Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the Focus ST

Tell me about the Focus ST

Considering buying my next car and I'd like to get something a little more interesting than my current people mover.

Whilst I'd love a RS, the ST seems much better value even though they're wrong wheel drive.

Any big known problems? Seems you can get some low Km examples for around $20k.

Registered Cunt
    If you're on facebook get onto the "XR5 & ST/RS Owners Club of Australia" group, there's some good info on there about them.
    The BooSTeRS group is probably also worth a look also and seems to have a good culture (is that the word I want?) but it's REALLY full of the younger crowd, if that turns you off.

We bought one new in 2012 and has about 60k on it now. Still have it and it's been a great car.

Only mod has been a Cobb flash tune and a stiffer lower engine mount to stop the fire wall thump.

No issues although it just chucked a check engine light last week that I assume will be something minor when it's looked at tomorrow.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    From most reports a Fiesta ST is cheaper and a better thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    From what I've read (and not from personal experience), Fiesta ST uses less fuel, is more fun, isn't as fast, is easier to park, is noisier, feels more cheaply made (which is a touchy-feely thing not a reflection on longevity or quality - weren't most of our ST's were assembled in Germany?) and isn't as roomy.
    *edit*
    Ö but the Fiesta is a 3dr, which makes them cooler & better-looking but also less family-friendly.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 05-12-18 at 09:15 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

If you want something different but similar to the Focus. The Volvo V40 T5 R-design is kinda the same car up till about 2014 they ran the 2.5 5cyl, from late '14 onwards they went to a Volvo developed 2.0 4cyl. The V40 is based off the Ford Global C platform i.e. Focus. I was looking at one but bought a S60 R-Design instead. Only downside is the Volvo's are Auto only at least in Australia anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    From what I've read (and not from personal experience), Fiesta ST uses less fuel, is more fun, isn't as fast, is easier to park, is noisier, feels more cheaply made (which is a touchy-feely thing not a reflection on longevity or quality - weren't most of our ST's were assembled in Germany?) and isn't as roomy.
    From memory all the Hot versions for the Focus and Fiesta come out of Belgium still, all the normal spec stuff somewhere in SE asia (Malaysia?).

EDIT: According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_factories Focus and Fiesta are Germany, our Mondeo was Belgium. All the newer lower spec Fiesta and Focus are Thailand. Unless like CF says they may have moved ST production to Thailand as well. The give away used to be which side of the column the indicator stalk was on.
    Last edited by Luke352; 05-12-18 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke352 View Post
    From memory all the Hot versions for the Focus and Fiesta come out of Belgium still, all the normal spec stuff somewhere in SE asia (Malaysia?).
    I can find the articles (eg. this) that say the Fiesta ST was made by the RS team in Germany Ö but I did think they'd switched production (and I think it was someone on PF who reported it) & yet can't quickly find anything that confirms it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke352 View Post
    Only downside is the Volvo's are Auto only at least in Australia anyway.
    You can get the 5cyl ones in manual, but I'm suspecting they're older than 1uz-zte's after (like 6+ years old & not super common in manual form).
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 05-12-18 at 09:23 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Our ST was built in Germany. It's been 6 years though so they could be built elsewhere now.

Registered Cunt
    I was under the impression that *all* ST and RS cars were made in Saarlouis in Germany.
    Happy to be corrected though.
    All the Focus XR5s were German.

Quote Originally Posted by womblesti View Post
    No issues although it just chucked a check engine light last week that I assume will be something minor when it's looked at tomorrow.
    Not sure whether to post this here or the things that piss you off thread, but the reason for the light is a malfunction with the "sound symposer". i.e. the bullshit system to pipe noise into the cabin.

$400 to fix and without fixing it the idle is all over the place.....

Not sure whether to post this here or the things that piss you off thread, but the reason for the light is a malfunction with the "sound symposer". i.e. the bullshit system to pipe noise into the cabin.

Urgh, Ford do that too? Is there a way to turn it off? I thought that was entirely a BMW thing.

There are delete kits so just exploring that at the moment.

Why they put dumb things like this on cars is beyond me.

Yeah, that's a pretty big thing. Almost a deal breaker. I couldn't stand that kind of shit.

I wouldn't let it sway you. It has been a great car and a bit of fun.

Delete kit located:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/steeda-s...018/p/5553179/

A mate of mine had a '16 ST. The car was a good little thing. Had the mountune package on it and would eat VE SS Commodores for fun whilst still under warranty. Also rides a lot better than the RS.
    Last edited by stevanford; 06-12-18 at 05:20 PM.

Pffft...rides better than an RS....LOL!
    Ok mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Fuck 1uz you're such a sad cunt, trolling at a rookie level is the lowest form of self expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Interesting that no-one wants to come to the rescue of 1uz though. Maybe he really is an annoying flog ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Its probably alright if your doing shitloads of track days but the Focus RS seems to be the worst of its class, its fucking slow for the money too. Foamy here test drove one and didnt have a nice thing to say about it - bought a Hyundai i30n instead.
    Fiesta ST is a gem tho
    Last edited by dnegative; 06-12-18 at 07:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Its probably alright if your doing shitloads of track days but the Focus RS seems to be the worst of its class, its fucking slow for the money too. Foamy here test drove one and didnt have a nice thing to say about it - bought a Hyundai i30n instead.
    Focus RS is definitively quicker than an I30N ... and if you get the luxo I30N the price is much the same too.
    Issue is funness; being AWD the RS is all grip, and possibly less character. Not all agree though ...
    And slow for the money? The only thing any quicker for near the same money is the Civic Type-R, a freakishly good & fast car (and which effectively didnít go on sale Ďtil the RS was done - newer car).

All a bit OT if someoneís looking at STís, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by evo-gsr View Post
    Pffft...rides better than an RS....LOL!
    Ok mate.
    Given that ST is sorta the top-of-the-line luxo version of the cooking model, and RS is the balls-out performance car; an ST being softer is very understandable. RS is pretty firm in terms of ride innit?
    Iím surprised if ST doesnít out-comfort an RS in the same way a Calais does a Clubsport?
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 06-12-18 at 08:44 PM.

Fiesta ST is a gem tho
    Lol focus RS is worst of its class. Lay off the crack pipe nigga. Civic Type R is not faster either. Not in a straight line nor around a track. Itís close with the Focus on the standard wheels and tyres but on the optional forged wheels and Cup2s the focus destroyed all.

https://youtu.be/uqdMijKmGE8
    Last edited by FLI355; 06-12-18 at 08:49 PM.
    CAD Automotive Paint Correction

Quote Originally Posted by 1uz-zte View Post
    Urgh, Ford do that too? Is there a way to turn it off? I thought that was entirely a BMW thing.
    Kia Optima GT has it too
    Drove one the other day and fuck it was annoying. Worst part was that it was causing something in the dash to buzz like a bee in a jar.
    Worked out putting in eco mode reduced the noise by about 70%.

I've been driving a '12 ST with ~38,000kms this week as a loaner.

Pros:
    Relatively quick
    Sounds good
    Torque steer is fun

Cons:
    Seats are designed for 12 year olds
    The interior controls require an aerospace degree to operate
    A little tacky/boy racer inside

Plenty of bang for buck - although admittedly I preferred driving the 5 banger ovlov XR5
    '94 ED XR8 Sprint - 347w, 5-speed manual, 3.9s, Bilsteins, 1 Piston PBR's
    '02 AUIII TS50 - 342w, 4-speed ESS Auto, 3.45s, Konis, Brembos
    '04 BA XT - It runs!

Quote Originally Posted by FLI355 View Post
    Lol focus RS is worst of its class. Lay off the crack pipe nigga. Civic Type R is not faster either. Not in a straight line nor around a track. Itís close with the Focus on the standard wheels and tyres but on the optional forged wheels and Cup2s the focus destroyed all.

https://youtu.be/uqdMijKmGE8
    And the civic type r is an ugly looking piece of shit too...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMuz View Post
    Fuck 1uz you're such a sad cunt, trolling at a rookie level is the lowest form of self expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Interesting that no-one wants to come to the rescue of 1uz though. Maybe he really is an annoying flog ?

I have a 2105 ST Focus and it is great. Goes well - sure there are a lot faster cars around so go buy one of them if you want more fasts. It handles well (IMO), like a big go-kart without having bone shaking suspension. Love the seats though they probably aren't for fat cunts. Has good range of modern gadgets such as reversing camera, multiple airbags, traction control (that you can turn off), sat nav, bluetooth, cruise control and decentish stereo. Nice fat steering wheel. Back seat folds down so I can put my treadly in the back with wheels still on. Seats don't fold flat so you cant sleep in the back.

It is very torquey for a 4cyl thanks to the turbo and there is virtually no lag when pulling away from 1200rpm.

Mine is stock standard, probably the first car I haven't modfied, got bitten by the modification bug with my XR6T and regretted it.

Slight negatives, it can be hard to see out of to work out exactly where the wheels are hence I find myself parking a metre away from the gutter. Even with traction control on it will light up the front tyres and has massive torque steer, so I question why you would modify for more power as it would barely be usable. I reckon it needs a slightly louder exhaust.
    Last edited by Falc&Send; 07-12-18 at 05:26 AM.

Falc&Send, does yours fly & is it powered by a Mr Fusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    Given that ST is sorta the top-of-the-line luxo version of the cooking model, and RS is the balls-out performance car; an ST being softer is very understandable. RS is pretty firm in terms of ride innit?
    Iím surprised if ST doesnít out-comfort an RS in the same way a Calais does a Clubsport?
    Bingo. Not saying that it is quicker than an RS. It is more comfortable than an RS on the road.

I hate those things too. My M140i has one, and I have no idea why. It sounds excellent and loud as hell from outside the car, just quiet inside. No idea why they just don't remove a couple of layers of soundproofing from the back instead.

'What is best' doesn't really come into it the upper end hot hatchback world anyway. You buy a Focus RS if you want something quick and competent, the Golf R quick, competent and boring, Civic Type R if you want quick, competent and watched too much Manga in your childhood, and the M140i if you want quick, comfortable and of dubious cornering ability.
    Last edited by Mr Purple; 07-12-18 at 10:08 AM.

Fiesta ST is a gem tho
    Outstanding product review. Informative and insightful.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Cheers, any other reviews you want?

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    My reviews:

- CTR: if it were a weapon it would be a katana. Super accurate, everything is weighted just so. It's satisfying and precise to drive rather than laugh out loud fun. The one you want on a track. Best in class for track days.
    - Golf R: the sensible one. Absolute rocketships in a straight line and super comfortable. But no fun. Best in class for daily driving.
    - RS3: as above but faster, nicer interior, and sound better. Best in class for traffic light GP and Quattro warble.
    - Focus RS: if it were a weapon it would be an AK47. Hilarious fun - great steering, brutal power delivery, a legit rally car style of thing. Not as precise or as good on a track as the CTR, but more fun. Best in class for fun and oversteering on the way to work.
    - A45: haven't actually driven one but I understand they are for Chinese understeer enthusiasts.

If you think any of this class are slow you're cooked