Thread: High Beam Switching on 2001 Toyota Corolla

Registered User innocent bystander's Avatar

High Beam Switching on 2001 Toyota Corolla

I bought a bunky for commuting to work, but as I start at 5 AM and do 12 hour days most of my commute is in the dark and it is along small country kangaroo infested roads. So I decided to add a light bar to help.

I have never fitted a light bar or driving lights before, but as lectrical stuff is my strong suit I thought it couldn't be too hard. The wiring looked unmolested so I thought it would be quick and easy.

So I bought a cheapish light bar from Supercheap and a pre-made wiring harness from Ebay, as the wiring harness was cheaper than buying the wire, relay, fuse and fuse holder separately.

I put the lights on high beam and checked the back of the high beam bulb to find which ones were +12V and 0V. Installed everything and wired the coil of the relay to common earth/chassis and what was the +12V side of the high beam bulbs when they were on.

But the light bar stayed on when the lights were on both high and low and only turned off when the lights were turned off.

A bit more checking showed that when the lights were off, there was 0V on both terminals on the high beam relative to chassis. When the lights were on low beam there was +12V on both terminals of high beam (effectively giving 0v to high beam bulbs) and on high beam one of the terminals switched from +12V to common earth/chassis.

I had to cut the common earth wire on the premade loom and wire the relay coil directly to the two wires for high beam to get the light bar to switch with the high beam.

So the question is this, is it normal to have 12V on both sides of high beam when lights are on low or has a previous owner fucked around with the wiring?

Toyota is negatively switched , probably easiest if you google negative switching driving lights wiring diagrams.

Registered User innocent bystander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumodog View Post
    Toyota is negatively switched , probably easiest if you google negative switching driving lights wiring diagrams.
    Cheers, so it's normal for Toyotas.

Iirc Narva and Supercheap premade harness works on Toyotas.