Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so bought a 4x4

cunt

so bought a 4x4

As some of you might now, from test driving Wrangles and FJ, even looked a a new Prado over the last few years I kinda realised all those cars have are ok at one thing and missing another and cost a bomb new so looked at the second hand.
    Patrols looked ok on paper until I drove some, fucking hell the 2.8L TD is so fast I can literally outrun it on my bicycle, looked at some toyota's and 2nd had Jeeps and meh

Decided to buy the worst 4x4 in the world, even had to fly to Melb and drive it back, made it in extreme comfort

sucking about 12.3 to 12.8 per 100 wasn't goo bad on the highway mind you it felt like I was only driving uphill, once I hit Gold Coast it was getting close to 11.7 on the flats

Its a P38 so there is bound to be issues right? yup but not the car's fault, someone installed a batter disconnect switch, they do drain the battery after a week if there is a lot of radio interference but the disconnect was loose and it would not start sometimes and threw all this shit at me like gearbox problem, windows not set bla bla, removed the offending disconnect and bam, all issues gone. Also not a lot of air coming through vents which I think it's down to the filters being dirty, will check that.

Not much else, I think i seen one of the ball joints having a split rubber boot, so might do that and see if it passes RWC, don't leak on the ground, don't make funny noises from the V8. The wheels might go, they are good on highway shit around town at 37psi, might try and find some 16" and leave the 18" for not sure what but I'll probably keep them

Air suspension is out, looks like it was removed completely, even pumps and everything associated with it which leaves a good piece of real-estate for a 2nd battery under the hood and I'm investigating replacing all relays with solid state ones
    Last edited by XFJET; 11-06-18 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

Nice. Been wondering about P38s a bit, not sure I'm brave enough to go there though.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Nice. Been wondering about P38s a bit, not sure I'm brave enough to go there though.
    Lol, between your bikes, Alfa and BMW, and god knows what else, I don't thing a P38 would be an issue for you.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    What year is it? 4.6 or 4.0?

I never paid much attention to P38's so this should be interesting.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

cunt
    96 4.6, 300k, full log book history until 285k, grandmom gave it to daughter, daughter never service it for 18 months, relay for HVAC faulty no airon/heating (works but it's so random) so she sells it.... I drive pick it up, change relay all works, still haven't given it a service, no oil usage from Melb, no smoke no any crazy shit, oil looks disgusting thou, gearbag oil looks clean so does PS oil, didn't use water, the only issue was the stupid battery disconnect which is silly because going through the service records I seen she replaced the battery in Feb and the guy there written on the battery invoice/docket to "replace faulty battery switch", it had gaffer tape on it! fuck me!

comes with 2 keys/remotes but only one at a time works, disconnect the battery and looses info for remote which is ok, open door with remote 1 and close door now apparently its learned the remote and works, no idea how to pair the 2nd remote as the same shit don't work, disconnect the battery and do the same with the 2nd remote and works but no idea how to pair the 1st remote, my guess is they either have a master/slave remote or there is learning function which I haven't found out, comes with manual, haven't read it yet!

has slight faded paint on bonnet from what I can see, don't bother me, I bought it to take my bike to the bike track and ride to work from there so it will be left outside 100% of the time for now, interior is pretty damn mint for the age almost feel guilty leavign it in the sun, booth has some sheepskin covers, might look at that as the leather is in really good condition

as long as it takes me to the train station/bike way and can tow my boat about 1.8km I'm super happy! apart from that I'll try and get into 4x4'ing and see where it takes me, if I like it it's only a few grand vs plonking 30k for an FJ or Wrangler

I think the newer P38 come with the Bosch thing but from what I understood you can just change to gen3 19lb injectors on the GEMS engine and you get 90% of the newer engine characteristics without all the crap associated with the newer one electronics and O2 sensors and shit, reminds me of the EFI XF Falcon with AU injectors, fucking massive difference for fuck all money
    Last edited by XFJET; 11-06-18 at 02:31 PM.
    I think u should marry her... slip the ring inside your ass and next time she goes in, she'll come out with a ring on her finger...

Yeah '96 is still GEMS.

I've got the factory manuals with wiring diagrams, electrical troubleshooting guide and a few other dealer documents for it.

Send me a PM with your email address i'll give you a link to my dropbox to download them.

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    What sort of $ are these worth?
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Most guys wreck them out or pay a scrapie lol. Should be good off road with coiled live axles. Good thing about old rovers is that by this age every single possible problem has occured and been solved diy, most stuff is a Google away from an answer.

