Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 118

Thread: ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

  1. #1
    Opens GAZ914's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,631

    ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

    So I've had this thing for a couple of years after crashing the previous one.



    It needed a head on it when I bought it and since then I've put about 100,000 kms on it.

    It has done a great job towing the racecar and camper trailer around - albeit slow up the hills.

    Had the usual 'NADS' - EGR Block, Dawes Valve, Catch Can plus boost and EGT guages to keep an eye on things.

    Driving to work on Wednesday morning, it lost power and made a shed load of smoke.

    The smoke was the oil being pushed out of the catch can onto the exhaust.

    Managed to limp it home and park it, leaking oil everywhere.

    I'm 99% sure its put a hole in a piston, so game over.

    Leaning towards sticking in an LS1 with the existing auto as the best bang for buck 'fix'
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

  2. #2
    sexy fingers
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Traralgon, Vic
    Posts
    222
    Yeah fuck the cancerous ZD off. Donít care what people say that they get them reliable theyíre still shit.

    Mine went bang 3 times before I learnt.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

    '98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

  3. #3
    Registered User landbarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    76
    Why not boosted 4.8l?
    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ914 View Post
    So I've had this thing for a couple of years after crashing the previous one.



    It needed a head on it when I bought it and since then I've put about 100,000 kms on it.

    It has done a great job towing the racecar and camper trailer around - albeit slow up the hills.

    Had the usual 'NADS' - EGR Block, Dawes Valve, Catch Can plus boost and EGT guages to keep an eye on things.

    Driving to work on Wednesday morning, it lost power and made a shed load of smoke.

    The smoke was the oil being pushed out of the catch can onto the exhaust.

    Managed to limp it home and park it, leaking oil everywhere.

    I'm 99% sure its put a hole in a piston, so game over.

    Leaning towards sticking in an LS1 with the existing auto as the best bang for buck 'fix'
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Opens GAZ914's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by landbarge View Post
    Why not boosted 4.8l?
    Seems the 4.8 is a bit of a nugget - LS1 has more scope
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

  5. #5
    I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gympie, QLD
    Posts
    2,068
    Ls1 is still going to be slow as in something that heavy. What about Barra? Boosts and turbo torque will go a long way towards moving it with ease.

    Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

  6. #6
    Registered User clutch-monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    5,164
    Arenít 4.8ís pushing a billionty hp in Dubai etc?

  7. #7
    I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gympie, QLD
    Posts
    2,068
    Yrah, but they need rods put in them. 10psi is apparently their limit, although 10psi in a 4.8 would still go well.

    Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

  8. #8
    Opens
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    One street away from Guido's den of sin
    Posts
    24,365
    Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Yrah, but they need rods put in them. 10psi is apparently their limit, although 10psi in a 4.8 would still go well.
    Gen IV 4.8/5.3 has the good rods. Open up ring gaps, chuck a set of head gaskets, springs, cheap cam and try and keep the power under 1500hp on E85.

  9. #9
    Registered User landbarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    76
    https://youtu.be/BBzWVqJcL1Q a few years ago now

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Desert Nigga vet 180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    3,506
    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ914 View Post
    Seems the 4.8 is a bit of a nugget - LS1 has more scope
    4.8 is far from a nugget. I still vote barra though.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

  11. #11
    Opens GAZ914's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,631
    My thinking is that LS will be better at low revs (larger capacity) plus it is simpler and I can always add boost as required later.

    Might do some more research though.
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

  12. #12
    Opens Guido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In my Den of Sin??
    Posts
    8,916
    LS isn't a low down grunter at all. The Barra is though. Especially with the added load of 3T.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

    My Italian 510

  13. #13
    Desert Nigga vet 180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    3,506

    ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ914 View Post
    My thinking is that LS will be better at low revs (larger capacity) plus it is simpler and I can always add boost as required later.

    Might do some more research though.
    I vote barra for the same reason. I think it produces more torque when needed low/mid rpm. LS ainít great down low but the do rev well for a pushrod V8.

    Barra is also cheap and plentiful.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vet 180; 14-12-18 at 03:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

  14. #14
    Registered User PXL265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    2,643
    Barra for the win...

  15. #15
    Look behind you... Milkman Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    look behind you
    Posts
    3,369
    Unless you are planning on boosting the lsjuan it will be a slow thirsty nugget. Iíd run with the Barra or turbo 4.8 litre otherwise wouldnít put less than a blown 6l in it
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

  16. #16
    Registered User irsa76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queanbeyan
    Posts
    10,057
    I'd lean towards the 4.8, with or without boost.

  17. #17
    Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    8,328
    Arent LSA's cheap for what you get?
    Barra's are great at low down torque. An FG XR6T motor with the smaller turbo would be the go but still makes good power with the usual mods.
    Why does anyone but a Patrol with a ZD30 anyway given how well known there explodyness is?
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

  18. #18
    agricultural
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tas
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Why does anyone but a Patrol with a ZD30 anyway given how well known there explodyness is?
    Because they're so cheap. A guy I know who's not good with cars just replaced a Volvo and a Micra with two auto ZD30 patrols, on gas. I drove one of his for a few Kay's with a trailer full of gravel and wanted to pull over and top myself.

  19. #19
    Registered User Gats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,607
    They don't all blow up. I know of a couple that are trucking along just fine with 250k+on them.

