Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JL wrangler

JL wrangler

Any one else thinking about buying one? I am thinking that I need a rubicon but 70K for a toy will be hard to justify
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	664038A7-7DF8-4576-98D7-CCF9DA7FFB75.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	605.1 KB 
ID:	110309  

The 3.6 and 8 speed is a seriously good and proven combination in the Grand Cherokee, I don't know about the 2.2 litre, it's from the Cherokee so it can't be that good.

I was only afforded a very quick drive at the show event but it was at least as good as in the Grand (the 3.6).

The extra towing capacity of the 4 door JL (2495kg) is pretty useful as well.

Looking like a 4 door Rubicon 3.6 is on the cards for me, but probably next year or after the stock has built up a bit so they might be willing to do a deal.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

I have beaten on my 3.6 wrangler for 100000km and itís been awesome, also own a 8 speed diesel GC and was really
    hoping for that combo in a wrangler.
    Going to test drive an overland on Saturday but I think I will wait for the rubicon, looking at the price difference if I go pentastar it will cover a winch and fuel tank and maybe leather.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B28A2E0-EBEA-44F6-86DC-D137364F2FBA.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	576.4 KB 
ID:	110310  

The one thing pushing me towards a diesel is the fuel range. My 2 door JK holds 116L and my range still isnít enough

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I have beaten on my 3.6 wrangler for 100000km and itís been awesome, also own a 8 speed diesel GC and was really
    hoping for that combo in a wrangler.
    Going to test drive an overland on Saturday but I think I will wait for the rubicon, looking at the price difference if I go pentastar it will cover a winch and fuel tank and maybe leather.
    Damn son I had no idea it was 5k extra for the diesel, that's a no from me. If it was the 3.0 V6 from the Grand I would already have a deposit on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    The one thing pushing me towards a diesel is the fuel range. My 2 door JK holds 116L and my range still isnít enough
    FCA made an absolute balls up of the 2.8 integration in the JK, an engine that is reliable in everything from yumcha shitboxes to thai built baby trucks was somehow an unreliable shitbox in a Wrangler, how much of that was due to them just not selling that engine combination at home and having a chance to fix up the issues?

That is drug money in my opinion. Maybe with the V6 Tdi and loaded with lockers you could envisage a $70k start, but I think theyíre a long way off.
    Either that, or Iím becoming a Forg.

The turbo petrol 4 banger looks like a good engine to consider in these also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Quote Originally Posted by vet 180 View Post
    The turbo petrol 4 banger looks like a good engine to consider in these also.
    Would definitely consider, but not coming to AU any time shortly..

Looked at one yesterday, interior is a massive step up over JK.

Atleast they do a diesel rubicon now. Fuck knows what they were thinking when they made the jk rubicon petrol only
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Apparently the fiat multjet motor has a good rep with most issues being DPF related. 450nm @ 2000rpm and a 8 speed should be a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    Atleast they do a diesel rubicon now. Fuck knows what they were thinking when they made the jk rubicon petrol only
    The last thing you want when you are genuinely rock crawling is a turbo spooling up to cause havoc with the careful amount of torque that you are applying.

They were simply thinking that in their biggest markets no one will buy a diesel anyway. Even on the big 1/2 and 1 ton big load carrying trucks 9/10 buy the V8 over diesels in the states.

Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

I'm hoping the prices of JK's tank so I can buy a rubicon in a year or two cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    That is drug money in my opinion. Maybe with the V6 Tdi and loaded with lockers you could envisage a $70k start, but I think theyíre a long way off.
    Either that, or Iím becoming a Forg.
    It's surprisingly only AU$7k more than the equivalent US price... but fuck me I didn't think they were that much either.

Quote Originally Posted by South View Post
    It's surprisingly only AU$7k more than the equivalent US price... but fuck me I didn't think they were that much either.
    All four wheel drives are pricey. Heck your Ranger ain't' a cheap proposition either. But in saying that FCA (and I've noticed Nissan also)have been good with pricing in Australia.

IMHO - I wouldn't look at the Gladiator nor the Wrangler. Simple reason is FCA servicing in WA is fucktarded, warranty non existent and FCA nor dealers don't keep spares for recalls. I'd buy something common that any mechanic can fix (cos they see heaps of them - Prado, Ranger etc) and spares are available locally.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    The last thing you want when you are genuinely rock crawling is a turbo spooling up to cause havoc with the careful amount of torque that you are applying.
    The 2.8s spool instantly. Its not a problem with even heaps more laggy cars than a jk.

They were simply thinking that in their biggest markets no one will buy a diesel anyway. Even on the big 1/2 and 1 ton big load carrying trucks 9/10 buy the V8 over diesels in the states.
    It will be more to do with this, and the changes to the production lines and engineering to accommodate it wouldnt be worth it i imagine.
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 13-02-19 at 06:34 PM.
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    A turbo diesel gives you good access to torque without needing too many revs and therefore excessive wheel speed.

I guess not a crappy little 2.2 diesel though.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

The 2.8s spool instantly. Its not a problem with even heaps more laggy cars than a jk.

It will be more to do with this, and the changes to the production lines and engineering to accommodate it wouldnt be worth it i imagine.
    Yeah with low gearing, big tires and load on the engine (any obstacle) you wonít notice turbo lag

Yeah with low gearing, big tires and load on the engine (any obstacle) you wonít notice turbo lag

It's not a big issue for most things but trying to inch your way across a rock obstacle where you need big torque then small torque etc, I definitely noticed it, in comparison the throttle modulation on the 3.6 was exactly proportional to the torque response due to no turbo and much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    A turbo diesel gives you good access to torque without needing too many revs and therefore excessive wheel speed.

I guess not a crappy little 2.2 diesel though.
    it's not the total amount of torque available, it's the variance in torque in response to throttle input.

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    IMHO - I wouldn't look at the Gladiator nor the Wrangler. Simple reason is FCA servicing in WA is fucktarded, warranty non existent and FCA nor dealers don't keep spares for recalls. I'd buy something common that any mechanic can fix (cos they see heaps of them - Prado, Ranger etc) and spares are available locally.
    Must admit, FCA is totally fucked. I don't even try to buy Jeep parts locally. Straight to Rockauto and here in a week, it's made my Jeep experience painfree.

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    All four wheel drives are pricey. Heck your Ranger ain't' a cheap proposition either. But in saying that FCA (and I've noticed Nissan also)have been good with pricing in Australia.

I watch a lot of Jeeps on YouTube - Wayalife, TrailRecon etc etc... and I suppose I never really thought the car itself was expensive, but I know damn well that all the bits they build on cost way more than the car did. I'd not bat an eyelid at 50k, but at 70k its like woah! especially on a car you can take the doors off very easily... it's just a Jeep Wrangler... super capable stock and slightly modified... but if you are going balls to the wall with a build then you'd buy the base base cheapy model anyways.

The Wildtrak, well an XLS would have done me, but I wanted leather, so I paid the 20k factory premium hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Daz7 View Post
    Must admit, FCA is totally fucked. I don't even try to buy Jeep parts locally. Straight to Rockauto and here in a week, it's made my Jeep experience painfree.
    The cars themselves are decent, the dealer network/support/FCA are bulk canceraids.

Then they do weird stuff that others won't, like actually warranty your car for mechanical failures suffered offroad / whilst modified.

Yeah they are a bit weird, any common problem they will do a recall and repair/replace but parts availability and pricing is pretty out there.
    I just buy genuine mopar parts from rock auto for my wrangler and my GC has only done 40000km so nothing has gone wrong yet.
    eg a couple of months ago I broke a cam angle sensor plug, common issue and there is a mopar repair kit, local dealer was $230 for the kit and $30 for freight with no delivery date.
    Got the same kit from rock auto including freight in 5 days for $40au

I spoke to long range Australia earlier in the week and they will do a free tank for the first JL that gets to them.

It's not a big issue for most things but trying to inch your way across a rock obstacle where you need big torque then small torque etc, I definitely noticed it, in comparison the throttle modulation on the 3.6 was exactly proportional to the torque response due to no turbo and much easier.
    Like i said not a problem, especially with the auto. Cunts are doing that shit all day long with td5 landrovers, and any diesel wrangler will be a billion times easier than the landy

Like i said not a problem, especially with the auto. Cunts are doing that shit all day long with td5 landrovers, and any diesel wrangler will be a billion times easier than the landy

Might have to agree to disagree with you there, the whole point behind changing to lower gear ratios is to get more precise control of torque and you reckon it's a good idea to put a turbo in the mix?

Anyway there's plenty of TD wheel spinning and bouncing around in this video doing the same climb as the Wrangler, Spanish Steps (from 45 seconds), belting down rain, minimal wheelspin and constant torque / accelerator varying inputs (I was driving):

Can't seem to edit the above post, but from 48 seconds is the Wrangler climb im referring to.

Might have to agree to disagree with you there, the whole point behind changing to lower gear ratios is to get more precise control of torque and you reckon it's a good idea to put a turbo in the mix?

Anyway there's plenty of TD wheel spinning and bouncing around in this video doing the same climb as the Wrangler, Spanish Steps (from 45 seconds), belting down rain, minimal wheelspin and constant torque / accelerator varying inputs (I was driving):

Iíll have to check it out when I get a free minute. I like this sort of stuff. But I would have to disagree with your reason for low range gears, itís not to get more precise control of torque, itís simply to get more torque to the wheels. I do a agree that an NA petrol does give more linear control though.