Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Emtron KV ecus

new Race capture track support LUA scripting as well as external GPS antenna.

I've written some code to transmit CAN data to the ECU for GPS, gyro and accelerometer data. KV8 has an accellerometer internally but have included it for completeness.

Emtune and KV series firmware hasn't been released yet but Scott at Emtron has provided me all the Frame information, but I'd need his permission to share that publicly.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 15-10-18 at 06:10 PM.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    about as much as the ecu making a car fast around a track when its all aero that makes or breaks it.
    Fucking lol. You know that’s not true, torque management is ridiculously important if you watch Luff’s lap in the Hammerhead. EVERY CORNER wheelspin, wheel corrections. So your statement means either hammerhead lacks aero (?) or that there is significant time in gps torque management.

Any car pulling an M150 off is silly, but then again anyone running any Haltech when Emtron exists (for literally any application) is silly too. But marketing. Right?

That said anyone with any real good firmware and using it for anything at all ‘trick’ with an M150 wouldn’t pull one off for anything so it goes to show how underutilized the M1 platform is. I mean if your Motec is controlling active aero based on shock load cells and brake pedal pressure, and does gps based traction control per corner, with M5 ABS controlling yaw rate... you wouldn’t be sidelining it for an Emtron. but no one is really using M1 properly in Aus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

i cant wait to see all these high end EMtron and M150 builds your doing, sounds like your going to set the world on fire
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

If I was at the pointy end of a division and I owned the best ECU and someone gave me a 5000 dollar ECU for free I don't see the economics. Would be a drop in the ocean for how much they have and still are spending.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Why so butthurt? It’s real simple, you shit on Emtron. Emtron wins WTAC. You say it’s because free ecu’s... that’s all fair and well. It’s how the world works.

Its eerily similar to last 5 years of this dude in Australia helping get Haltechs on American racing shows on TV for free etc. Would Ekanoo drop their Motec firmware for a Haltech? Unlikely. Would someone using any other regular off the shelf setups? You bet! Fueltech giving out freebies? See them lots now. It’s all marketing and bullshit.

i was simply making the point that no one using M1 build to its potential with the data and control systems on the market right now would ever change ecu’s; so you can surmise they weren’t using M1 to its potential/or the talent is too expensive to find or employ to do so. You seem to imply that they could of dropped to a wolf 3d and done the same lap times because ‘lol aero’, which simply isn’t true.
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    If I was at the pointy end of a division and I owned the best ECU and someone gave me a 5000 dollar ECU for free I don't see the economics. Would be a drop in the ocean for how much they have and still are spending.
    They can because the $3000 kv8 you buy does the same and more (and to the same standard) than a $5k M150 Gprp package, and the Motec PDM and dash with Emtron is peas and corn, so they still get to use i2. The Motec gets good when you spend the other $10k on a dude who understands everything about your hardware and goal writing firmware. It’s probably a pretty lucrative career to be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    you shit on Emtron. .
    where did i shit on emtron or give false info? i didnt.. and yes half those cars would be just as quick with any other ecu..
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    new Race capture track support LUA scripting as well as external GPS antenna.

I've written some code to transmit CAN data to the ECU for GPS, gyro and accelerometer data. KV8 has an accellerometer internally but have included it for completeness.

Emtune and KV series firmware hasn't been released yet but Scott at Emtron has provided me all the Frame information, but I'd need his permission to share that publicly.
    Might need to talk to you later about that.
    I'll be going the other way out of the KV8 via CAN into RCP v2, but I can see the advantage of having 50hz GPS speed going in to the KV8, along with roll / yaw / pitch.

They can because the $3000 kv8 you buy does the same and more (and to the same standard) than a $5k M150 Gprp package, and the Motec PDM and dash with Emtron is peas and corn, so they still get to use i2. The Motec gets good when you spend the other $10k on a dude who understands everything about your hardware and goal writing firmware. It’s probably a pretty lucrative career to be that guy.
    I looked at the M1 series again recently. Cannot justify what they are asking for my application, despite the fact that they're close by for face to face tech support.
    KV8 exceeds my requirement for less money.

I can’t wait to see the build from Cracka this sounds like it’s going to be the best car on the face of the earth
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by sssgtr View Post
    Might need to talk to you later about that.
    I'll be going the other way out of the KV8 via CAN into RCP v2, but I can see the advantage of having 50hz GPS speed going in to the KV8, along with roll / yaw / pitch.
    you can go both directions on the same canbus. and as the emtron has fully customizable TX and RX CAN frames you can bring in/send out whatever data you want. The racecapture lets you configure incoming data to log on the RCP phone/tablet/PC app, but if you want to push data the other way (RCP->ECU) then you need to script it, but its super easy to do. LUA is a nice language to use, writes out like pseudocode, and all the RCP data is available using built in functions. you just have to scale everything as CAN only does integers, and you have to break variables into bytes for the CAN transfer function.

function sendImu()
    local x1,x2 = split16(getImu(0) * 100)
    local y1,y2 = split16(getImu(1) * 100)
    local z1,z2 = split16(getImu(2) * 100)

local yaw1,yaw2 = split16(getImu(3) * 10)
    local pitch1,pitch2 = split16(getImu(4) * 10)
    local roll1,roll2 = split16(getImu(5) * 10)

sendCAN(0, 800, {x1,x2,y1,y2,z1,z2})
    sendCAN(0, 801, {roll1,roll2,pitch1,pitch2,yaw1,yaw2})
    end
    Last edited by burn is weird; 16-10-18 at 09:13 AM.

