Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: reliable family wagon #11ty million + 1 budget 7-10K

That is where I picked up my 2005 X-Trail ($2200) and 2009 Outback ($3,600) and saved a fortune and got great cars too.
    The bloke doing the X-Trail's Blue slip offered me $5,000 cash for my X-Trail when I came back to collect it.

Oh ok, better have a look then, good tip we were quite dissapointed when we did the online pickles auction - cheers

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    I would have said that it wasn't ... but I've read all your reservations about VAG product in this thread, and although I don't know anyone "in person" with a VW who's had DSG problems (apart from the guy who ditched his diesel Mk5 Golf at 250k kms due to being worried about the 'box starting to feel odd) I'm a little surprised you're entertaining the idea ...
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

well maybe I'm a bit overcautious - they are not really my reservations rather from anecdotes via the internet and the person that I know that ACUTALLY has a VW Jetta with high milage thinks its an amazing trouble free car which has only needed a single repair since he's owned it (starter motor). The other guy is a golf owner that has had a similar experience.

I'm come to that realisation that any used car is a potential time bomb and all modern cars are complex and shit can fail. So going to evaluate them on their individual merits so looking more mileage, service history, condition and trying to eliminate those things that are super prone to failure.

IMHO, a VE2 Commode option is a safer bet & maybe more comfy, but the Octavia option is more interesting & more fuel-frugal & the name means it's 8 times as good which can only be a good thing.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

We were heavily scarred by having to get rid of our C5 wagon for beer money, which we loved due to alternator then gearbox failure so I'm understandably cautious when it comes to euro stuff. That may have just been a a bad example and we just didn't do enough due diligence (no ODB scanner).

Anyway trying to tee up a 2009 VE, Berlina wagon with around 130,000 k's in the next day or so..

I wasn't aware that that Skodas were so much better than anything else..8x even :-)
    Last edited by jgryder; 07-08-18 at 11:05 AM.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Skoda...yeah, nah. We have cycling tragic friends who own two Skodas because, I'm sure, of Skoda's heavy sponsorship of cycling. Every time they go away on holidays, they have car trouble. Most recent episode was a faulty starter which led to them having to drive from Port Macquarie to Canberra without ever switching off or they wouldn't be able to restart.

(Come to think of it, the only other Skoda owner I know is another cycling tragic. Marketing works.)

When I worked in insurance and did the pricing structure for the Extended New Car Warranty (Not the limited coverage Used Car shit, but Extended Manufacturers warranty) I was given the Manufacturers Warranty numbers and costs for all of the new veedubs. Suffice to say, some of them (diesels mainly, and many of the DSGs) were up around 700% - in comparison average Fords and Holdens sat around 60-70% with the worst Fords / Holden models (Think Mondeo Autos and Holden Captivas) coming in at about 130%.. VAG were just a whole new level.... and we had to make an extra category for them due to their much higher warranty claim rate...

interesting - commonsense and previous experience will more than likely see us in a commode wagon or grand carnival/aeras thing and replacing our aging '98 camry with another toyota - probably aurion.

Iíve got a ve2 omega wagon as my daily. Got it with 90k and itís at 215k now and itís never given me any grief. Itís not an exciting car by any means, but Its a perfect and reliable daily.

thats all we are after

Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    That is where I picked up my 2005 X-Trail ($2200) and 2009 Outback ($3,600) and saved a fortune and got great cars too.
    The bloke doing the X-Trail's Blue slip offered me $5,000 cash for my X-Trail when I came back to collect it.
    We went to the QLD site today and it was great, I had been to moorebank options and it was defo for people in the trade - this was piss easy got to check out a bunch of cars all in one place instead of driving all around Brissie and the Sunshine coast - nopics has decided Kluger or Grand Carnival.

Quote Originally Posted by jgryder View Post
    We need to get something in the next few weeks but to muddy the waters a bit - there seem to mondeo wagons in the price range, anyone have experience with these?
    We had a 2010 2.3 petrol this is pre dual clutch. Honestly couldn't fault it. Bought it with about 10k on the clock in early 2011, sold it earlier this year with about 183k.

Issues we had.
    Parking sensor failed $30 on ebay. Diagnosed with a cheap OBD scanner I had and Forscan app.
    Top engine mount, about $150-$200 with labour through local mechanic.
    Fuel pump failed, this was a bit more expensive about $500 with labour through local mechanic.

Otherwise it was just the usual, couple batteries, tyres, and brakes.

Another new/newish Mondeo (non-DCT) was high on the list to replace the outgoing one. I liked the idea of TDCI but the dealer service reps recommended against it unless doing enough k's to justify the higher service costs and they generally are more reliable when driven decent distances like all modern diesels.

Edit to add the Mondeo Hatch actually has a huge boot so don't lock yourself into only looking at a Wagon.
    Last edited by Luke352; 08-08-18 at 02:39 PM.

I think Southo laid it out pretty well in that these seem to be a touch more expensive than commodore, camry etc.

We are kind of at the mercy of whatever comes on offer in the brisbane area and we would look at a good one if it came up - thanks for that.

Mazda 6 Wagon.

Get a GH Series 2 onwards (>2010) in the Touring variant, comes with leather, bluetooth etc.

Wife has had two now. They look decent compared to other options in the price bracket, gave no trouble even when they went past 200,000km, go ok for a 2.5L 4 and only drink 91 RON.

think they are way outside the price range - looking at Grand carnivals tomorrow hopefully buying it to end the madness

thanks but no thanks..

Various scratches and dents advise inspection , Engine & Mechanical: Engine management light on

We bid on a few cars that we inspected over the past couple of auctions and as far as I can determine its a crock and people are fuckwits that bid more than the car can be purchased at a used car dealer?
    Saw a GC that went cheap but we chickedn out as it had a largish dent on the front quarter and CEL so it was a risk but it only went for a $1000 so we were spewing.

But the other cars just went up and up and up and they weren't that great in relation to what can be bough on gumtree et al.

Volvo's are they in a deferent reliability spectrum to the usual euro suspects like vw, bmw etc

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-...555km?spr=true

Yes IMHO; but certain mechanical specs do have problems, eg. I wouldn't but a 6cyl turbo one.
    I know nothing about the reliability of the diesels, I just know that if you're getting a petrol the 5cyl one is the petrol to get.

I see a lot of those xc90's at auction and I remember in a previous thread these xc60's and 90's were reccomended.

Sensei Cobra
    After what I've tipped into my, admittedly slightly older, 2006 Volvo S40 but with only 113k kms on it, in maintenance over the last few months, I'd be wary of it being a neglected vehicle requiring a lot of stuff to be done.

What I've learnt is service history <> maintenance history

thanks but no thanks..

Various scratches and dents advise inspection , Engine & Mechanical: Engine management light on

We bid on a few cars that we inspected over the past couple of auctions and as far as I can determine its a crock and people are fuckwits that bid more than the car can be purchased at a used car dealer?
    Saw a GC that went cheap but we chickedn out as it had a largish dent on the front quarter and CEL so it was a risk but it only went for a $1000 so we were spewing.

But the other cars just went up and up and up and they weren't that great in relation to what can be bough on gumtree et al.
    Both of my X-Trail and Outback had the CEL on in the ad. The X-Trail was in VIC so sent the BIL along with a $15 OBDII connector and the app on his phone and he called me to say it was the Cam angle sensor (Common issue with the QR25DE engine. He said it started and ran fine, so it must be an intermittant fault with the sensor. I bid and won.
    I flew down with a Cam and Crank angle sensor ($65 for both) and a few spanners (in case it needed replacing) and a cheap OBDII scanner to reset the code, and drove it home. I drove it all the way home to Sydney with no probs and still have the two unused sensors. (and used 8.1l/100km for the trip... I was impressed)

The Outback had the CEL and DPF light on - Common issue again - But it was Sydney based so I took a mates Snap-on Scanner and diagnosed the faults and still bid and won.
    when I went to collect it, I drove it out to the car park, did a Forced DPF Burn in the car park, then 20 mins later cleared the codes and drove it onto the towtruck who took it straight to get the blue slip.

CELs are a good thing at auction... it scares the idiots away who pay retail.....

As it turns out we found a decent enough 2008 Grand Carnival with around 130,00K's for $6400 with rego etc so we'll prob put a deposit on that as it did have current logbooks, RWC and no hassle. we just need a new reliable car for a big road trip that is coming up in about 6 weeks.

I think for the 98 camry replacement though will definitely be monitoring the auction space for something suitable.

Graysonline had a big sign saying no scanning or tools of any kind in fact on the premises although there is noone around policing such a policy so I'd use one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bahaimus View Post
    After what I've tipped into my, admittedly slightly older, 2006 Volvo S40 but with only 113k kms on it, in maintenance over the last few months, I'd be wary of it being a neglected vehicle requiring a lot of stuff to be done.

What I've learnt is service history <> maintenance history
    yeah I get it but within the limited constraints imposed by the auction houses(and this is where we noticed them) you have to rely on what you have.

......Graysonline had a big sign saying no scanning or tools of any kind in fact on the premises although there is noone around policing such a policy so I'd use one anyway.
    Yeah, There are huge signs on the side of the roads saying the maximum speed limits too... lol

They have never checked my bag or even questioned me when I had the scan tool connected and sitting on the passenger seat when I asked them to bring the Battery jump pack to start a Golf I was looking at for a friend...

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    What motor is in the Grand Carnival?
    There was 1 model that ate motors like nothing else wasnt there? V6 petrol use around 18 liters per 100 also.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

carnival = 2.7 which was guaranteed to blow up multiple times with head gasket problems - the 3.8 is the good engine 180 killerwasps.

I think most people getting 15's in the city (we live on bribe island where there is no traffic will take them in the smaller car)Highway its 10's.

Not sure how that compares to something like an elgrand though but since nopics decided she wanted an SUV then that was probably the figure we were looking at for whatever vehicle..guess there is always the option to go injected LPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    Yeah, There are huge signs on the side of the roads saying the maximum speed limits too... lol

They have never checked my bag or even questioned me when I had the scan tool connected and sitting on the passenger seat when I asked them to bring the Battery jump pack to start a Golf I was looking at for a friend...
    fair enough, I just noticed the sign but didn't think anyone would care at all - considering a lot of the client base, they prob dont want people ripping stuff off trying to get to ports etc.