Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Emtron KV ecus

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    everything works in his head, until it dosent
    Was that for me dude? I was staying within 10 meter accuracy would be fine to determine track sector for ecu calcs trims.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Don't (or, perhaps, didn't) MotoGP bikes use GPS to change corner-to-corner throttle response?

3.5k will buy you an inertial navigation system which will give you 2cm RTK positioning accuracy and weighs 30 grams, and the inertial system can cope with extended gnss outages as well as severe multipath, especially when linked to a wheel speed input

12k will buy you one accurate to 8mm and weighs 285g

you could easily use one of these systems for sector-based setup work, or possibly even more granular stuff. mostly they're used for vehicle dynamics testing though

i know because i supply these systems to race teams around the world already :P
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    3.5k will buy you an inertial navigation system which will give you 2cm RTK positioning accuracy and weighs 30 grams, and the inertial system can cope with extended gnss outages as well as severe multipath, especially when linked to a wheel speed input

12k will buy you one accurate to 8mm and weighs 285g

you could easily use one of these systems for sector-based setup work, or possibly even more granular stuff. mostly they're used for vehicle dynamics testing though

i know because i supply these systems to race teams around the world already :P
    Laser gyro?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    ive done the same thing using a pocket PC and a 4g dongle, just plug it in and power it up and away you go
    That's pretty cool. Will most ecus allow live tuning?

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Laser gyro?

Ring laser gyros are mega dollars. These use MEMS or fibre optic gyros, coupled with accelerometers, magnetometers, pressure sensors and an RTK GNSS receiver

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    Ring laser gyros are mega dollars. These use MEMS or fibre optic gyros, coupled with accelerometers, magnetometers, pressure sensors and an RTK GNSS receiver
    When I saw inertial nav and 3k in the same sentence I was intrigued, our INUs definitely dont cost 3k

not all our stuff is 3k

cunt
    when is Emtron coming up with a 50-qubit ECU? it will need no sensors...
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

probably about a decade after the OEMs, as is tradition in the ECU aftermarket.

Oo___oO

Plan on picking up a KV8 soon.

Does Emtron have anything in the works that I should hold out for?

Would be good to know, i wish they would bring out a PMB so i could cator for my OCD.
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

hardware wise, there is nothing to add. the KV8 won't evolve for a while yet, as there is nowhere to evolve to. physically, it isn't missing anything that I can think of, except for maybe an onboard gyro, and support for two-wire Reluctor wheel speed sensors.

The KV8 has huge processing power and unless you're using on a DI car the I/O is still ideal, its Native Ethernet so speed will never be an issue (vs shitty bitrate USB->serial converters in other ecus) and 1MB canbus is still the standard.

there are more Canbus devices in the pipeline, so the firmware will continue to evolve but the hardware it's running on is still state of the art for the aftermarket. my peak ECU utilization is about 70%, and I'm using a lot of tables/features.

about the only thing that has moved on since the initial design is there is now a bosch Wideband LSU ADV sensor that may require different control (from what i can tell the heater requires far less power so would use different heater PID control) . it would depend if the KV8 controls the sensor itself or has a seperate CJ125 chip doing it. as you can set the lambda controller to standard or fast heatup modes, the KV8 must have control or be talking the the CJ125 through SPI.

if its the former, a firmware load would take care of it as the sensors are fundamentally the same measuring method, otherwise it would be baked into the KV8 board design and would need a new hardware revision to provide support for the new sensor heating profile in the CJ125 chip.

ADV is nice, much faster heatup, more tolerant to heat/pressure, doesn't slow down after 1000 or so hours and uses less heater power. also because no factory cal resistor is in the connector, you can wire it with any connector you like.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 29-10-18 at 01:37 PM.

Oo___oO

Picking up my KV8 in a couple of days.

Regarding power input - since the pins are limited to 15amp each, is 18awg Spec55 sufficient?
    Last edited by sssgtr; 21-11-18 at 06:44 PM.

You'll need to convert it from furlongs per square gold fish to metric before I can help with current ratings.

Are you building a new OEM style loom or a heat shrink style clump? It effects the derating considerably that's all.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

18 awg = 0.82mm2 / 1.02mm diameter.

I think 16awg (1.31mm2) is probably the safe bet, I did some more research this afternoon. Problem is, the pins are "supposedly" rated for 20 awg wire.

Only a heatshrink clump in the engine bay. Cabin to firewall won't require heatshrink and will probably just be nylon braid.

Isn't the de-rating for a bundle something in the order of 50% vs. free air?

Yeah it is horrendous. Obviously it offers other advantages, like looking SICK AS FUCK but cloth tape and loose spiral wound like an OEM is the go for the cables sake.

2 mm▓ will sort you for 15 A even after derating. The strands can be reduced to fit a crimp if required outside of the clumping (plugs).

It's an actual engineering feat looming a car, which is surprising to most.
    Jason Broadhurst

Thanks. So of course you can't buy Spec 55 in 2mm2 / 14awg. Ugh.

Lol 14ga.. just use 20 like normal..
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Opens
    I have a heat shrink loom in both of my cars. Building the harness took significantly longer and cost significantly more than building a harness with tape or flexible sleeving.

I have had no failures or issues. Both cars have bulkhead connectors.

Would I do it again? Probably not, but I haven't had issues.

If you correctly spec the wire size for all your needs and terminate things properly you won't have dramas.

If you use pissy little power wires for injectors and coils then things won't work correctly on high demand applications.

I checked my OE injector wiring last night, looks like at least 16awg for saturated injectors.

I would run 20 ga for all sensors, 16 or 18 for injectors, 16 for power feed and earth to ecu.
    im a cunt

The 0v ref input for the KV8 I'm going to run 18awg, and splice off to 22awg for the individual sensors that need it (map, tps, clt, iat etc).

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    I have a heat shrink loom in both of my cars. Building the harness took significantly longer and cost significantly more than building a harness with tape or flexible sleeving.

I have had no failures or issues. Both cars have bulkhead connectors.

Would I do it again? Probably not, but I haven't had issues.

If you correctly spec the wire size for all your needs and terminate things properly you won't have dramas.

If you use pissy little power wires for injectors and coils then things won't work correctly on high demand applications.
    You do a fairly legit loom compared to most though!

2.5 mm▓ would be for a 15 A fused supply buried in a heat shrink loom, for injectors. Same for ignitors. For a 6 cylinder car. Scale for more or less cylinders.
    Last edited by Jason Broadhurst; 23-11-18 at 12:39 PM.
    Jason Broadhurst

+ve Power supply to the kv8 doesn't have to be that big. The ecu doesn't pull much current, wideband heaters would be the heaviest user unless you're high driving stuff. It's all the sink to ground outputs that really strains puny little ground wires and cause the ecu reference to start to float.

I had to run a fat ground to the engine block to stop a 14->13.2 phantom voltage drop on a pull to redline.

Ecu needs about 350ma, widebands 1a each and if you peg the 5v supplies that probably another 200ma. The rest of the IO is usually sunk
    Last edited by burn is weird; 23-11-18 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks all.

Burn, pm'd you about a comms issue I'm having.

Does Emtron need to upgrade my trial license on their license server before it will let me connect to Emtune?

I was told that when you first connect to the ECU, it is supposed to pull a license out of the ECU, however I can't connect to my KV8 on the bench at all.

Scott is usually pretty quick at getting back to
    You so just email him
    im a cunt

Yeah no worries. I'll contact him now.

Managed to get it sorted.
    Trial licenses will absolutely not communicate with an ECU whatsoever.
    Bit disappointed that it wasn't sorted Friday arvo by the dealer after I picked it up.