Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ECU wires - where to buy?

Opens
    Ive done a few, both my cars have bulkheads. I did it for reasons, I've had zero issues. I use a genuine deutsch crimping tool and take my time.

It does make building certain types of harness's easier.

For most people its not ideal.

I recently did a bulkhead for a PF dude at his request. It worked out well, we needed to splice a haltech harness to an OEM harness and the bulkhead was a good solution to connect the 2 together.

I did a bulkhead for the race car, but that was for serviceability. In hindsight I probably wouldn’t have done it again.

That said patch looms are usually more reliable than some OEM connectors as it lets you pot the OEM stuff and the deutsch is definitely more reliable.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Ironically, wiring in a bulkhead connectors is at least 100 times more time consuming than unplugging two extra plugs in a cabin.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Question - what failure mode are proper MILspec bulkhead connectors having, with terminals that are crimped correctly using an 8 indent tool? Is the body of the connector failing?

The connectors dont fail. The idiots hanging whole wiring harness weights off plastic connector shells are the failure along with a dozen other fuckups leading up to that point. Strain relief goes beyond individual wires. Plastic connector shells work absolutely fine in a zillion OEM conditions.

Also circular HDP are retarded for almost every use people use them for. DRC have double retention of the mating connectors and are significantly more stiff, and have a few backshell clip on options for supporting the loom.

Crimping with appropriate tooling is important.
    Using appropriate wire for load is important.
    Keeping under total connector shell amperage ratings is important.
    Keeping under individual crimp amperage rating is important.
    Sizing wiring to crimp is importing
    Adjusting crimp tooling to wiring size is important
    Specifying connector seals to insulation size is important.
    Populating connectors with appropriate strain relief is important
    Strain relieving the entire bundle from g forces, its own weight, mechanical strain etc is important.
    Keeping within connector shell disconnect cycle limit (some autosport connectors are only good for 100 clip together/disconnects)
    And a zillion other things that lead to people saying they suck.

OEM's use bulkhead connectors in many industries for a variety of reasons, and never are they anything like 'milspec racer' shit, because thats inherently unreliable and a gimmick. Proper motorsport teams pioneering this shit are deliberately unservicable, unchangable, sealed for life, single colour, batch made units. To bring non serviceability to your home project car seems entirely retarded and redundant.

Subaru BRZ/toyo 86 prime example of how to do it right. Double retention on bulkhead connector, fully strain relieved slack wiring, and loom is retained seperately to the wiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

I'm glad you understood my brand of sarcasm Cracka, I know they don't fail when installed according to best practice.

Thinking about this for the MX5. Mazda, in all their wisdom, decided to integrate the engine loom in with the body loom. Now im not keen on stripping the entire body loom apart to get the ECU wires out and would far rather leave it all whole.

However, I will need to add extra wiring for a few things on the engine, such as for sequential injection and ignition (rather than batch), boost control and other sensors.

I was planning on simply adding a patch loom into the engine bay for most of these things, but now trying to decide how to integrate it with the existing wiring on the engine. Is it worth creating a pair of patch looms for ignition and injectors to join the factory wiring with the new wiring? Or should i somehow just splice in the new wiring?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

OEM looms are often too tight (pet hate is super tightly taped looms) but some times you can snake a couple extra wires through them carefully, using an existing wire as a draw cable.

Alternatively, snip off the 2 injector plugs, pull the ECU side cables back through and remove from loom. Splice the existing power supply to them and fork it at the ECU with quality connector and wire up a small harness for additional stuff. Extra style points for getting the wires through the OEM grommet and not a screwdriver hole in it

I'm about to peg board a V8 harness with a lot of fruit, I might do a blog post on it if I get time to take good photos.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    OEM looms are often too tight (pet hate is super tightly taped looms) but some times you can snake a couple extra wires through them carefully, using an existing wire as a draw cable.

Alternatively, snip off the 2 injector plugs, pull the ECU side cables back through and remove from loom. Splice the existing power supply to them and fork it at the ECU with quality connector and wire up a small harness for additional stuff. Extra style points for getting the wires through the OEM grommet and not a screwdriver hole in it

I'm about to peg board a V8 harness with a lot of fruit, I might do a blog post on it if I get time to take good photos.
    Yeah, in the past i have rewired using the original loom by just untaping and retaping the loom with new wires in it. But this one goes half way across the car and the engine loom comes off the same trunk as the headlights etc, while the ECU wiring feeds into the under dash main trunk for stereo and HVAC.

See here for the horror photos: http://omgpham.com/?s=harness

It seems that the injector wiring is a sub-harness on the MX5 anyway, so that should be relatively trivial, depending on the plugs and wires available. But the ignitor will be the harder part.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

What the actual fuck.
    Jason Broadhurst

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Broadhurst View Post
    What the actual fuck.
    Which? What that guy did, or what Mazda in their infinite wisdom did?
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Back on this again, anyone have a source for a good wiring grommet with a tail. JayDee and Gary Rowe didnt have anything workable.

Looking for something roughly the same size as the Haltech ones: https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-0...iring-grommet/

But with a tail, something like this:

(that mob only sell in bulk)
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
    At NZEFI prices i may as well buy a pack of 10 from the local supplier.
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

Opens

Quote Originally Posted by tim510 View Post
    Yeah, saw those. Still stings when you need only 1.

Gah, was out there yesterday and they said they had nothing like that. :S
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

I was pretty sure EFI Hardware had just started advertising those boots.

Quote Originally Posted by sssgtr View Post
    I was pretty sure EFI Hardware had just started advertising those boots.
    Yeah, probably didnt know they were in. But still annoying.

This one looks like a good option for me:
    https://www.efihardware.com/products...-for-65mm-hole

Chris
    ------
    The new nugget

I like the strain relief on both sides.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    I like the strain relief on both sides.
    Yeah, so do i. That is what is selling me on that grommet.

Now to just drive out to Croydon again...
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget