Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes regarding goods imports to Aus... GST?

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW

Changes regarding goods imports to Aus... GST?

Just got this email from Shipito.com... seems that govco is starting to finger people buying stuff from overseas...

------------------------------------------

We want to update you on changes affecting customers shipping into Australia. New commerce regulations require stricter labelling on imports shipped into Australia. You can find the official labeling requirements on border.gov.au. Shipito system has been updated to comply with these regulations so you can continue to use Shipito to fill in your customs declarations.

FedEx Australia will no longer ship parcels containing consolidations from different vendors. FedEx has chosen to be a courier for single package shipments only. You still have options. Combining packages economizes space and weight, which can save you a ton on shipping costs. You can consolidate packages to Australia and ship these consolidations with Shipito Preferred AU Post, DHL, USPS or Airmail Economy.

If you have any questions please reach out to our Support Team...

I can't find shit about this on the border.gov.au site, would this have something to do with the threats to impose GST on all goods imported / bought from overseas online sellers?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Clusterfuck
    I am a retarded 747 captain who now sells waterslides in Perth.

Ebay is telling me everything I sell in Australia with have 10 gst
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Is it the 30th of June that the GST kicks in? Need to buy a couple of lenses.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Well I just ordered a heap of parts from the UK and US so I seriously hope I don't get fucked by customs, will be three separate shipments each under the existing $1k limit so let's see, with some luck they will be in before EOFY but I have to wonder what happens after that...

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Applies from July apparently.

Thanks for reminding me - putting together a Summit order now!

^I wonder if it's from the order date or arrival date?
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

As an individual importing under $1k seems fine unless you are using a consolidation service which the Govt now classes as a supplier.

Hence the email Jack received is Fedex saying they won't deliver consolidated goods as the AU Govt would class them as a supplier and therefore require registration for Australian GST.

The details are:
    Suppliers with an Australian turnover of $75,000 or more in a twelve month period will be required to register and charge GST.

make supplies of goods valued at $1,000 or less at the time of supply connected with Australia if the goods are purchased by consumers and are brought into Australia with the assistance of the supplier;
    treat the operator of an electronic distribution platform (EDP) as the supplier of low value goods if the goods are purchased through the platform by consumers and brought into Australia with the assistance of either the supplier or the operator;
    treat redeliverers as the suppliers of low value goods if the goods are delivered outside of Australia as part of the supply, and the redeliverer assists with their delivery into Australia as part of a shopping or mailbox service that it provides under an arrangement with the consumer;
    allow non-resident suppliers of low value goods that are connected with Australia to elect to access the simplified registration and reporting system; and
    prevent double taxation.

This change will apply from 1 July 2017.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Having gotten past my initial knee-jerk response, I've decided I don't really care ... if a place here were only 10% more than a place OS I'd always have opted to buy from here anyway.
    I'm usually saving more like 75% by buying something from OS, so now I'm only saving ~72% ... meh.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

As someone who deals with international freight on a daily basis I can comfortably say Fedex are cunts anyway so just dont ship with them
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Supraholic
    Shizzle, I buy a lot of used videogames from overseas for the collection, generally bulk buy - most of the time it's shipped with DHL though I assume its no change providing under $1000 value?

The legislation requires overseas vendors, electronic distribution platforms and goods forwarders many of which are multinationals with an Australian turnover of $75,000 or more to register for, collect and remit GST for low-value goods supplied to consumers in Australia.

"Australia is leading the way in taxing low-value imports. We will be the first country to apply GST to the importation of low-value goods using a vendor collection model," Mr McCormack said.
    So GST will apply on all goods purchased from a retailer that sells over $75k pa (excluding goods over $1,000AUD) to Australian customers. Don't know how they plan to enforce this? Are all international retailers going to have to submit their tax returns to the ATO? They also point out we are the only country cunty enough to our citizens to ever try this... End result will simply be non-compliance, or retailers refusing to do business with Australians. Thanks
    Last edited by oioioioioi; 16-06-17 at 04:45 PM.

Fucking Gerry Harvey. I hope he drowns next time he's bathing in all his money.

I still don't understand how this clusterfuck can even work. They've managed to alienate every entity involved. People are not going to sell to Australia because it is all to hard. At which point local retailers will go back to gouging us like they did before we discovered the internet.
    At the end of the day it won't even be revenue positive - and they still haven't told us how they plan to do it. Last time they held my parcel to ransom they charged $90 to 'manually process' the form. That'll never work on one dollar items from China.

I'm wondering how this will impact on Steam and other software retailers.

I'm taking a guess that they will focus on companies with an Australian footprint like Kogan, eBay etc

I suspect they'll try AliExpress but I doubt they'd get very far with that.
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Ebay is pretty much set up for it, but they'll force us to use their pox ridden global shipping program.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Just got this email from Shipito.com... seems that govco is starting to finger people buying stuff from overseas...

We want to update you on changes affecting customers shipping into Australia. New commerce regulations require stricter labelling on imports shipped into Australia. You can find the official labeling requirements on border.gov.au. Shipito system has been updated to comply with these regulations so you can continue to use Shipito to fill in your customs declarations.

FedEx Australia will no longer ship parcels containing consolidations from different vendors. FedEx has chosen to be a courier for single package shipments only. You still have options. Combining packages economizes space and weight, which can save you a ton on shipping costs. You can consolidate packages to Australia and ship these consolidations with Shipito Preferred AU Post, DHL, USPS or Airmail Economy.

If you have any questions please reach out to our Support Team...

I can't find shit about this on the border.gov.au site, would this have something to do with the threats to impose GST on all goods imported / bought from overseas online sellers?
    Lol, the other carriers will probably change their tune when they discover how much of a fuck around it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Shermuz View Post
    Clusterfuck
    You expected anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    ^I wonder if it's from the order date or arrival date?
    Probably arrival date, got to get their money some how. Be a cunt if you ordered a while ago to beat this shit and it's been delayed due to something on backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
    Ebay is pretty much set up for it, but they'll force us to use their pox ridden global shipping program.
    Knowing what a clusterfuck THAT is I'd rather pay GST knowing the stuff will actually arrive in one piece.

Agreed, though, I have personally fantasised about one of his race horses kicking him in the head...then sobered to the fact he would never even know what it was to smell one.

I still don't understand how this clusterfuck can even work. They've managed to alienate every entity involved. People are not going to sell to Australia because it is all to hard. At which point local retailers will go back to gouging us like they did before we discovered the internet.
    At the end of the day it won't even be revenue positive - and they still haven't told us how they plan to do it. Last time they held my parcel to ransom they charged $90 to 'manually process' the form. That'll never work on one dollar items from China.
    This. We get absolute raped on retail prices in Australia.

After the racehorse has kicked him in his head I'll rip his eyeballs out and shit in his skull. Him and all his liberal mates who made it possible.

i haven't brought shit from Gerry in a while and never intend to again.

Amazon is going to pack rape his arse.

Problem is that normal Australians are going to loose jobs because of his gouging which pisses me off too.

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but it's just leveling the playing field.

As a legit importer, we pay all the duties, customs, qarantine & then the GST on top of that, on anything if it cost's $1 or $10k.

Changes regarding goods imports to Aus... GST?

It's not really a level playing field though, because it's never going to be just the GST & duty. No doubt there will be a handling fee from a carrier, paperwork costs, etc. If I bring in $300 worth of parts, ok I'm happy to pay $30 GST and $15 duty. But it'll be a total fuckup if there's additional costs & fees for shuffling papers (as there would need to be, in order for the scheme to collect more revenue than it costs).

For example, if the admin fees are the same for a $30 shipment as a $3000 shipment... But I'm damn sure you guys don't bring in $30 worth of product at a time...
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 17-06-17 at 10:51 AM.

Imported some triple Weber's and manifold etc a few years ago ($1400 US) so up for GST etc. By the time the customs agent did there thing and I paid all the bullshit fees and charges it was like $350. Not this was when the dollar was at or near parity so GST would have been $160 max.

Quote Originally Posted by 1320ft View Post
    I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but it's just leveling the playing field.

As a legit importer, we pay all the duties, customs, qarantine & then the GST on top of that, on anything if it cost's $1 or $10k.
    The playing field wasn't unlevel in the first place. If an importer brings stuff in for resale he's really going to need to do it in bulk. Some of us just want to buy one thing. The reason for not collecting duty or gst on low value items was because it was uneconomical - and if you buy heaps it'll tip you over the threshold and then you pay.
    And wasn't there a rule about separate packages being deemed to be one shipment if they arrived around the same time for the same addressee? The system wasn't broken, just Gerry and his whining mates were missing out on monies they regarded as their right.

I used to import all my motorcycle parts, a lot of it secondhand, but nobody could satisfactorily explain how I could get brand new Japanese parts at retail price in the US and shipped to Australia for two thirds of what it cost at the local spare parts counter. Or tyres. I could get three delivered to my doorstep in 4 days from Utah for the price of two in Hobart.
    In the last couple of years the locals seem to have got their act together to the point where I buy all new parts and tyres locally. Next month the prices will start going up.
    Last edited by Daisy; 17-06-17 at 01:13 PM.

I was buying $950 AUD of Lego, and during the checkout process, a pop up suggested the caterham kit. My dad having a Westfield, made me add to cart without thinking.
    It took the total to $1089.
    Fucking got held up, and after all the bullshit charges, plus customs broker, added $300 to the total.

What should be 10%, ended up almost 30%.

Fuck customs, Gerry Harvey and John Soames from Pilot Freight Pty Ltd ... oh, and pop up suggestions at checkout

Registered User Cantilever Bridge's Avatar
    So will they be checking invoices carefully?

The car part sellers have used in the past routinely put up to 6k USD of gear through customs below 1k AUD, many huge boxes with shitloads of spares over the years and not one bit of trouble... Would have looked like a part orgy in the X ray scanner

Even if they charge 10% of a smaller amount, it still will not level things imo... If anything I would prefer some for of tax easing for the smaller people with bricks and mortar hiring staff and putting money into the economy...

But that would get rorted by shonky cunts no doubt... Why couldn't the gumbyment have applied the climate change policy template to this issue and done fuck all...
    Last edited by Cantilever Bridge; 17-06-17 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    For example, if the admin fees are the same for a $30 shipment as a $3000 shipment... But I'm damn sure you guys don't bring in $30 worth of product at a time...
    That $30 USD item (our cost) actually costs $40.5 before it gets put on our shelf.

And with 99% of our USA brands, we making around 10-12% margin on landed cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantilever Bridge View Post
    So will they be checking invoices carefully?

The car part sellers have used in the past routinely put up to 6k USD of gear through customs below 1k AUD, many huge boxes with shitloads of spares over the years and not one bit of trouble... Would have looked like a part orgy in the X ray scanner

Even if they charge 10% of a smaller amount, it still will not level things imo... If anything I would prefer some for of tax easing for the smaller people with bricks and mortar hiring staff and putting money into the economy...

But that would get rorted by shonky cunts no doubt... Why couldn't the gumbyment have applied the climate change policy template to this issue and done fuck all...
    Tip for players at home getting lower value invoices, make sure you make two payments One for the lower amount invoiced and on shipping label and one for the "balance". Trust me I know

Yea everything i buy will still be cheaper overseas, or simply unavailable here (which is why im buying from overseas in the first place)

Maybe Australia will start taking online retail seriously at some point? ..probably not

Most overseas sellers are pretty helpful as they realise it could impact them if we stop buying online. My last archery order they split it up on request and split the invoices appropriately as well and staggered three packages a couple of days apart (was no major rush) Now that's service, I avoided at least $400 in duty god bless em.
    Hide yo' wife!!!