Thread: New fab business - test subjects required

New fab business - test subjects required

It's been a couple of years of back and forth but it's finally been locked in, & later this year I will be starting pre-production & testing of my own aussie built alloy radiators (the back & forth part has been designing cores & having them built).

Building them is one thing, but I do need some feedback from people in terms of how do they perform, and feedback on fitment (how well does the shroud mount up, clearance in the engine bay etc etc).
    The list of cars I'll be covering are:

- LC-LJ Torana.
    - LH-LX Torana.
    - VB-VK Commodore.
    - VN-VS Commodore.
    - FG Falcon.
    - 2006-2010 VE Commodore (Series 1 radiator....).

So what do I need, & what will you get out of it? Pretty much if your in Sydney, own one of these cars & want a free alloy radiator then let me know! I don't need samples or anything like that (already have the original radiators here...), I just need feedback on how they fit, do they work well etc etc. The VB-VK radiators are all the same so only need 1x car for that, same for the VN-VS.

If your car is manual that is preferred (if it's auto and you're only using an external oil cooler that's fine too. I'm not building auto radiators just yet....). Cores arrive in June/July so it will be tee'd up for the last half of the year.

What about the VL, not covered?

Quote Originally Posted by richzx View Post
    What about the VL, not covered?
    Oh yeh how could I forget? :P Yup need a VL too.

I'll pay for postage if you want to send me one and i'll fit it and report back etc
    Last edited by richzx; 14-02-19 at 04:35 PM.

No HQ to HZ?

Interested, where are you sourcing cores, local or china?

A lot of the early Holden stuff had similar core dimensions with different mounting wings - may be worth looking into mate as with minimal changes it could give you a much larger audience to sell your stuff to.

Quote Originally Posted by chartreusehj View Post
    No HQ to HZ?
    They use the same core as a LH-LX Torana so yup can use a HQ-HZ as a test mule.

Quote Originally Posted by matty12 View Post
    Interested, where are you sourcing cores, local or china?
    Sourcing from China atm. Supplier is awesome, most of their tooling is German (they even have some Japanese Koyo machinery). Just been a bit of back and forth with my designs and matching it to what they can currently do without forcing them to re-jig a heap of stuff.

Would be nice to buy local but I would end up being at the mercy of PWR or Adrad and both are direct competitors so would more than likely end up with me being back at square one. At least this way I have full control over what I get.
    The sheer amount of tooling, money & staff required to build your own cores is pretty up there (especially if you want to make good ones....). So PWR must be doing pretty well for themselves

Yup Richzx if you have a VL I'll put you down on my list. What state are you in?

I'm in Tas but I'm happy to pay for postage.

Yup not a drama, I'll add you to the list!

I have a feeling adc use a select bunch of cores for their product. It end up being a shit looking product due to the fact to make some product they use cores too high, compensate with a skinny tank and then try to jamb a 45mm fitting into it which ends up with a oval shaped fitting.

Will you make a hq hz that uses vl vs rad to suit ls1? Itll be a big seller!
    Last edited by matty12; 15-02-19 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matty12 View Post
    I have a feeling adc use a select bunch of cores for their product. It end up being a shit looking product due to the fact to make some product they use cores too high, compensate with a skinny tank and then try to jamb a 45mm fitting into it which ends up with a oval shaped fitting.

Will you make a hq hz that uses vl vs rad to suit ls1? Itll be a big seller!
    My end goal is to stock 100+ different sized cores, maybe half of which are specific to certain vehicles then the rest just being in 'generic' sizes so they can be used for custom work. But yes I will definitely do the HQ's, VL, VN-VS configured to suit LS motors (with the 2x steam port fittings on the radiator etc etc). I can get custom rubber/silicone hoses made too so I do have the option to make custom hoses to suit that kind of thing too.

What are your core specs tp, fpi etc or is that secretive stuff for the time being?

I can post up most of the specs when I'm back at work on Monday

I've got early commo & later vp model & not that far away.

On the gmh-torana forum you'll find lc/j lh/x peeps
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Hi Foamy Can you make a VL cyl radiator to fit in a VH for a LS conversion with steam ports etc?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ345 View Post
    Hi Foamy Can you make a VL cyl radiator to fit in a VH for a LS conversion with steam ports etc?
    Yup wouldn't be a problem, can add steam ports on either side of the radiator depending which way you wanted to route the hose. Could make larger outlets too if you're using an aftermarket pump, even weld on AN fittings.

Cores are being built as I type this, should see them by early June!

Got a manual VE happy to help in Melbourne though.

Wonder why you're doing FG but but BA/BF?

Probably a decent market for rotary gear once you get aussie stuff nailed down.
    Last edited by Slides; 07-03-19 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    Wonder why you're doing FG but but BA/BF?
    We are the distributor for Fenix Radiators, reason for building our own is partly to flesh out a whole bunch of stuff Fenix doesn't do. Other reason is a lot of customers want custom built stuff, outlets in different spots, sizes, AN fittings welded on instead etc etc. Fenix do the BA/BF currently so didn't put it on my list, no doubt down the track though we will build them though!

Thanks Gary will stick you on the list!

Sorry I missed the post.
    Have VN V8 I'd be happy to test/help if you need man? I'm in Canberra but can sort post and shit whatever you need.

(ps haven't started the turbo thing yet so still haven't got a cooler lol)
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

You fix the prolific oil leak? :P

Yeh mad I'll add you onto the list!

I want to put my name down, ford fg, auto with a external trans cooler in Sydney.

Yup done.

Well cores arrived the other day.

Got straight onto sorting what's what. Good news is my supplier listened to my primary instruction "no fucking shit recycled aluminium". Cores weld up mint! Couple of little things here and there that need addressing but overall very pleased.

Still ironing out a few bugs in the whole process but overall looking very good Above is the beginning of a VK 6cyl.....

2 row?

Yup, 2 row. 2x 22mm tubes.