Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13B turbo choice

13B turbo choice

Supercheap have their 20% garrett turbos. So I am looking at the range to see if there is any I could use on my RX7.

Its an S4 Bridgeported motor. It has a PS1000 ECU, fuel system to be decided etc.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/br...&sz=60&start=0

It has been many years since I looked at turbos and tech has come a long way. Is there anything that is good to use from the Supercheap range?

For a 13b bridge if you can afford BW Efr 8374 for best response, 9180 for top end. Alternately if low cost is prefered plain bearing sxe362 to sxe369 (there is a step in turbine and compressor size but both will let a bridge breathe well enough).

If you want middle ground of cost/tech/roller bearing, in garrett range you want gt38 or larger turbine. Most non drag stuff will be gt38 (same size as the old t04 P trim), gt40 or up to gt42 depending on your preference for response or top end. Plenty of dyno graphs and feedback if you search t04z/gt40/42 on ausrotary or just have a quick look in the single turbo section of rx7club.
    Edited: for whatever reason garrett changed the 37 turbine to 38, the gtw3884 is basically the new t04z

If you want more factory like response BW7670 or gtx35 but that makes the bridge a little bit of a wank/waste.

The BW EFR internally gated housings are generally the only internal gates that will hold sensible boost on rotaries without intentionally restrictive exhausts. If manifold is still to be decided full split pulse and divided turbine housing is best for boost threshold.
    Last edited by Slides; 26-01-19 at 11:10 PM.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Awesome asking for turbo suggestion but no hints of target power. You could put a gt30 or a gt45 on it, and both suggestions could be spot on.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

EFR9174 looks like a good turbo for a 13B to me. The 9180's turbines apparently fail when overspun.

GTW3884R 64mm with 1.32 housing.
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Pftt , gt47 with 10s spool , brah #sick_re

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    Awesome asking for turbo suggestion but no hints of target power. You could put a gt30 or a gt45 on it, and both suggestions could be spot on.
    4-450kw at the rears on E85.

You will be at the limit of the gt3884 at that power, will probably want the 67mm inducer (more lag). I'd be looking at a gt42, sxe369 or efr9174/80 if you think you will want to push any higher.

450kw is asking a bit, rotors aint that good.

You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    450kw is asking a bit, rotors aint that good.
    I wouldnt be crying if it landed at 380 or 390. I really dont know what to realistically expect from it.

Thanks Slides. Gives me something to look at.

There are a fair few rotaries without dowels, usually with 10mm studs or bolts pushing 28-40psi on water injection or flex making those kinds of numbers or more but they need a lot of air, fuel and exhaust to do it.

Look up the green bros shop drag car, made ~800rwhp with a really basic water injection setup and copped a lot of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    There are a fair few rotaries without dowels, usually with 10mm studs or bolts pushing 28-40psi on water injection or flex making those kinds of numbers or more but they need a lot of air, fuel and exhaust to do it.

Look up the green bros shop drag car, made ~800rwhp with a really basic water injection setup and copped a lot of abuse.

Which is my next thing. I am 99% sure this is a fresh build. I think it was done by a slightly larger known workshop. I asked them for details on what they did to the motor and they were total shitcunts. Unfortuatly they came back saying, we cant give you any information about it due to privacy reasons. For their help I would have taken the car back for tuning. Off to another workshop!

Without pulling the entire engine down, can I check if it has dowels?
    Last edited by mad_cow; 28-01-19 at 06:41 PM.

t04z... I made 470rwhp on 16psi back in 2004 with one of them... 1.32 rear housing and away you go
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    t04z... I made 470rwhp on 16psi back in 2004 with one of them... 1.32 rear housing and away you go
    T04Z was a good thing but there must be better options nowadays? GTW3884R seems to be the new T04Z and are fairly cheap? I reckon a GTX3884RS or EFR9174/9180 will see you hitting 450+rwkw on E85

I haven't seen anything better for a street car yet
    im a cunt

Was that on 98 fuel?
    Do you think with E85 and a newer ECU (PS1000) you could do more with the same setup safely?

I am leaning towards Al's suggestion. of the GTW3884R, its a BB unit, price is about where I want to spend. In terms of lag, is the 64 to 67mm going to be night and day? I dont want something that I need to rev out to 7k just to get it to spool, but dont want it to run out of puff.

Im going to be upgrading my turbo soon so could sell you my GT3788R with a GTX wheel. I have made 430RWKS @ 30psi with a 13B BP.

Turbo setup came from this car (turbo has since been replaced though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQHTf9GPwLc

Quote Originally Posted by mad_cow View Post
    Was that on 98 fuel?
    Do you think with E85 and a newer ECU (PS1000) you could do more with the same setup safely?

I am leaning towards Al's suggestion. of the GTW3884R, its a BB unit, price is about where I want to spend. In terms of lag, is the 64 to 67mm going to be night and day? I dont want something that I need to rev out to 7k just to get it to spool, but dont want it to run out of puff.

yes that was on 98, had water injection on it when made 470.. but would run 420-430 on 98 with no water..

I don't think a different ecu will make any difference to power. ignition system yes, not ecu (providing it can fire coils at the right time)

if you go a GT42 size turbo yes it will be lazy..

a t04z is on by 4k and singing all the way to 8k.. as I said im still yet to see anything that performs as well on a 13b...
    im a cunt

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Im going to be upgrading my turbo soon so could sell you my GT3788R with a GTX wheel. I have made 430RWKS @ 30psi with a 13B BP.

Turbo setup came from this car (turbo has since been replaced though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQHTf9GPwLc

Something to consider. PM when you are ready/

yes that was on 98, had water injection on it when made 470.. but would run 420-430 on 98 with no water..

I don't think a different ecu will make any difference to power. ignition system yes, not ecu (providing it can fire coils at the right time)

if you go a GT42 size turbo yes it will be lazy..

a t04z is on by 4k and singing all the way to 8k.. as I said im still yet to see anything that performs as well on a 13b...
    Are all the t04z units ball bearing? for some reason I thought they where journal bearing?
    The other question I have is the GTW3884R simply a modern/update version of the t04z? Or is it totally different?

13b mild port, s4 intake manifold, t04z, 1.32 rear, 50mm ID runners on the manifold, single 45mm gate, 470rwhp 17psi boost on 98 octane.. all on before 4000rpm pull all the way to 9000.. unbeatable on the street.. proven combo, ive don't 10 in the last few years and all have made 440+rwhp on 14psi boost..

DO NOT USE 38 OR 40MM RUNNERS.....
    http://www.performanceforums.com/for...urbo-selection

Something else to check on the manifolds I have!

The gt37/38 turbine is the same inducer/exducer size as T04Z P Trim and the compressor dimentions on the "67" mm inducer are pretty much the same. More modern aero on both. The 74mm borg warner turbo a heap of guys use on rotors is the same size. I definitely wouldn't fuck around chasing an expensive out of production turbo for the Z badge when you can get the new version with turbine housing material less sceptible to cracking than the older t04 stuff. I'd buy glenn's setup or get warranty ftom gcg or whoever is cheap and has them in stock.

where are all these 400+ rwhp on 13-14psi boost 13b's with GT37/38? just because they are the same sizes does not mean they are the same..
    they still make T04z too..
    im a cunt

GTW3884 is just a TO4Z with 3 inducer options on a billet compressor. Old turbine that just works with a newer compressor. My recommendation pretty much comes via Dale back in the day with some billet cream on top.

Still don't buy 450rwkw reliably from a 13BT but play on.

where are all these 400+ rwhp on 13-14psi boost 13b's with GT37/38? just because they are the same sizes does not mean they are the same..
    they still make T04z too..
    I have one lol. To be honest I dont know what it makes at 14psi but I'm guessing it would do 400rwhp easy. GT3788R has been a great turbo in my race car but I want to up to the next level (450+RWKWS).

Quote Originally Posted by JZK25 View Post
    Still don't buy 450rwkw reliably from a 13BT but play on.
    My engine is 4 years old and is still going strong at 430rwkw. E85 makes a huge difference to reliability in these things.

Dale is right on the fact there is not many cars running the GT37/38 setup. Glenn is the only example.

I do like the idea of new tech wheel.

The idea of t04z with a well done setup will land me in a known ball park is also appealing. I kinda dont wanna be having a gamble on something that may not pay off for a street car too well.

Someone needs to do a back to back comparison.

Anyone have a hookup ar garrett, make it a skid factory or MCM video.

And best part I know whats best lol

Lev on ausrotary was running an extend port at ~25psi? with a gt3788 ( the "low flow" cast 63mm inducer compressor) with a dyno figure of 425 or 430rwkw on pump with a basic pre-turbo WI tuned by Omar about 10 years ago? Why not call Race only or get in touch with turblown by email and ask their opinions?

There is not Z fairy dust, yes 13bs respond well to a turbine of that size, turblown is selling shitloads of sxe and efr turbos/kits with that size turbine and 61-65ishmm comp inducers on billet wheels.
    Last edited by Slides; 29-01-19 at 12:28 PM.

Sparesbox have 20% off at the moment too. Im now thinking a GTX3584RS might be better than an EFR9174/9180.
    Last edited by glenn; 02-02-19 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Forgot the X int GTX

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Sparesbox have 20% off at the moment too. Im now thinking a GT3584RS might be better than an EFR9174/9180.
    I did notice that. I saw they had supercores, but i couldnt find a turbine housing that matched. I sent a query, no response yet.