Thread: Which braided hose?

Smoke em if you got em! LINCOLN's Avatar

Which braided hose?

Obviously speedflow is a given for fittings but is other brand hose ok? I need quite a bit of 12an and $100 a metre is double others. Anyone have any luck with another brand for oil transfer?

I've used Aeroquip, Earls and XRP without issue, but AUD was a lot better back in those days.

came from https://www.anplumbing.com/ from memory
    Last edited by burn is weird; 26-03-19 at 09:29 AM.

Oo___oO

I have found earls braid is a sliiiiightly different size so if you use earls fittings with speedflow hose or vice-versa, they still work but are a massive cunt to get the hose onto the fittings (this was teflon braid iirc)
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2 | 1994 UZZ31 Soarer 1UZ-FZE - Cruise missile

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo View Post
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

don't waste your time with anything else.. cars are burning to the ground all over the place with the use of Chinese hose and fittings,
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

I missed the bit about using speedflow fittings.

you should view plumbing as a "system". the hose and fittings should be from the same manufacturer unless strict standards are in place that they are certified to meet. there are standards for the flare and threads, but the hose to fittings connection is not so clearly defined and in some ways proprietary between manufacturers. mixing and matching isn't worth the risk for fuel and oil.

speedflow fittings = speedflow hose
    aeroquip fittings = aeroquip hose
    Last edited by burn is weird; 26-03-19 at 10:26 AM.

Oo___oO

Ok. Thanks all. I thought this would be the case.

If you're in Melbourne you could do a lot worse than making a trip to MSCN in Moorabbin.
    Quote Originally Posted by piss98
    I wish Kochie would get blown out to sea and never found, in fact most of those dumb cunts standing in the rain telling people not to stand in the rain need to get fucked. Stupid tart on the news last night talking to the weather guy "wow you look totally drenched there whateverthefuckhisnamewas." No shit you vapid bitch he is standing in a fucking cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
    don't waste your time with anything else.. cars are burning to the ground all over the place with the use of Chinese hose and fittings,
    I do agree for rubber based hoses because they can be a lottery on the rubber formulation, there is Chinese hose that is great and there is Chinese hose that is designed for pumping water to a fountain yet gets sold for use as fuel line (aka Aeroflow fuel hose). That said, even name brand Gates hose is known for being shit at times depending on the batch and I've had Aeroquip pushlock hose start to push off Speedflow fittings so yeah.

PTFE hose is all the same, there is no local manufacturer, its all Chinese, the sizes seem to vary tiny amounts factory to factory but its almost impossible to fuck up making the stuff.
    Last edited by dnegative; 26-03-19 at 04:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Quote Originally Posted by 2rismo View Post
    If you're in Melbourne you could do a lot worse than making a trip to MSCN in Moorabbin.
    Marcos answered the phone and answered stupid questions even though I didn't buy the (speedflow) from him, it was a weekend.

Next order went to him purely for being a good bloke. Would recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    I do agree for rubber based hoses because they can be a lottery on the rubber formulation, there is Chinese hose that is great and there is Chinese hose that is designed for pumping water to a fountain yet gets sold for use as fuel line (aka Aeroflow fuel hose). That said, even name brand Gates hose is known for being shit at times depending on the batch and I've had Aeroquip pushlock hose start to push off Speedflow fittings so yeah.

PTFE hose is all the same, there is no local manufacturer, its all Chinese, the sizes seem to vary tiny amounts factory to factory but its almost impossible to fuck up making the stuff.
    Agreed.
    Well said.

I really wish you could buy fuel hose that's made to the same spec as OEM stuff, it must be prohibitively expensive to produce compared to what every parts shop stocks but I can only assume car manufacturers dont mind the added cents per car to avoid having to deal with law suits from cars burning down from splitting fuel lines. You can work on a 30yr old Corolla and the fuel lines are still great, use some maccay fuel hose and after a few years its rock hard and has to be cut off barbs etc
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Incorrect.. speedflow do not use any Chinese made hose.. speedflow ptfe hose is made in England. You will notice it has a black carbon liner not the normal white liner in the -6, -8 and -10 that the cheap hoses have..
    im a cunt
    and apparently i dont know shit...

Quote Originally Posted by chartreusehj View Post
    Marcos answered the phone and answered stupid questions even though I didn't buy the (speedflow) from him, it was a weekend.

The antithesis to MSCN in NSW, then.

Thanks for the tip

I really wish you could buy fuel hose that's made to the same spec as OEM stuff, it must be prohibitively expensive to produce compared to what every parts shop stocks but I can only assume car manufacturers dont mind the added cents per car to avoid having to deal with law suits from cars burning down from splitting fuel lines. You can work on a 30yr old Corolla and the fuel lines are still great, use some maccay fuel hose and after a few years its rock hard and has to be cut off barbs etc
    I reckon you need to be looking for FKM (fluorocarbon) hoses, the elastomer has much better aging, chemical and swell resistance than a cheaper NBR (Nitrile) hose for fuel applications.

Same for coolant hose, you will be want EPDM.
    Last edited by Greg Rust; 27-03-19 at 11:45 AM.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
    2007 KTM 250 SX

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by chartreusehj View Post

Another +1 to MSCN Melb. Taught me how to make up hoses in the shop, top blokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    I reckon you need to be looking for FKM (fluorocarbon) hoses, the elastomer has much better aging, chemical and swell resistance than a cheaper NBR (Nitrile) hose for fuel applications.

Same for coolant hose, you will be want EPDM.
    Any tips on where to buy retail quantities?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.