Thread: PDM / fuseless wiring options?

PDM / fuseless wiring options?

I know about the Racepack Smartwire. It seems awesome. What else is out there? Im interested in getting away from fuses and relays, partly as a nerd project and partly for article fodder for Race Magazine.

The Rowe PDM60 looks good but is limited. Ive been looking at a budget PLC called Velocio which is damn cool and cheap, but can only handle 300mA so back to relays. The real advantage of Velocio is I can run a distributed network control via CAT5 cable or USB extension cable and get rid of nearly all the wiring in the car.

What other options are feasible?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

How man circuits, amp capacity, etc. Cheaper side have a look at Blackbox PDM's, ECUMaster PDM, or Switch-Pros?

I picked up one of the Rowe PDM60s which I was thinking about using it for basic functions such as lights and shit.

I have the Blackbox. Works great but only 12 outputs.

Motogadget do a couple aimed at bikes, they'd probably be great for a single seater or clubby
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Cheers gents! Shall investigate.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

There's another one called Motobrain motobrain.net which looks really promising. I have been following on and off but when I look he seems to have supply issues.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Motogadget do a couple aimed at bikes, they'd probably be great for a single seater or clubby
    I've been using it for ~4-5 years. Turned my rats nest of 70s BMW wiring into a breeze.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Quote Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
    How man circuits, amp capacity, etc. Cheaper side have a look at Blackbox PDM's, ECUMaster PDM, or Switch-Pros?
    What do you (anyone?) know about Switch-Pros? Considering this for a race car with simple wiring needs: ecu, fuel pump, ignition, starter, fan, etc. None of the usual stuff like lights, wipers and the like.

This seems to be all I'll need and straight forward to use. No worries about switches and other hardware bits.

SP-9100 Bezel Style 8-Switch Panel Power System with Concealed Mounting Hardware

Details:

Eight user-programmable switches
    Four 35A circuits and four 18A circuits
    Waterproof, Solid State 125A Power Module
    RGB Backlighting provides unlimited color options, using Color Picker on App
    Daisy Chain up to 3 Switch Panels to One Power Module
    Switches can be programmed for:
    On/Off or Momentary
    Ignition or Battery Input
    Flash or Strobe, with User-Selectable Strobe patterns and One Touch activation
    Memory Function
    Master Mode, with ability to turn multiple outputs On AND Off with one touch
    Automatic Power-Up upon vehicle start up
    Two External trigger inputs can each activate up to four outputs (Active Hi or Active Low)
    Lighting outputs can dim from 100% to 10%, with ability to dim during Flash or Strobe patterns
    Sleep Mode for minimal power consumption
    Color Coded circuit wires
    100 User-selectable switch legends
    LED Input Status Indicators for easy troubleshooting
    Time Delay Off function available for all circuits
    Splash proof switch panel with Polycarbonate overlay faceplate
    Program and control the system from switch panel pad or smart phone
    Bluetooth interface with FREE Apple or Android App
    Battery Voltage Readout on App screen
    No Fuses or Bulky Relay box
    Built-In Bluetooth Module

Switch Panel Specs:

RGB Backlighting provides unlimited color options, allows for exact matching to factory dash lighting
    Built-In Bezel Style Switch Panel enclosure measures 4 L x 2 W x .375 H ; includes concealed mounting hardware for factory-look installation
    Orange LED switch indicators
    100 User Selectable Legends

Power Module Specs:

8 Outputs: 4 rated @ 35A, 4 rated @ 18A
    125A maximum rating
    Waterproof and Solid State
    6L x 3W x .5H (excluding connectors)
    LED Input Status Indicators for easy troubleshooting
    Underhood rated 125 to -40C

Kit Also Includes:

11 of Communication Cable between Switch Panel and Power Module
    Color Coded Output wires
    Wire harness with Waterproof, sealed automotive grade connectors
    Power Cable with 125A inline fuse
    Switches can be programmed to be: On/Off or Momentary, ignition or battery powered, flash, strobe, low voltage disconnect, and memorize previous settings. There is also a programming function to adjust the brightness of backlighting and indicator LEDs.

A lot of offroad guys in the US use Switch-Pro stuff with few complaints.
    Rywire is another well regarded name, NOT cheap though. https://www.rywire.com/product-p/hp-powerbox-8441.htm

Quote Originally Posted by dsm2002 View Post
    What do you (anyone?) know about Switch-Pros? Considering this for a race car with simple wiring needs: ecu, fuel pump, ignition, starter, fan, etc. None of the usual stuff like lights, wipers and the like.

This seems to be all I'll need and straight forward to use. No worries about switches and other hardware bits.
    Havn't used one at this stage (might be doing one later this year) but in a quick look I couldn't find any bad stories about them.

I did question them about using to run an intercooler sprayer (with adjustable on and off time), they don't have it yet but indicated they would add it to their development list.

Thanks. That Rywire kit does seem expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm2002 View Post
    Thanks. That Rywire kit does seem expensive.
    From all accounts it's good stuff though, apparently alot of top level drift teams use Rywire in the US as do a number of off road racers there. Iirc Vin from Hoonigans is running a Rywire PDM in his S14. They also use the Blackbox PDMs as well.