    Slow as fuck, but so was a standard TD42

  20. #20
    I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gympie, QLD
    Posts
    2,068
    Quote Originally Posted by aerobrick View Post
    Because they're so cheap. A guy I know who's not good with cars just replaced a Volvo and a Micra with two auto ZD30 patrols, on gas. I drove one of his for a few Kay's with a trailer full of gravel and wanted to pull over and top myself.
    Why would you waste money putting putting gas on a diesel, especially a zd30?

    Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

  21. #21
    I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gympie, QLD
    Posts
    2,068
    Coincidentally the only two people I've known with early zd30's have both had 360k km and 380k km on them respectively and both on original motors. Both oldies from out west that didn't even know there was meant to be issues with them when I brought it up.

    Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

  22. #22
    agricultural
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tas
    Posts
    878
    Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Why would you waste money putting putting gas on a diesel, especially a zd30?
    😂😂😂 Clearly my morning hangover has far more powerful than I realised. His are the old petrol shitbox. Much apologies for 'tarding up the thread

  23. #23
    Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    8,328
    So any idea which way you're going to go with this yet?
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

  24. #24
    Eurotrash :D
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    4,121
    a12 on dellortos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....


    I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

  25. #25
    anyone? MRMOPARMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    downtown chicago
    Posts
    12,985
    Quote Originally Posted by psi999 View Post
    Gen IV 4.8/5.3 has the good rods. Open up ring gaps, chuck a set of head gaskets, springs, cheap cam and try and keep the power under 1500hp on E85.
    Nine2nine was talking about tb48 motors, not 4.8 LSs.

    +1 for barra. There is a page dedicated to barra patrols on Facebook. They go hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

  26. #26
    Registered Redneck Speedyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Nerangatang
    Posts
    1,182
    Didn't someone have a 20B looking for a home?
    I'm not straight outta Compton, I'm straight out the trailer.

  27. #27
    Opens GAZ914's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    So any idea which way you're going to go with this yet?
    Plan at the moment is LS1 with adaptor plate to the RE4 auto that is in it.
    Modified valve body on the auto plus TC modfied for lower stall, etc.

    Ball park 10K conversion - depends on how much I end up buying vs making.

    While a Barra turbo 'may' be better, the LS1 will be less work and sound better
    I don't think the cost will be any different and can always go boost if needed later.

    As much as it would be great to do a 'cool' project, I would rather spend money on the Commodore/motorsport.

    The aim of this is to be able to tow the campervan and car trailer reliably - hopefully slightly faster than the ZD30 without using too much extra fuel.

    I like the simplicity of NA in this application and the auto should make up for any 'off idle' torque issues.

    If I don't like it, then I can sell it and probably recoup the conversion cost and do something else
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

  28. #28
    sexy fingers
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Traralgon, Vic
    Posts
    222
    Why the low stall?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GU Patrol L98, Manualised Auto, 35s, Kings etc
    VF2 Redline Ute
    E36 Track Nugget Project

    '98 Honda XR600R / '00 Kawasaki ZX-12R / '08 Honda CRF450R Supermoto / '09 KTM RC8R / '10 KTM RC8R (Broken Frame)

  29. #29
    Opens GAZ914's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperHoon View Post
    Why the low stall?
    ZD30 stall is about 2500, LS! is about 1800 I believe.
    The guy I was speaking with does quite a few transmissions for LS1 conversions, so i figure he has sussed it out already.
    Race Car: VT Commodore (Murray)
    www.vsport.com.au

  30. #30
    Desert Nigga vet 180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    3,506

    ZD30 - Pin fell out of the Grenade

    Quote Originally Posted by GAZ914 View Post
    Plan at the moment is LS1 with adaptor plate to the RE4 auto that is in it.
    Modified valve body on the auto plus TC modfied for lower stall, etc.

    Ball park 10K conversion - depends on how much I end up buying vs making.

    While a Barra turbo 'may' be better, the LS1 will be less work and sound better
    I don't think the cost will be any different and can always go boost if needed later.

    As much as it would be great to do a 'cool' project, I would rather spend money on the Commodore/motorsport.

    The aim of this is to be able to tow the campervan and car trailer reliably - hopefully slightly faster than the ZD30 without using too much extra fuel.

    I like the simplicity of NA in this application and the auto should make up for any 'off idle' torque issues.

    If I don't like it, then I can sell it and probably recoup the conversion cost and do something else
    Before you commit to the stock auto with different converter etc I would check out the options and prices of changing to a 6L80 auto. They do make transfer adapters for that trans. 6 speed trans will be better for towing, provide better fuel economy and 4:1 first gear through an auto is going to be epic off-road.

    As you said it will be 10k for the convention, if it cost the same or a little more for a result thatís twice as good itís worth researching. In theory the 6L80 will be much better and my experience with the new Denali indicates that you will get more fuel economy from the gearbox than the engine. However I have no practical experience with the 6L80 with as LS in a patrol other than the fact I know they make the adaptor. If I was in your situation I would be researching.

    The 6L80 ratios
    4.03
    2.36
    1.53
    1.15
    0.85
    0.67

    RE4
    2.784
    1.54
    1
    0.694

    So you get a much lower first gear for off-road, a much better spread of gears, more torque to the ground from standstill to highway speed, more torque to the ground while off-roading, a better cruising gear and less jump between each gear, if you have bigger tires this will really effect your fuel economy.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by vet 180; 29-12-18 at 03:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •