrac or Airlocker in rear will help massively.

    Yeah thats on the to-check-list also been meaning to run the multimeter over it, but having said that it wasnt dumping so much fuel pre-pouring red stuff into tank. Just need to bloody find time to work on the the fucking thing!

  26. #56
    Desert Nigga vet 180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    3,508
    Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post


    Update on the shitboxen. Spoke to Les Richmond about the vac advance, apparently dizzy needs to come out and vac adv off to match it up as there are a few different types. Not had time for that as its still being used daily at the moment and none of my other shitboxen are currently usable. Still, had a fiddle and it appears adjusting timing as made a big improvement so i think im on the right track. Basically, Id set the timing multiple times to the recommended 12deg [standard is 2deg - wtf rover?] but it felt too far advanced, would occasionally backfire out the intake when starting and give other shitcuntery signs of timing not being right like running warm on load up hills. Had an epiphany - id been setting the timing on gas - it idles lower on gas than on fuel, so what was 12deg on idle was realistically a fair few degrees higher than it should have been. Set timing while idling on petrol, appears to have made a difference. Feels better under foot and next two tanks have returned 19L/100 and 21L/100 on gas. Improvement of about 5L/100.

    Still cant do much running on fuel; cant seem to get the right fucking fuel filter. One on there is ORIGINAL from when the gas conversion was done in 19-Ninety-Fucking-Four. Jesus. Part number has worn off it so ive got no idea what it is. Took pictures of it yep apparently its an EA Falcon one - except its not, EA falc has smaller threaded fittings. Any ideas? Also poured some injector clean to try and...well, clean shit i guess? May have poured too much in because it puffs black smoke FLAT OUT now

    Also finally got a chance to use it correctly - ie go off road. Went Eildon with a bunch of mates who quite like it. One of the tall cunts kept repeating he couldnt believe he was comfortable sitting in the back. Rode ok on the gravel roads too despite the stuffed shocks and springs. And that concludes the good part.

    So. Drove down a track to find a campsite, found a good clearing. Sweet, lets just go check the lakes edge which is 300m or so down and see if its good enough to fish from. Out of fucking nowhere the big bus starts to slide; like, uncontrollable no steering no brakes slide heading straight for a bunch of trees. Turns out the lakes edge has receeded about 200m so what is under neath is basically wet sludge. After a 30m 4 wheeled slide [impressive given we were going 10kmh at the time!] i hooked some lock and some throttle into it while we still had momentum and tried to power out of it....







    Yep we stuck Before anyone says tyres are shit yes I know, however on the balance of things its nowhere near as capable as my old Jackaroo was. Centre diff lock is good - lack of LSD rear or lockable front hubs, not so good. Essentially ended up beached with two wheels spinning. Radio'd in to danny we are setting up camp here. Why, is it a good spot? No, because im fucking stuck and we arent going anywhere

    Left recovery to the morning. Disco earned the nickname The Lakeside Cabin because i slept in the back of it





    As always. Two cunts works while every other cunt supervises



    Ground was that fucked got bogged a further two times before i made it back to hard ground.

    So, tyres were always on the list however I dont think they would have helped. The big problem is the minute the ground gets too slippery it turns into a 2.5t 2WD. Looks like im adding a locker to the mod list at some point....so much for cheap 4WD!

    N-
    Could always still do the locker on the cheap. I guess it depends how much you like it as a daily


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

  27. #57
    Gas Turbine enthusiast da9jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Radelaide
    Posts
    5,711
    Can get a Detroit locker for the back, cheap option.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

    Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

    75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

  28. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    VIC
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    Could always still do the locker on the cheap. I guess it depends how much you like it as a daily


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny you say that actually, a mate reminded me I recently bought a mig....

    All jokes aside its actually proved to be a decent daily. I swore black and blue i didnt want a 4wd for an every dayer but its sort of grown on both me and the nopics - using it to run up and down to the oldies place for dinner etc to keep ks off the WRX and its doing a decent job of it. Ive lived with locked diffs long-term [Gemini has had a locker for almost 10yrs] so they dont phase me but i daresay itd make this thing a cunt to drive plus mrs has to occasionally drive it - shes fine driving the Gemini with the locker but yeah i think this would be a bit too daunting.

    Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Can get a Detroit locker for the back, cheap option.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Got a link? Was leaning towards truetrac because relatively affordable from states* and having got one in the bum of the VZ it made a giant difference to the way it drove, big fan. Struggling to find prices on ARB locker - pdf online says front and rear 1500 installed but methinks that sounds almost too cheap for BOTH ends to be done, surely that only means one end?

    *assuming freight doesnt kill the cost

  29. #59
    Registered User Gats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,608
    Yeah air lockers are usually 1500ish each end. Around the 2k mark if you get one end plus a compressor installed.

  30. #60
    Gas Turbine enthusiast da9jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Radelaide
    Posts
    5,711
    Are you on the fb groups? Ask on either aulro or hmlr (heavily modified land rovers). Its a yank site that just does landies, axles diffs etc. Cant think of the name sorry.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

    Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

    75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •