Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ignition/Spark woes - multiple setups, no spark!

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    what pump you using? ive seen pumps over power a reg before.
    Standard Gem elec pump on 12V, someone suggested removing the reg but the gem pump runs at approx 7psi, carbs have been set up for 2.5-3.5psi so worried that running reg-less will flood them. Carbs are IDF40 copies

Quote Originally Posted by F3ARED View Post
    Would help if i could get it to fucking start Holley reg is doing absolutely nothing to control fuel pressure, seems to be dumping fuel flat out etc. Slowly getting there but fuck me, whoever said carbies are simple needs to be slapped
    They are simple. The Holley regs aren't great though at weber pressures - don't know anyone who's had any luck with one. Put a Fispa Filterking on it - neat little glass bowl filter and reg in one, perfect for weber fed cars.
    Are the float heights set right on the IDF copies? You really need to go through the carbs and check everything when they're new out of the box (or second hand really).
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    They are simple. The Holley regs aren't great though at weber pressures - don't know anyone who's had any luck with one. Put a Fispa Filterking on it - neat little glass bowl filter and reg in one, perfect for weber fed cars.
    Are the float heights set right on the IDF copies? You really need to go through the carbs and check everything when they're new out of the box (or second hand really).
    Its just one of those things [carbys] ive never had much luck with and their operation is like a dark art full of black magic to me [what that means is really its my fault for being too stupid to get my head around them]. I have the impression they are a shit reg but winding it in or out made zero difference, had uncontrollable fuel pressure that was flat-lining around 15psi. Ive redone the fuel lines to it thinking i may have had a kink in a hose the way they were routed, havent had it running yet to check if it worked. Fuel system is set up return-less, maybe its that causing it?

Got the IDF copies through Ben Wight who goes through them prior to sending them out. Asked him to jet them to suit the engine [mild 1600 - 9:1, cam, exhaust], this is what i got sent with the carb:

Fuel Press [Recommended] - 2.5psi to 3.5psi
    Float height: 11mm w/ Gasket
    Needle and seat: 200
    High Speed Enrichment: N/A
    Acc pump nozzle: 50
    Acc pump bleed: 55
    Choke/Main venturi: 28
    Idle jet: 55
    Emulsion tube: F11
    Main jet: 125
    Air corrector jet: 185

I have the impression they are a shit reg but winding it in or out made zero difference, had uncontrollable fuel pressure that was flat-lining around 15psi. Ive redone the fuel lines to it thinking i may have had a kink in a hose the way they were routed, havent had it running yet to check if it worked. Fuel system is set up return-less, maybe its that causing it?
    The Holleys are a dead head reg, sounds like it's just fucked.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Eurotrash :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Only be concerned if that Dunning-Kruger Motorsports bloke is there and goes all Captain Damphands McGigglefingers on you after a couple of lemon squashes....

I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

Forgot they're Malpassi now. They were Fispa when they were OEM on weber/delorto fed alfas.

Bridged power to the pump to build up some fuel pressure as the way Isuzu ran the wiring on these the pump doesnt actually power up properly if the alternator isnt spinning, have it on 3psi now. Interestingly i needed to wind it all the way IN to get UP to 3psi which is fucking bizarre, as prior to redoing the fuel lines i couldnt get the dumb thing under 12psi. Still cant get the fucking thing to start - have advanced timing to point of backfiring out of inlet, retarded timing to point of popping out of exhaust and ive got nothing.

Im wondering now if we didnt close up the idle mixture and air bypass too much when the fuel pressure was too high. Might need some start-ya-bastard to get it going?

From memory it's about 1 1/2-13/4 turns out on the idle mixture as a starting point. It's really easy to flood webers out with pumping the throttle too.

Ill give that a stab on the weekend, ta. Ill see if i can use startyabastard or wd40 or something to try and get the thing to catch instead of throttle

Managed to squeeze in an hour block on this thing and actually turn spanners on it. Turfed the holley reg as it just would not adjust fuel pressure regardless of how it was turned, standard pump on 12V now with a non-return setup. Now, spark. Fucking. Spark. The electronic points replacement WOULD spark, however the car wouldnt fire and didnt sound remotely like firing. Tried the dizzy cap 180deg the other way and still nothing. Not even a cough or a splutter.

Began thinking there was a sync issue - as in #1 is not actually number 1. Spoke to the guy i got it off, he said test light to neg post of coil and earth it to body, engine on TDC #1, rotate dizzy until light flickers then make where ever the rotor button is pointing #1 - aka same process as static timing a points dizzy. Easy enough. Did that.....AND THE FUCKING TEST LIGHT STAYS ON CONSTANTLY, which makes zero sense because it shouldnt spark at all if thats the case. Took it all out, threw the dizzy in from the now written off brown/gold car, timed it the same way i always time it....

....and the fucking thing starts first go without any throttle pumping. FFS.

TLR - buy new parts but dont expect them to actually work.

Now the fun part...getting the carbies tuned. Currently fuelly as on idle and the idle speed screen is turned in a fair bit more than the "maximum 1 turn" the book says...

idle speed screen is turned in a fair bit more than the "maximum 1 turn" the book says...
    You can comfortably ignore that.