Thread: LED headlamp bulbs?

LED headlamp bulbs?

Is anyone up to speed on currently available LED H4/H7 headlamp bulbs?

Disregarding the no name Chinese junk, are the bulbs made by Philips/Narva etc okay these days?

Are they legal and can they project the light properly?

Thanks

LED headlamp bulbs?

Iíve got these in my 208 GTIís low beam projector lamps and Iím happy with them:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/produc...ed-headlamp-h7

Thereís usually some good discount codes floating around for the Powerbulbs site, I paid $240 delivered for that set.

Theyíre not quite as bright as some of the better factory LED headlights around but definitely better than the halogens I replaced.

Iíve had them in for around 6 months / 8000km now with nil issues.

In my case the little box and heatsink all fit inside the headlamp housing fine and I was able to put the rubber cap back over it all to seal it up.

As for output, I havenít really bothered to take any decent photos of that to be honest. Hereís a terrible pic I took with my phone a while ago which wonít really tell you much.

Last edited by [ryan]; 26-01-19 at 07:45 AM.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    For which vehicle?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

GF's 206cc. It burns out regular H7's way too often. Dunno why, charge voltage is normal. Probably heat/vibes or just because Peugeot.
    I've been tempted to leave the rear cover off but haven't done so yet.
    This is the main motivation for looking at LEDs.
    Sick of buying nice white light H7's at $60pr.

I've played with cheap LED H4's years ago and they were garbage. So I'm wondering if more development and a name brand will provide a good H7?

Apart from not having to replace them, what other benifits do LED globe replacemnts in cars give?

Does the reflector have to be changed to take full advatage of the LED?
    You show a heat sink, so is current draw as high as a Halogen?
    Wont the rubber boot on the back of the headlight get damnaged from that heat?

What am I missing here, because they look like a great upgrade on a old car, as Halogen require a new wiring harness for ther current draw/switch bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    Apart from not having to replace them, what other benifits do LED globe replacemnts in cars give?

Does the reflector have to be changed to take full advatage of the LED?
    You show a heat sink, so is current draw as high as a Halogen?
    Wont the rubber boot on the back of the headlight get damnaged from that heat?

What am I missing here, because they look like a great upgrade on a old car, as Halogen require a new wiring harness for ther current draw/switch bypass.
    I've not heard of people changing reflectors with LED globes, it's alot easier to get the LED positioned like a halogen filament than a Xenon burner.
    Heatsink/fans are for cooling the circuit board, unlike LED lightbars there's no airflow to cool them in a headlight.
    The heat generated by LEDs is unlikely to damage the rubber boots.
    Legality wise LED globes are like HID globes in halogen reflectors, ie they're illegal.
    I've never heard anyone getting done for them, or failing rego, unless they're actually blinding people.
    That said, if they're going over your car looking for defects they'll probably get you for them.

As for running them on an older car, it's a very feasible upgrade, although putting proper LED headlights in would be better.
    Mate of mine in the US has LED globes in his Continental Mk2 convertible, 1 of 3 "factory" built, he agreed proper LED headlights would be better but would look very wrong in this car, which is mainly used for shows. He's since fitted proper JW speaker LED headlights in his '77 Lincoln Towncar.

Thanks for that.

I'm thinking of going LED in the new 7" headlights I bought as the old Ford circuit goes through the headlight switch. Thats bad for high current draw halogen globes. The alternative is to have the plug go into a relay and give power to the globes that way, but, LED globes would resolve that issue.

I agree with your mate, full LED headlights look wrong on old cars. I can't bring myself to do it.

Even with LEDs it's still strongly recommended that you fit relays anyway.

Im running the Narva H4 replacement LED globes in the Gemini and have daily driven it with them in there for roughly 12months. No, they arent legal - something to do with the glare. Narva rep reckons theyve dropped the light output on the new ones slightly to make them less annoying to other road users but they still come marked offroad use only. That said, for an old car....definately do it, made a huge difference on the Gem. Get a quality 7" round headlight [Narva ones are good] and run the LED globes - headlights are almost as good as our 2015 WRX on low beam. Reduced current draw is mega noticeable too - with the reg H4 globes the charge light would come on with headlights on and demister on. Dont get that at all now.

206 blowing H7 globes sounds like my sisters Maz3 - it does the same thing. I *think* someone said to me it may be the earthing causing it. Youd want to check that before you start throwing LEDs at it because the good ones are a lot more exxy than a H7 halogen

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    Legality wise LED globes are like HID globes in halogen reflectors, ie they're illegal.
    I've never heard anyone getting done for them, or failing rego, unless they're actually blinding people.
    That said, if they're going over your car looking for defects they'll probably get you for them.
    Cant recall seeing mention of HID in reflectors being illegal, only specifying that over 2000 lumens is when washers and levellers become required.
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits