Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTBL Bris.. Old PC

WTB Bris.. Old PC

I'm looking for an old PC to set up as a spare/backup for one that I currently use.
    It needs to be from around the Pentium I or II era, will probably be 500Mhz or so to run 98 or XP.
    Must have at least 2 ISA slots. (the old long black card slot).

Does anyone have one they retired 10 years ago they are willing to part with?

Ta.
    Last edited by uuheels; 29-08-18 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uuheels View Post
    I'm looking for an old PC to set up as a spare/backup for one that I currently use.
    It needs to be from around the Pentium I or II era, will probably be 500Mhz or so to run 98 or XP.
    Must have at least 1 ISA slot (the old long black card slot).

Does anyone have one they retired 10 years ago they are willing to part with?

Ta.
    I reckon so.
    I'll check tonight.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Excellent, thank you.
    I had two or three, but they were binned when I last moved house 3 yrs ago..

Opens
    what goes in the ISA slot?

I have 3-4 old pc's I'm about to bin. Pretty sure one will have an ISA thingy if you're stuck. On the GC though.
    I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    what goes in the ISA slot?
    An oddball old I/O card.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyblue View Post
    I have 3-4 old pc's I'm about to bin. Pretty sure one will have an ISA thingy if you're stuck. On the GC though.
    Thanks, I'll see how Gamma goes. I get down to the GC often enough if you are able to hold them for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    I reckon so.
    I'll check tonight.
    Any luck?

Ah fuck, forgot! Will look tonight.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I just checked and I have a few with that slot. One even still has an old modem card in it.
    I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

does the card have drivers for XP? there are a couple of industrial motherboards for Core 2 Duo's that still had ISA slots if you wanted to go to a new machine

i have a mint ibm aptiva at home, i am not sure what the specs are but it came with windows 95. I have all the disc and and that shit with it.

let me go home and check, i remember I couldn't open the case from the back (was stuck or something?)

what are you using such an old machine for?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedyblue View Post
    I just checked and I have a few with that slot. One even still has an old modem card in it.
    Thanks for looking. Are you able to hang onto them for a couple of weeks until I next head down that way?
    Between these and what Gamma might have, I should be able to get something running

Quote Originally Posted by Stix Zadinia View Post
    does the card have drivers for XP? there are a couple of industrial motherboards for Core 2 Duo's that still had ISA slots if you wanted to go to a new machine
    It doesn't need to be a powerhouse by any means as the main application runs in dos, but I was hoping to dual boot in with winxp also, to give the ability to r/w files from a USB stick and better printing options.

Quote Originally Posted by im_boostn View Post
    i have a mint ibm aptiva at home, i am not sure what the specs are but it came with windows 95. I have all the disc and and that shit with it.

let me go home and check, i remember I couldn't open the case from the back (was stuck or something?)

what are you using such an old machine for?
    Thanks, but if you're in Melb it's probably not economical to send it.
    It controls an outdated machine via I/O cards in the ISA slots and runs dos, so it needs to be an old shitter. It's all working fine now, but I'd like to assemble a working backup (or two!) now, rather than in 5 years when the bits may be harder to get.

I've probably got something on Brisbane northside in the garage if the others don't come through. Depends if I chucked them when I moved a few years ago.

Surely there's some stuff on ebay for fuck all too?

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    I've probably got something on Brisbane northside in the garage if the others don't come through. Depends if I chucked them when I moved a few years ago.

Surely there's some stuff on ebay for fuck all too?
    There's actually very little stuff on eBay, probably because they are worth nothing...

I only wanted the case, i was going to gut the thing and install a full water loop rig and have a retro tower for looks.

Fail on my side, I think the thing is too modern!

Bummer...
    Thanks for looking.

I may still have my old PC from around 10 years ago.

I get to Brisbane on the 22nd if you haven't found anything suitable by then and can drop it off to you.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Turns out the computers Speedyblue has only have PCI slots.
    If you look at google images for 'ISA slot', one of the first pics shows a motherboard with the PCI and ISA slots incorrectly labeled, hence the confusion

So I'm still on the hunt.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Would you mind having a look please??

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    I may still have my old PC from around 10 years ago.

I get to Brisbane on the 22nd if you haven't found anything suitable by then and can drop it off to you.
    I think it would have to be a fair bit more than 10 years old, but I'd appreciate it if you could check.

For those who don't remember or weren't born yet, ISA slots are the long black ones circled in red here:

THANKS

In China this week but back on the weekend. Will have a look then. Yep I know what an ISA slot is.

Legend. Thanks.

These things are actually getting to be worth a bit of coin for old hardware now, believe it or not. People wanting to play old dos games in native res so they don't look so bad.

I've got an aopen AX6b which has a PII on it at the moment but im pretty sure I have a p3 450 hiding somewhere too if you want it. In the gold coast hinterland, but I could probably post it out if you dont want to drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Thanks! Looks like the AX6b has a couple of ISA slots so it would be ideal.
    PM incoming.

I've also got some old junk hardware I can check out. I've just moved to Ormeau which is an easy drive down the M1

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Thank you.
    And thanks for not throwing it out when you moved

Heh, I should've but I have a stupid attachment to the old shit

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

This sort of thing is readily available.
    https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328924...ts-1-IDE-1-COM

Wow, thanks... I didn't know that.
    I'd still rather get a complete box, rather than have to source a case, ps, old style RAM and processor etc etc..
    Good to know it's an option though..

I'm struggling with this old junk again.
    The computer in question randomly refuses to start up. Usually a few attempts and it goes.
    Today I couldn't get it to boot at all.
    It spins the HDD but doesn't display anything, not even the BIOS stuff at the beginning of the start sequence.
    When I press the power button, the power led blinks, the keyboard lights blink once, the HDD whizzes a bit and that's it.

Today I swapped all my spares through this thing including 2xPCI vid cards, 1x AGP card, RAM sticks, power supply, CMOS batteries, cloned IDE HDD's, monitors and finally the motherboard that Madhatr gave me with no success.

Finding replacement PCs from 1999 era hasn't been easy so I'm considering something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Embe...AbTest=ae803_5

I think the Chinglish is saying it has onboard video, RAM and processor and most importantly, 2xISA slots?

Any reason this won't run a pure DOS application in a DOS environment properly? (ie not under windows or dosbox etc)
    I understand x86 means it *should* be backward compatible but I can't help thinking it would have a hiccup somehow..

Any old computer gurus wish to comment?
    Anyone still got their win98 computer they retired in 2001?

Ta.

If you did a grandpa's axe rebuild then you must be doing something wrong (or your spares are fucked too)?