Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTBL Bris.. Old PC

Dunno. I'm pretty handy with old computers but I'm not winning in this instance..
    I'll have some time tomorrow to revisit and have another crack.

I know it's pretty easy to have issues with incorrect jumper positions etc, but all this junk should be ok in that regard as it used to work as is..

Quote Originally Posted by uuheels View Post
    I'm struggling with this old junk again.
    The computer in question randomly refuses to start up. Usually a few attempts and it goes.
    Today I couldn't get it to boot at all.
    It spins the HDD but doesn't display anything, not even the BIOS stuff at the beginning of the start sequence.
    When I press the power button, the power led blinks, the keyboard lights blink once, the HDD whizzes a bit and that's it.

Today I swapped all my spares through this thing including 2xPCI vid cards, 1x AGP card, RAM sticks, power supply, CMOS batteries, cloned IDE HDD's, monitors and finally the motherboard that Madhatr gave me with no success.

Finding replacement PCs from 1999 era hasn't been easy so I'm considering something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Embe...AbTest=ae803_5

I think the Chinglish is saying it has onboard video, RAM and processor and most importantly, 2xISA slots?

Any reason this won't run a pure DOS application in a DOS environment properly? (ie not under windows or dosbox etc)
    I understand x86 means it *should* be backward compatible but I can't help thinking it would have a hiccup somehow..

Any old computer gurus wish to comment?
    Anyone still got their win98 computer they retired in 2001?

Ta.

A little late to the party, I garb one of these like 6 weeks ago. As you have I went to turn the old pc on and nothing. Like you I need the two isa slots for the dyno. Well I have not had any problems, mileage may vary. Just use the himemx from freedos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motherboard.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	111352

This Post Brought To You By Brawndo The Thirst Mutilator

I might have a spare board / cpu from our old dyno pc
    No Power chips thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Masier View Post
    A little late to the party, I garb one of these like 6 weeks ago. As you have I went to turn the old pc on and nothing. Like you I need the two isa slots for the dyno. Well I have not had any problems, mileage may vary. Just use the himemx from freedos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motherboard.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	111352
    Excellent thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know. This is for my old Dyno Dynamics machine too.
    I've think I've managed to get mine running again with a spare (2000 era) motherboard, but I want to put a complete spare together so I will look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by (pennywise) View Post
    I might have a spare board / cpu from our old dyno pc
    If you have any bits from an old DOS based Dyno Dynamics setup, I'd be very interested

If you have any bits from an old DOS based Dyno Dynamics setup, I'd be very interested
    Same here I am chasing a new version of the software.

I have v6.130r
    The final dos version was 6.132r so mine is almost the the final version.
    I can help you update if you want..

I have v6.130r
    The final dos version was 6.132r so mine is almost the the final version.
    I can help you update if you want..
    If you wouldn't mind, I have version 2.7 from memory

Quote Originally Posted by Masier View Post
    If you wouldn't mind, I have version 2.7 from memory

Yeah no problem. Mine came with v2.662!
    Are you still using an IDE HDD with that Chinese motherboard? If so, do you have a spare?

I set mine up to dual boot with WinXP. It makes file manipulation and backups much easier.
    You can then also print from XP using a more modern printer if you don't have the special parallel to USB printer adaptor for an ancient HP printer needed to print directly from the DD software.
    Where are you?

Yeah no problem. Mine came with v2.662!
    Are you still using an IDE HDD with that Chinese motherboard? If so, do you have a spare?

I set mine up to dual boot with WinXP. It makes file manipulation and backups much easier.
    You can then also print from XP using a more modern printer if you don't have the special parallel to USB printer adaptor for an ancient HP printer needed to print directly from the DD software.
    Where are you?
    Haven't found a good, old hdd in years. I started using these "40pin PATA IDE DOM Disk female Disk On Module Vertical Socket 2-Channel 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 64GB MLC For CNC Industrial equipment" and it has saved a lot of heartache.

As for win xp I am far more simple than that. I use freedos and set one of the usb ports up for my usb stick in the bios. Xcopy everything to that turn the machine off unplug it and plug it in to the other machine to print. Was toying with qemu-kvm on a linux distro and passing the isa cards to a dos VM. I came to my sensors before hand, and the above works for me.

I am around 10hours north of Perth.

PM sent.

bad video card or ram will just hang the system without bios displaying.

Anything that era with ISA slots has a legacy bios and is 100% fine to be running in a dos environment.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 25-04-19 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

I have some old stuff still lying about if it's useful...

IDE drives, maybe some old ddr, motherboards and cpu's unlikely but I might have. Basic sound pci / ide sound cards etc.
    PF Gamers List

Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx
    if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?

I managed to get yours running Madhatr.

I was trying it with the last possible combo of parts and it fired up. I literally dropped my jaw
    It's been 100% solid for the last 2 days.
    I still want to put a spare together though (which is what yours was supposed to be
    Thanks again. It got me out of the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonx View Post
    I have some old stuff still lying about if it's useful...

IDE drives, maybe some old ddr, motherboards and cpu's unlikely but I might have. Basic sound pci / ide sound cards etc.
    DDR is too new, it's SD100 and SD133 here
    I'd be interested if you had any motherboards with ISA slots or any really old AGP or PCI vid cards.
    Ta.
    Last edited by uuheels; 25-04-19 at 04:58 PM.

Oooh, ok the SD stuff I'm sure I won't have but a video card or two perhaps, I'll report back tomorrow as I found some random bits in garage parts boxes as well.
    PF Gamers List

if a motor has big enough injectors to run say, 7psi but only just starts to max out right on rev limit, will it run more boost lower in the revs without maxing out if you lower the rev limit?

Shit, just remembered I might still have a box of that era gear at the old lady's place. Unsure if I told her to throw it out 2 years ago
    PF Gamers List

Sorry I hadn't replied sooner. I don't think I have any SD-era mb's but will keep an eye out. Talking to a colleague here at work and he's big on virtualisation etc. and asked if you had the right support would it be possible to run your dyno app etc. within the VM and therefore you wouldn't be constrained to the old hardware any longer. Sure it might take some time to work through the bugs but... profit?!??

I'm sure this has been entertained before but figured I'd pass the idea on just in case.
    PF Gamers List

Thanks for checking
    The problem here is the need to use the i/o input cards which need 2 ISA slots on the motherboard.
    These disappeared in about 2001. Running a VM on a modern PC doesn't help because there's nowhere to plug in the ISA cards..

I'm up and running now, but I've had to use my spare motherboard so I'm looking for a spare to keep for the next failure.
    Last edited by uuheels; 01-06-19 at 08:05 AM.