Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MIG weld basics - spares, useful shit to have, resources

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    Any tips to stop the wire from unravelling the minute you try to feed it through the roller?
    Hold it really fucking tight.

I guess you could try running a strip of Gaffer tape around it?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Hold it really fucking tight.

I guess you could try running a strip of Gaffer tape around it?
    When it happened it was literally like in a cartoon where they open the box and shit goes flying everywhere

Yeah might give that a stab, surely it would have to help

As for the ear plug - there should be hole you feed the wire through before it hits the feed roller - feed the wire through the earplug before it goes through the hole. Some welders use a short length of liner there too.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Has a short piece of flexy spring as a guide there prior to the wire hitting the roller, not sure how much space is avail [im using the 5kg reel] but ill give it a stab thanks

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Coregas (bunnings) is now doing e bottles. Bit of extra deposit but much more useful if welding regularly.

Ps. DO NOT USE SHITTY DISPOSABLE BOTTLES!!!!
    Australia wide? Only seeing D size on their website, would be good to swap my D size out and pay the deposit difference to go up to E size

Coregas announced via faceballs last month. Pretty sure its aus wide. Check bunnings site or give them a call.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Just called local no E size in stock. Looks like they haven't rolled out yet to NSW. Going to hold off swapping my D out until they come in stock. E will be so much better, more than twice the gas for a about 1.5 x the price.

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    Morning gents.

-Gas and Gasless wire; is there actually a difference between the two

-Anti-spatter sprays; do they actually work?-
    My 2 cents;

The metal in the wire is almost the same, but gasless is hollow with a flux core that melts during welding and prevents the weld metal from oxidising as well as minimising spatter. You therefore need to use a larger flux cored wire to put down the same amount of metal (called the deposition rate) e.g. 0.9mm MIG is about the same as 1.2mm FCAW.

Anti spatter spray works, but home brand cooking spray works just as well.

Wear decent gloves so you can feel what you are doing. Use the shit ones for grinding only if you are a tight arse like me. Learn to stand with your feet wide apart or wear good boots - molten metal is hot!
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Tip for anyone going via Bunnings (pissed off now!)

If you get the Coregas from bunnings *keep* the receipt! Otherwise you get a refund should you wish to return the bottle. Best you'll get is a store credit. Pissed off as bought mine almost 18 months ago and fucks knows if i've kept the receipt.

Went to exchange an Argon bottle this afternoon even then they kicked up a stink because I didn't have the receipt. I said mate that empty bottle is my receipt, give me another bottle, fuckwit relented in the end.

Would have thought you'd need to keep the receipt to get your deposit back?

When considering Coregas is owned by Westfarmers, I wouldn't think they'd be cunts about it. I have a box full of Bunnings receipts, and the only one I can't find is the fucking receipt for the initial deposit/purchase. It's not like I'm going to return it anyway, just pisses me off that I wasn't told about it from the beginning, even the receipts they give you fade after 18-24 month, so I would have taken a photo of it and sent myself an email attachment.

Yeah when i got my argon and 75/25 they photocopied the receipts for me and told me the speil. Not sure on the reasoning but they both live in the filing cabinet.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

when you feed the wire into the liner, then setup the wire tensioner, just wind the wire spool backwards so there is always pressure against it. Once you've tightened the tensioner down against the wire feed motor, the spool wont unwind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Went local bunnings today to get MIG gas after happily handing back my empty cylinder to BOCunts last week. Took my 299 bucks (deposit plus 99 for the cylinder), then went to get me the cylinder... 10 minutes later, sorry we don't have stock... another 10 minutes to refund me...

FFS... BOC costs but at least you can get the fucking gas when you needed ... closest bunnings with stock is the same distance as BOC.... (about 25 minutes each way, and meh...)

No welding this weekend!

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    When considering Coregas is owned by Westfarmers, I wouldn't think they'd be cunts about it. I have a box full of Bunnings receipts, and the only one I can't find is the fucking receipt for the initial deposit/purchase. It's not like I'm going to return it anyway, just pisses me off that I wasn't told about it from the beginning, even the receipts they give you fade after 18-24 month, so I would have taken a photo of it and sent myself an email attachment.
    I take a pic on me phone via one note (office 365), bunnings shit goes in the bunnings folder other shit goes in that stores folder... is great for that and syncs to the PC.

Don't mention the adBlocker !!

I didnt think anyone did gas at bunnings anyway? Usually more expensive than the dedicated tool shops that actually have gas in stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    I didnt think anyone did gas at bunnings anyway? Usually more expensive than the dedicated tool shops that actually have gas in stock.
    Not all the Bunnings stores do gas the two closest to me donít. Per Fondles, photograph your deposit receipt as soon as they hand it to you. I got a deposit refunded off a photo no probs.

Anyway Iíve now moved on to the BOC deal, much cheaper for the amount Iím welding

Quote Originally Posted by rowdytoot View Post
    Went local bunnings today to get MIG gas after happily handing back my empty cylinder to BOCunts last week. Took my 299 bucks (deposit plus 99 for the cylinder), then went to get me the cylinder... 10 minutes later, sorry we don't have stock... another 10 minutes to refund me...

FFS... BOC costs but at least you can get the fucking gas when you needed ... closest bunnings with stock is the same distance as BOC.... (about 25 minutes each way, and meh...)

No welding this weekend!
    Gasweld in Fyshwick do swap mig gas, and always have stock in varying sizes.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/K0...utm_source=EDM

For retard (Me) who wants to weld upto 1.8mm steel and 1.3 to 1.6mm car panels. Will be rarely used - 2 to 3 times a year.

Or am I better off saving up and buying a Linclon/Miller 180A unit?

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/K0...utm_source=EDM

For retard (Me) who wants to weld upto 1.8mm steel and 1.3 to 1.6mm car panels. Will be rarely used - 2 to 3 times a year.

Or am I better off saving up and buying a Linclon/Miller 180A unit?
    If hardly using it I say start with the cheapie, that deal seems OK, and its from Hare and Forbes so they will be there if it plays up. Unimig is well known albeit Chinese.
    Personally, I do a fair bit of welding now and use the Lincoln Mig stuff, but I started with a cheapie Rossi and it was better than I was for quite some time.
    I still use a Rossi AC/DC TIG and until it dies its good enough for me.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8
    BMW 325ti Proddy Car

Quote Originally Posted by GHZ28 View Post
    If hardly using it I say start with the cheapie, that deal seems OK, and its from Hare and Forbes so they will be there if it plays up. Unimig is well known albeit Chinese.
    Personally, I do a fair bit of welding now and use the Lincoln Mig stuff, but I started with a cheapie Rossi and it was better than I was for quite some time.
    I still use a Rossi AC/DC TIG and until it dies its good enough for me.
    Thank you sir.