I'm still tempted by L322s and even d3/4s have caught my interest.... they are a bloody sickness.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

cunt
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    What sort of $ are these worth?
    not as much as someone would think, probably paid 1k too much than scrapyard because of the interior and overall condition

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Most guys wreck them out or pay a scrapie lol. Should be good off road with coiled live axles. Good thing about old rovers is that by this age every single possible problem has occured and been solved diy, most stuff is a Google away from an answer.

I'm still tempted by L322s and even d3/4s have caught my interest.... they are a bloody sickness.

yeah with coil springs it's not bad, today I've looked at thy the climate was shit, one of the relay for one of the blower motors looks burned, will try and find some solid state ones and not fuck around with shitty ones, even a Navra one I used on the STI shat itself within a week driving the lights below the front bar, I reckon best bet for relay's now is to go to wreckers and get some really old ones, they seem to be miles better

today fixed the front tyre pressure, fuck me it was at 38psi, looked at what RL recommends and it's 28 front and 38 rear, now the front end is good and much smoother

wonder how well 18" would do on the beach

nerver liked the L322's they look like a really big barge and the rear is a bit "different" and the cut outs behind the front arches don't do it for me, don't like the LR3/4 either but do love the D2, i reckon the D2 and the P38 have that typical british look but meh, if it's going to last me a few years I'm happy, it's miles more comfortable than a patrol and cruiser at the same cost, some of the 80 series and 100 series are like 20k ... wtf!
    Last edited by XFJET; 11-06-18 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Lol, between your bikes, Alfa and BMW, and god knows what else, I don't thing a P38 would be an issue for you.
    Alfa is so simple it's a piece of cake to work on (And reliable). BMW is reliable. Ditto bikes. Had a 2001 Rover 75, hence the fear.
    While I have no doubt I could work on one, it's the time it consumes these days...
    Last edited by Gammaboy; 12-06-18 at 09:00 AM.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by XFJET View Post
    if it's going to last me a few years I'm happy, it's miles more comfortable than a patrol and cruiser at the same cost, some of the 80 series and 100 series are like 20k ... wtf!
    Exactly the same thing that sucked me in with the Discovery

I think the biggest issue with these was the airbag suspension which you no longer have and the 4.6 dropped cylinder liners - they are the big one. Other than that i think its all bullshit electrical stuff thats pretty well documented.

Will be following this and seeing how you go

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Same 80 series price thing that saw me buying the Jeep.

It Places the lotion in the basket!

cunt

so bought a 4x4

well I sat in an 80 series and GU patrol and fuck me I understand they are supposed to be reliable as hell and awesome but you literally have fuck all comfort or fee like you're going to get syphilis any minute, would rather buy a Defender and at least have some style/class

all the 80 series and Patrols under 10k were for sale by 3 toothed yobo's or single mums who blew them up and wanted over 10k for a GU patrol with a blown engine, then there was one GU I had a look at and it would not started, asked for some water, poured it over the pump waited 2min she started right up, bitch din't want to sell it after that, my guess is she will carry a 5L water bottle around all the time, both 80/100 series and GU's have had the rear filled with stupid cages and fridges and shit that it's unusable unless you're camping 100% of the time, wtf with the 3-4" lift as well they are all jacked up and creak, the 2.8L Patrol is an understatement to biped power, literally. The Toyota petrol engine can barely move the car at high way speeds up a slight incline without feeling guilty at the amount of fuel used

even had a look at some Surf's with the 3.0 and i could just not fit in them comfortably also 50% had overheating issues the rest were apparent fixed with a new head so in the end rather than unfuck someone else's problem I got the cleanest P38 under 5k, lucky it had the air suspension taken out properly and looks to be serviced properly.

I had a look at a TD5 disco but again you pay so much more for the diesel to the point where i would have to own the car for 10 years to make it even and suffer 10 years of driving slug. Test drove a chipped TD5 and yeah it was a little better but my guess is that it would not last at that power level. Test drove an ES with the 4L V8, well test drove a few and one had a massive fire that they tried to clean up and one was from a FIFO family or some shit, sheila was selling it on behalf of husband, she took the plates off as it's ready for sale, got there touched the engine was hot was like what happened? "oh i took it around the block for a bit" told her ok i'm going to come back tomorrow when the engine is stone cold, it had a new radiator. Next day same shit, told her you either do not start the car or I'm not coming back! went there without calling at 8PM, engine was cold, started it up sounded a bit dud then yeah dropped sleeve, walked away, she offers 1k, still walked away

So now I had a better look at this P38 and it seems I need to replace a ball joint, lower one passenger side, the booth is split so that's a bummer! my guess is that I either pay someone to do it or find a fucking big ball joint tool!

