Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty e30

Registered User Forg Convertible's Avatar

Cleaner now E30 M3

Yesterday, I forgot to take my belt off at Sacramento international airport, and after the body scan, I had this big burly security guard feel me up... And I stood there thinking.... The things you do in the pursuit of cars...

The afternoon before, I am checking out this car I had put a deposit on. I had flown down from Vancouver BC to Sacramento, and had just discovered the engine is seized. I was under the car going wtf am I doing.

The seller had just parked the car 5 year ago as it had an oil leak.

We both didn't know the engine was seized. #1 spark plug was rusty. So I punched a hole in a can of wd40, poured it down the spark plug hole and said let's go have a beer.

Over a beer, we decided to not make any decisions till the next morning. He helped me find a hotel, and we had dinner and few beers, and he came down from the agreed price due to the discovery.

The next morning, we tried to turn it over. As I clicked the key to start, it just went thunk like it did the day before. But he said he saw the crank pulley move just a millimetre. So as he flicked the key on the starter, I got on the alternator pulley and it moved.

So it unseized. I built up oil pressure, and eventually after some fiddling we got it running.

In the end I bought the car. The engine still needs rebuilding, the head gasket is blown, and the whole car needs alot of work.

But I'm stoked. This is the one. The seller, he has owned it since new in 1988. 230000 miles he drove it. Kept every part he swapped out. Still has the books, and the dealer window sticker. 30 years later...

No rust, no accidents, clean title Cali car it's whole life. Sun damaged in places, but no rot. I'm keeping this one.

My wife thinks I'm crazy.

Lachsilber 1988 M3.

Gotta get it towed up to Canada.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181114_104210.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	109220  
    Last edited by Forg Convertible; 27-06-19 at 02:03 PM.

Rad.

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Hell Yeah !! That's the one.

Fantastic score
    " Racing cars don't have doors. Toilets have doors" : Keke Rosberg

Jexus. Fuck yesh

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Nice. Looks like it's got the whole mid/late 1990s classy Euro thing going on with the Hella taillights, Dinan plate frame and are they BBS CH wheels?

Oh and lol at the opening paragraph of the thread.
    Last edited by irsa76; 16-11-18 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Rad.

Sent from my VS Commodore eurovox headunit using Tapatalk
    This made me laugh

Nice one

Thanks guys this is a dream car for me. I had one in Australia for like 10 seconds after spending a year converting it to rhd and then the wife says we are moving to Canada. Had to sell it. Been looking ever since, while the prices were going mental. I can't afford 30-40-50k US for an m3, I've never spent that kind of coin on a car.

This one is entry level to the m3 crowd, and is a project that needs a good going through. At least I have a fresh motor. Then there's the windscreen, tires, suspension, interior.... By the end it will have cost me 40-50k us to bring back if you include my s14, but I will be paying my way in in stages. And then it still needs paint. Oh well... I'm not selling so doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Forg Convertible; 18-11-18 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Nice. Looks like it's got the whole mid/late 1990s classy Euro thing going on with the Hella taillights, Dinan plate frame and are they BBS CH wheels?

Oh and lol at the opening paragraph of the thread.
    Yeah it has bbs ch and startec taillights. Those tail lights are worth decent coin now. He has the original tail lights in good condition so I will prob swap them out and sell the startecs. But yeah I kinda like the 90s pre fast and furious look it has going.

This will be going in asap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_IMG-20181114-WA0009.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	109230

Pollitically incorrect
    fuck yeah. Nice one.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

California to Canada is going to cost a bomb??? May be cheaper to ship your engine down and then drive it back home????

Well I have a spare head.. I could fly down with that, replace the head and drive back... But I think towing will be better. Had one quote for $700 us to Seattle. That's not too bad.

Long time no post. What a mission to get this thing home to Canada. Note to self, never buy a USA car again without viewing the title up front.
    Took the seller almost 2 months to find title. For a bit, he had the car, my money, and the paperwork. I had nothing. Was a uncomfortable feeling.

Anyways, got the title and car in Jan.

I was just gonna pull the broken 2.3 s14 and fit my shiny new 2.5 s14, but I couldn't resist pulling the 2.3 apart to find out the damage. Found a severely burnt out exhaust valve in #2 cylinder, and corroded head leaking coolant into #1 cylinder. So I rebuilt the head, popped out cyl 1 piston, honed the bore, and fitted new rings and bearings to # 1 only.
    Head back on now and not far off getting the 2.3 running. Why I just didn't fit the new 2.5 I don't know...

Got it towed to Blaine Washington and it stayed there for a month in December while I waited for title. Cost $900USD for the tow.

Here's the burnt valve. Explains the zero comp on # 2.

I replaced all exhaust valves with supertech 32.5mm (up .5mm from stock) and new exhaust valve seats, all new guides. Spent well over 1k on head when I had a complete new motor sitting in my other e30... Still not sure why I just didn't swap engines lol.

This is the corrosion in #1. Engine was seized when I first saw the car. Actually got it freed up and ran the motor, compression was still 200psi. Leakdown was 60% on this cylinder compared to 10-15% on 3 and 4. I honed most of this out, and fitted new rings to #1 cylinder. Total backyard rebuild and would not ever recommend this to anyone. Guess I am happy to take a punt on my own stuff...

Head flat, not too much taken off, as these are NLA now.

Piston back in with new rings and new big end bearings.

Head on with euro 50/50 headers I bought from Germany. The USA headers are a fair bit smaller.

Cam carrier on, and bucket/shims going on. Tedious to adjust. Did a quick setup as I know I will need to do again at 1000kms after the head has settled.

This is where I am at.

Next is to fit new oil cooler, and crank over engine to build oil pressure and do a quick compression test. If I have not fucked up, continue reassembly and get the car running so I can get my garage back to work on other cars.

Will need out of province inspection (similar to blue slip) which means tires etc. Money pit!

Meanwhile at work I did 40 valve stem seals and 1 valve spring on an s85 v10 M5. That was fun

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Sex on wheels these things. Much nicer than japanese styling of the 80's 90's, which is still very nice!
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Sex on wheels these things. Much nicer than japanese styling of the 80's 90's, which is still very nice!
    Thanks. I love the look of these too. Wish they were quick out of the box though. Need dollars to get them quick, or swap a 6 into them, which is not an option for me.

You don't need speed when you look like this.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Progress. Engine finished and started up first go. No idea how that happened. New 16 inch tires on e38 style 5s. Then on to pulling dash, cutting cracked windshield out and basically just making more mess. The closer I think I am to finished the further the goal posts get moved

Fucking jelly FYI
    Jason Broadhurst

That last photo makes me glad I kill bugs and tint windows for a living.

and know a wiring nerd who needs bugs killed and windows tinted.
    The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Is it even an E30 if it hasn't had the dash out for 18 months?
    Jason Broadhurst

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    Is it even an E30 if it hasn't had the dash out for 18 months?
    Correct. Right of passage for e30 project car. Hopefully it won't be out for 18 months. Was on a roll a week ago and now have not touched it since. Hate that. The longer it doesn't get worked on the harder it is to go in there and get moving.

Quote Originally Posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    That last photo makes me glad I kill bugs and tint windows for a living.

and know a wiring nerd who needs bugs killed and windows tinted.
    It looks worse than it is. This is my 3rd or 4th e30 dash r&r so kinda not too bothered by it.

When I did the lhd to rhd conversion on my henna m3 I did call in the experts to extend the dash harness. That took my friend who is a qualified BMW auto electrician 3 full days to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by Forg Convertible View Post
    Hopefully it won't be out for 18 months.
    Holy fuck, thanks. I needed a good laugh.
    Jason Broadhurst