Oo___oO

Cheers.

Are you customizing your firmware mate?

No, firmware is standard but Scott is doing new incremental builds all the time and he sends some to me from time to time.

He probably hates me as I'm sending him improvement comments/requests all the time, but to his credit he's a super nice guy and is very proactive about them, excluding requests that fundamentally change to the VE model like "can I have a port film enrichment model please" which require serious dev time.

its funny, a lot of things I request he already has in the works, like the GPS stuff.

its a nice change, as Adaptronic stopped giving a fuck about the E1280s a long time ago and its firmware is still buggy.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 16-10-18 at 09:26 AM.

Oo___oO

Good to know!

Interested bystander
    ..., torque management is ridiculously important if you watch Luff’s lap in the Hammerhead. EVERY CORNER wheelspin, wheel corrections. So your statement means either hammerhead lacks aero (?) or that there is significant time in gps torque management.
    Not all the available torque management strategies were being used. But that was someone else's decision.

I would have thought any GPS based tq management strategies would not work, as civilian GPS is not accurate enough. Unless I'm wrong?

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    I think with differential or gyro + civ GPS it would be fine. It would certainly need high sat counts and a good gyro/compass but within 10 meters.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

everything works in his head, until it dosent
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    everything works in his head, until it dosent
    Who's this a dig at? I can't keep up here Dale

This is 1 for dale...

Speaking of CAN etc, can a haltech make changes over CAN. Eg, if i have a motec dash and motec rally dial, can i make adjustments to the boost / 2-step / traction control etc, which would be received into the haltech over CAN ?

Gps is certainly good enough to switch mapping for different sectors of a track but I wouldn't be doing it mid corner. Ideally in coast/brake areas so transition is seamless. It also depends on the implementation. If the Gps is using sensor fusion with an IMU and kalman filtering, that certainly reduces the radius of your uncertainty. Without it 50hz is quite noisy and you're better off at 20hz if it's raw Gps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    I think with differential or gyro + civ GPS it would be fine. It would certainly need high sat counts and a good gyro/compass but within 10 meters.
    I'm not convinced mate....you theoretically need positional accuracy within 10cm at a high frequency for it to be effective, otherwise junk in = junk out.

It might work for boost mapping on long straights, but it could be unpredictable if your sat count drops.

Pity you can't buy DAGR GPS receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Dude the gps has nothing to do with actual traction control using gps as an integer, it’s about sector identification on track. Pre setting up profiles corner by corner for torque and aero and abs and diff management. Fuck, some of the offroad cunts use it to adjust tyre pressure, pedal maps and bump stops on the fly depending on track sector. The more the driver can focus on vehicle inputs instead of on the fly changes to the car he better. We watch cunts in V8SC adjust brake and sway bars 6 times per lap, because they can’t legally have it done automatically in the regulations.

Factory cars already do this shit (and ironically use Motec M1 to do so for some of them) for cute changes to shocks, aero, diffs etc at flicks of a button.... Adding gps as a parameter to switch some shit around based on location on a track is pretty elementary. The fact it isn’t being fully exploited by smart cunts and teams at unlimited events like WTaC is surprising.

Dale just being a sook because... well I don’t know? even though he knows full well exactly what’s possible with the right brains behind shit, he even knows the people doing trick shit like that in the straight line world. Pretty sure him and shaneT are beer guzzling pals?

Interested bystander
    I am not sure why GPS position is necessary on a track for function modification / control switching. A beacon then integration of position from the non-driven wheels is surely accurate enough for control purposes. Let alone that a GPS doesn't know about track grip levels, temperatures.

if you're using a GPS to modify mapping you would certainly have failsafes based on lock quality/sat counts and have the antenna in a prominent position to the sky.

if you are concerned with precision for mapping, you can use a GPS or lap beacon as a lap reset and modify your mapping based on a distance travelled variable.

Oo___oO

Sure, or time based, or telemetry from a cunt in the pits. Any of the options to aid the driver focus on right pedal = car goes forward, not spins wheels is the goal, right.

speaking of which, I've got my KV8 doing wireless telemetry on the 4g network.

using one of these: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/...L-WR902AC.html, a 4g modem and VPN tunnel firmware on the tplink box.

someone can tune it/read live data from anywhere on the planet while you're drive around.

or through wifi by connecting to access point with a laptop in the car.

no cables, its all hidden and you only power the router with a cig lighter usb power plug when you need it.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 16-10-18 at 04:08 PM.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by RSWEPN View Post
    This is 1 for dale...

Speaking of CAN etc, can a haltech make changes over CAN. Eg, if i have a motec dash and motec rally dial, can i make adjustments to the boost / 2-step / traction control etc, which would be received into the haltech over CAN ?
    not currently but its on the list of things to do, dont have a ETA tho.
    im a cunt

Nice. Be interested to see more on how you set it up
    Have you seen the demos of the messaging from Podium to the RCP dash app? Messages can be ack'd with a yes / no.

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    speaking of which, I've got my KV8 doing wireless telemetry on the 4g network.

using one of these: https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/...L-WR902AC.html, a 4g modem and VPN tunnel firmware on the tplink box.

someone can tune it/read live data from anywhere on the planet while you're drive around.

or through wifi by connecting to access point with a laptop in the car.

no cables, its all hidden and you only power the router with a cig lighter usb power plug when you need it.
    ive done the same thing using a pocket PC and a 4g dongle, just plug it in and power it up and away you go
    im a cunt