Thread: Gas supply recommendation

Gas supply recommendation

I was spouting the benefits of using Bunnings gas in another thread, but I've gone through three D sized bottles of Bunnings argon in the last 3 months. I've got plenty of TIG projects coming up, so I'm thinking about getting a bigger gas bottle. Bunnings only deals in the D sized bottles, $99 per refill, a D is 1.7 cu. m according to this chart:

http://www.rentfreegas.com.au/produc...-gas-cylinder/

The same outfit will sell me a full G bottle for $599, with refills for $199. This equates to $22 per cu. m, vs $58 per cu. m for a Bunnings D.

The other thing that's getting annoying is that the two closest Bunnings don't carry gas, it's about a 20 - 25 minute drive to the nearest one that does, whereas the mob in the link deliver for free.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for a gas supplier?

Opens
    It's not buying a bottle, but Elgas out at Blacktown might be worth a call - if you're going to be using a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by gxxr View Post
    It's not buying a bottle, but Elgas out at Blacktown might be worth a call - if you're going to be using a bit.
    Thanks, I've sent them a quote request.

I kind of steered clear from those no rent bottles since Iím worried about them stinging you with the price of a refill and not much can be done since youíve already outlaid the cost. At my old work we were paying $72 a g bottle of argon and that was through elgas

Thanks Ricardo, that looks like a very good deal, and thereís a BOC outlet close to me. I hope they do this same deal.

So I got onto the deal Ricardo recommended from BOC, $219 for a years rental of a full G2, slightly bigger than a G at 10 cubic M. So about 1/3 the price of Bunnings, but I also get a complimentary refill, so if I manage to get through two bottles in one year, itís about 1/6th the price of Bunnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    So I got onto the deal Ricardo recommended from BOC, $219 for a years rental of a full G2, slightly bigger than a G at 10 cubic M. So about 1/3 the price of Bunnings, but I also get a complimentary refill, so if I manage to get through two bottles in one year, itís about 1/6th the price of Bunnings.
    I might do this and buy a dual flow reg for some purge action. Currently with bunnings but a D or E is too small for Tig.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    I might do this and buy a dual flow reg for some purge action. Currently with bunnings but a D or E is too small for Tig.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Dont get too carried away with that, I got talked into a dual valve setup for $50, I reckon you could make something post reg out of a T piece and a throttling mechanism such as a pair of vice grips for the purging line.

Iím about to get stuck into some stainless work, will report back on how the purging goes.

Suspended
    A guy from my work managed to buy a legit G sized argon bottle from a melbourne reseller for $300 plus gst. So look around!