The relay for the AC blower motor was bit charred so I need to find one similar to this, I think these are normally open? and replace it and probably find the cause, shit don't just char up for no reason, my guess is a bad earth somewhere

Last edited by XFJET; 12-06-18 at 10:12 AM.

Opens
    I'd working on figuring out what is drawing so much current.

screw the av's
    Similar scenario but didn't have the money or need for a new 4x4 so ended up with a 120 series Prado.

Quote Originally Posted by tez View Post
    Similar scenario but didn't have the money or need for a new 4x4 so ended up with a 120 series Prado.
    Same here. I want to be able to make it home, so bought a Toyota rather than a Rangie

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Same here. I want to be able to make it home, so bought a Toyota rather than a Rangie
    Yeah but you have to park the Toyota at the bottom of the steep hills with all the other soccer mum trucks.

Best thing about Toyotas is not that they are super reliable (they aren't: 4 of the 4 broken trucks last weekend were Toyotas) but because they are so common, the mechanics know how to actually work on them.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

cunt
    the only people I know that have reliable 4x4s and would take them anytime out across the country at a moment's notice are unfortunately not toyota's, 2 patrols and 1 Defender, all 3 cost well over 60k each yet you'd barely be able to sell them for 20k if lucky

asked for a quote today to replace a ball joint because it has a tiny split booth and I know it will fuck up in no time plus might not get roadworthy so ABS wanted $1200, admittedly I called and pretended I know nothing about cars, was told $1200 at minimum might be a few hundred more if they need to take the hub off, called Landrover and acted dumb, $600, thought fuck it with $100 in parts I can do it myself so ordered both upper and lower ball joints and a C press tool for under $150 delivered, might as well get a 6 pack of Modus and order more shit I can do while under it but can't figure out what else to do as it looks pretty clean, poked with a lever and everything is tight! what else can I do while I'm under there that's obvious with P38's ?

cunt
    Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    I'd working on figuring out what is drawing so much current.
    yeah will do, haven't gotten a replacement yet until I figure out why it was scorched ... my initial thoughts is a bad earth somewhere, will trace it back and have a look

what else can I do while I'm under there that's obvious with P38's ?
    Check if the transfer case and both diffs have something that looks like oil in them.
    Put masking tape over the chassis rust holes and spray with black paint?
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Surely if it's not leaking, it's empty?

cunt
    it has fluids, checked that before driving from Melb

it does have some leaks thou, nothing on the ground in 3 days which is impressive but it's wet on the sump, zero rust so no need for masking tape

I have three Rangies. two older than P38 and one newer. I have never lusted for a P38, even though they are magnificent when they work properly.
    I applaud your bravery.

cunt
    so update time!

replaced the ball joints, they were perfect apart from the rubbers being perished so meh. Also replaced the track and drag link while I was under it with Lemforder or whatever it's called, dind't have to do a wheel alignment as they were identical to the ones I pulled out. Felt a bit funny so decided to do one, fucking hell now the steering wheel is a few degrees off and apparently they didn't do anything as the alignment was good.....fuckers! now I have to go back and get this thing straight again.

replaced the relay switch and the ac/blowers/hvac works ok but might need to adjust the blend motors, they work but might be out of sync so I guess I need to find someone with a nanocom or whatever crap the tool is called or buy one myself. Ordered waterproof housing for relays so will wire the blower motors out of the relay box, they do draw quite a bit! at full pelt something like 26A

replaced engine oil and filter again just for my sanity, came out pretty damn clean so I'm happy with that, replaced breather hoses because originals were perished and felt like chewing gum

engine had a bit of a misfire when cold, cleaned MAF and got better but when cold for the first few min would backfire slightly so I thought fuck it let me pull the plugs and do a comp test, comp test came even within 4psi, very healthy, plugs were fucked, not only the wrong plugs as these things are picky but they were essentially worn, all plugs were the same brown color just used, got some NGK PFR5G-11 and no more missing nor backfire when cold, hell it runs extremely well, driving around for a bit mixed highway and traffic got 15.3L/100km which i'm happy with, previously was 18L/100km. Discovered one of the leads was different than the Lucas ones and one of the Lucas ones is pretty fucked up, shielding is coming appart so ordered a few bits from UK, new leads, new wiper blades for the headlights and ABS Accumulator as the current one is probably not in the best shape, it takes about 30sec for the pump to do it's thing every morning which is probably normal but I know these things fail every 3-4 years so decided to buy one anyway

Had a better look under to sort out the range rover leaks, well the front steering damper is fucked and was leaking, when I did the track rod gave it a test and its doing fuck all so ordering a new one that was the main culprit of oil i think, gave it a good degrease and the only other place I can see a little wetness is from the oil cooler lines so I guess after 20something years it's time to change them.

Apart from all that the thing is pretty damn good! Starting to like this thing more and more. So far it almost paid for itself in carting shit around, many trips to bunnings and other crap, once you flip those rear seats up the space is insane! had to get some tiles so told the guy if he is good with a forklift to just drop the pallet in the rear cargo area, he was a bit puzzled, comes out with the forklift and says "well that won't go in there" I'm like "try it" the whole pallet fit straight in with about 2cm on each side to spare, about 800kg or so of tiles, didn't even feel it. So yeah the damn thing is versatile.

Also decided to give the seats a drink with some VitaminE and I think I need to repeat the process soon, the seats are in outstanding condition so I'm going to make sure I look after them. Will take photos soon.

Things to do:

* find diagram to move blower relays out of the fuse box
    * replace spark plug leads
    * replace ABS accumulator
    * replace steering damper

Things that I might do just in case shit happens:
    * replace all water hoses and thermostat (they would be quite old now)
    * replace dampers (again look to be original, not very wallowy but meh)
    * maybe open the transfer box and look at the chain, my guess is that in 330k it would be in need of replacement?

Don't know what other maintenance it should have ... I guess when I change the ABS accumulator I should flush all the fluid out ... it apparently takes like 4L of it and when I do the cooling hoses do the coolant.

oh the spare remote starts the car without the main remote anywhere near the car but will not lock/unlock the doors so might need to do something there? no idea! do the remote's know who's driving so the seats get moved back to the pre-set memory location on these things? I probably should pull out the manual and look....

And it goes up hills covered in grass with no problems, might take it out to glasshouse mountains once i'm done with the renovations but that won't be anytime soon.... come to think this thing has a victorian plug on the trailer thing ... not many have the big to big cable connector but there is provision for another connector so there is possibility to have 2 plugs at the back?

cunt
    Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    Exactly the same thing that sucked me in with the Discovery

I think the biggest issue with these was the airbag suspension which you no longer have and the 4.6 dropped cylinder liners - they are the big one. Other than that i think its all bullshit electrical stuff thats pretty well documented.

Will be following this and seeing how you go
    so did some research onto the dropped cylinder sleves and i think it's when they overheat and probably because the tooling got old or both, early ones like 95/96 don't suffer as much as the 99 and up. They are a cracking car thou, did a loop around the south east in Brisbane, down to warwick and back the other way and the comfort is amazing, also has all the little things that makes life a little easier

Naughtius Maximus JayTHEFordman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    I have three Rangies. two older than P38 and one newer. I have never lusted for a P38, even though they are magnificent when they work properly.
    I applaud your bravery.
    I've eyed off P38s given their cheapness and knowing they do well offroad after you throw in coil springs, they seem alright. Newer ones probably better, but I guess careful shopping would be the go
    Envy is Ignorance, Imitation is Suicide - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted by Stang:
    particularly when your body is functioning like a 1970s Alfa made by drunken chimpanzees on a Friday afternoon

Nice Rangie, remind me of the 90s Hip Hop clips hehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

cunt
    took it to Moreton for 3 days, didn't put a foot wrong, never got fully stuck, twice it got semi bogged when I had to pull to the side to let other people go when they come from the other side but the traction control did it's thing then reversed and drove back out

very comfortable thing, averaged 17.8L/100km on the island and back which isn't too bad, tyres were at 22psi (18" wheels) and I guess at 20psi would of been much better and would of not almost got bogged, but never hand to get out of the car and do anything just drove over everything, used Low in really tricky soft sand bits then it was all high gear fun

took it to Moreton for 3 days, didn't put a foot wrong, never got fully stuck, twice it got semi bogged when I had to pull to the side to let other people go when they come from the other side but the traction control did it's thing then reversed and drove back out

very comfortable thing, averaged 17.8L/100km on the island and back which isn't too bad, tyres were at 22psi (18" wheels) and I guess at 20psi would of been much better and would of not almost got bogged, but never hand to get out of the car and do anything just drove over everything, used Low in really tricky soft sand bits then it was all high gear fun
    That is win!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .