Thread: whats the hotness in high flowing ??

whats the hotness in high flowing ??

have a tiny little oem BW K04/EFR that does nearly 400hp on a 2L at 1.6bar boost, but its at its limit

it makes incredible low end, but it could do with a little more flow up the top, and a little less off idle. i don't want to make the motor something it isn't, just give it a little nudge, and make it work a little better up the top.

i can get a spare oem turbo NOS for $300, and am considering getting one to have a new compressor wheel done, and port the internal waste gate etc.

who are the go-to guys these days?
    Last edited by doctor ed; 26-07-18 at 09:12 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duckworth View Post
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Procharge down here in melbourne are huge, they do their own billet wheels, big cnc setup as well. I use nick at raceequipped as he is my side of town
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

what ballpark $$$ are we talking?
    Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

note to self so i dont have to always find this pic

Last edited by doctor ed; 26-07-18 at 08:07 PM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

$800-1000 for billet wheel and housing machined if need be or flapper mod. More if bearings or oil seals are fucked

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

cool, ive sent both an email with Turbo specs and pics, and expectations.

Turbo is brand new OEM NOS

see what they can come up with, thanks for the tip
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Hypergear has pricing lists on their website if you want something to compare against
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

thanks
    Mit freundlichen Gre

That looks fucking tight in the turbine a/r would be spending some time in matchbot if you can find the specs on the OEM turbo, make sure you don't end up with a surging choked POS
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    ... make sure you don't end up with a surging choked POS
    Yeah, is it worth looking at exhaust pressures before considering a larger comp wheel?
    If the exhaust side is choking it, a larger comp wheel surely won't help much.

bigger wastegate?

the turbine, although small, dumps into a 3 1/2" dump pipe std (farking huge!). i wouldve thought if the turbine is choking it, then just port around it with a bigger wastegate and let the compressor continue to wind up.

tbh though, im hardly a turbo professional, and was kindve hoping i could go somewhere with experience, and say 'hey ive got XYZ turbo what can you do with it' and theyd have all the answers and just do it
    Last edited by doctor ed; 30-07-18 at 09:38 AM.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Quote Originally Posted by doctor ed View Post
    bigger wastegate?

the turbine, although small, dumps into a 3 1/2" dump pipe std (farking huge!). i wouldve thought if the turbine is choking it, then just port around it with a bigger wastegate and let the compressor continue to wind up.

tbh though, im hardly a turbo professional, and was kindve hoping i could go somewhere with experience, and say 'hey ive got XYZ turbo what can you do with it' and theyd have all the answers and just do it
    turbine needs to be able to flow enough to extract the required energy and turn it into shaft horsepower to then spin your bigger compressor wheel, if you just wastegate the gasses it will never spool or surge like fuck

Borg warner have a really good turbo size calculator called match bot that is worth throwing numbers into...

First I'd suggest run the stock turbo log your exhaust back pressure, boost and fit a shaft speed sensor then look at compressor (and turbine if needed) options rather than let some "turbo guy" guess, you can get away with that with larger displacement street cars but for something seeing track time it's worth the effort to match something up right.

If there are no options for the OEM housing you could look at getting it extrude honed and a different turbine wheel fitted if you really want the OEM look
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

hat a chat with proflow... they're familiar with the unit, and can do a new compressor wheel for it, along with some modification to the turbine wheel, and doing something to the thrust bearing.

we're currently seeing 2.1bar at 4500 falling to 1.6 by 6500. they don't think that 2.1bar to redline is realistic (in particular 2 bar on the core is probably a bad thing long term) they reckon they can get it early up to 2.0 and it'll hold 1.8-1.9 to the end.

$700, 2 week turn around.
    Mit freundlichen Gre

and the follow through...

be a while 'till i see what it actually does, but it does look good!
    Mit freundlichen Gre

That looks like a sizable upgrade!