Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13B turbo choice

Quote Originally Posted by mad_cow View Post
    I did notice that. I saw they had supercores, but i couldnt find a turbine housing that matched. I sent a query, no response yet.
    Turbine for the EFR's? Fairly sure I found them on there.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn View Post
    Turbine for the EFR's? Fairly sure I found them on there.
    Oh sorry I mean the GTW38 series. they had a 0.9 one but no 1.

That is a step down in turbine size. The 9 blade 35r tutbine is probably perfect for a 12a, I think I wouldn't want to be smaller than all of the P trim ish stuff on a 13b bridge, otherwise you would be better off with a mild port.

Quote Originally Posted by Slides View Post
    That is a step down in turbine size. The 9 blade 35r tutbine is probably perfect for a 12a, I think I wouldn't want to be smaller than all of the P trim ish stuff on a 13b bridge, otherwise you would be better off with a mild port.
    Are you saying the GTX3584RS is only good for a 12a? Everything I'm reading is saying its a better turbo than the 9180 (outflows it up top). There are a few 2J's and RB's making big numbers with them. I only know of a few rotors with them but they are saying good things too.

The compressor flows may be similar to the 67mm inducer and the turbine flow may be very close to a P trim due to modern design but personally if i had a bridge I would want a gt38 or the 74mm turbine BW as minimum and preferably a gt42 or efr9280 myself. You would probably still make big power and with e85/ a modern AI control strategy it might not matter as much for exhaust temps across apex seals either but it seems backwards to run a high overlap engine on a small turbine to me.

I would be very surprised if you did a genuine back to back on an efr9180 and 35rs and didn't make a fair bit more power at lower egts on a bridgeport or semi-PP rotary of course you would be better of with the 74mm inducer compressor you can get on the BW (9280) however, that is probably a decent competitor to the new gt42 and unlikely to overspeed on any non methanol fuelled 13b.

The 9180 was really made for racing classes and 9280 with 74mm inducer or if people swap the 69 or 72mm inducer compressors on later is a better match for the 80mm turbine.

The 9174 is probably a better comparison to 35 series stuff and I think I would still pick it over the garrett.
    Last edited by Slides; 02-02-19 at 03:08 PM.

No love for the GTX3584RS ... gen 2?
    '01 RS125
    '01 CR500
    '05 CR250
    '07 CR125
    '70 Mk2 Cortina
    '80 1200 Ute
    '12 Transit

Quote Originally Posted by buket of water View Post
    No love for the GTX3584RS ... gen 2?
    I reckon they would be great. No T4 housing ultimately put me off them.

I bought a EFR9180 from sparesbox last night. Will see if they live up to the hype!

according to this website there is a T4 housing. only 1.06

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...3584-T4DIVIDED

only reason i suggest it is because on the youtube channel throtl (shit click bait style vlog shit) rx7.

pretty sure this is the turbo they used but they ended up using a turbine housing off an earlier gtx35. just trying to find the video now.

my rx7 has a gt42 on it. I cant comment on it because I haven't driven the car yet ...
    '01 RS125
    '01 CR500
    '05 CR250
    '07 CR125
    '70 Mk2 Cortina
    '80 1200 Ute
    '12 Transit

Cheap turbos at Supercheap again this weekend.